Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much cc is normal for first fill?

Hey guys,

I've had my band only a week. But I am curious about getting fills. How much cc is normal for the first fill?

It depends on what band you have, and the max capacity of cc's that it holds.

For example, I have the Realize Johnson & Johnson band and it is a 9 cc maximum band. For that band, my doctors first fills are usually between 1 to 2.5 cc's. My friend has the same band as me. She just had her first fill on the day of my surgery and she got 2.5 cc's for her first fill on a 9 cc band.

You need to know what your band cc size is, and then the rest depends on your personal doctor. Nobody here is really gonna be able to tell you.

I have the frenchmidband and the most my Dr will do for a first fill is 5cc. It depends on the Dr mostly. Every clinic is different.

I think everyone is individual in this journey. I have read where people cannot swallow their own spit with 5cc's in a 10 cc band. While I want to feel the restriction, I never want to be so tight that I cannot function.

On my first fill my Dr. asked me if I wanted 4 or 5 cc's in my 10cc band. I was going out of town right after my appointment, so I got a bit scared and opted for only 4cc's. I ended up going back 3 weeks later for another 1.5cc's. I do feel restriction now. I have never PB'd like many banders have talked about, however, I have had a few instances where I felt uncomfortable for 5 minutes while the food was passing the band (like a rock in there), I just have to be careful with chicken and I do not eat this when I am out dining and chew, chew, chew.

Gotta love the band (aka. the shock collar) :biggrin:- it reminds you every now and then that it is in there and doing it's job!

Jan_08 - Congrats on the your band! It will happen for you! :biggrin2:

I got 5 cc's for my first fill. I have a 10cc band.

Do u get your fills at the surgerical center. my first fill was at the center in Hurst and it was only 2cc now I need another one already I will go back 2/07/08

I just got my first fill in an aps 10cc band and he put 41/2 cc. It seems to be fine but it kinda hurts to eat and drink but i'm not sure if i will feel full yet. My next appointment is in 2 months so I hope it's good:rolleyes:

It very much depends on your doctor. They all have different schedules for fills. I have a 10cc band and my fills were 1.5, 1.5,1.5, and 2cc's. (total of 6.5) I notice there are a lot of people on here who got 5ccs for their first fills and I feel jealous of them (and understand why I have lost 18 pounds and they've lost 50!!!) BUT, on the positive side (I do wear those rose colored glasses!!!) I am kind of liking the fact that I am slowly getting used to restriction and getting used to eating less. For me personally, with all my food issues, I think I'd be struggling if I just started with good restriction from my first fill. Just my opinion! (and I'd still like to be 50 pounds down!!!) Also, I thought it was pretty interesting when I heard that the manufacturer's of the bands have even more conservative schedules for fills. I think they recommend .5 cc's each from the start! It would take years to get to your sweet spot at that rate!

I have 4cc's in a 10cc band, go for my second fill on Friday 2/15 and I need it. I don't feel restriction.

I had my first fill this morning - 4 ccs in an AP band. It's such a different feel than before! But, this tight restriction I feel now will lessen, right?

I have a 10cc realize band. My first fill was 12-1 and I got 3cc. I am not scheduled to see dr back until 1-19. That seems like a long time to go until I get another fill... Hmmm....Hopefully all goes well. Good luck all!!!