Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking about Dr. Lopez-Corvala in TJ Mexico?

Christal,

I didn't have an erosion. However, an erosion can be the fault of a doctor. Most erosions are a result of improper band placement in the first place. I had another issue all together.

Until you have a problem they are great. Once a problem occurs, be ready to get another doc to help you.

Great for you that you are doing fine. Hopefully you will never have a problem.

Dr. Neal in Olympia will no longer see Lopez patients without a consult and an EGD. That should be a warning to everyone.

I had joined this group years ago. Got tired of hearing people complain and saying bad things about my doc and quit. After much thought, people need a warning. You post your great success and I post my experience. That is what boards are for anyway.

To future band patients...The band works well. It is worth the money. Get a surgeon with less negative comments. Everyone likes their doc best. Do research and get aftercare close by.

I agree. Rest my case.

The main problem with Boards like this one and by that I am talking about all the others as well is that Promoters, co-ordinators, surgery schedulers ect are on these boards. About 20% of all the posts are made by these employees of the Drs. The presence of these "bottom feeders" has completely contaminated this medium. I say this because I have been around long enough to see it. I mean take a close look at the advertisements around edges of this board. These cost alot of money every month. The sole purpose is to reach newbies. A newbie will see the ad and think "hey these guys must be good they are on this board". Then the posts. Man can't you see they how surgeons are held up high by certain posts or the cordinators. I see that Joann has been mentioned here. I know her personallyI also know that there are a number of websites that are in effect the same site because they all lead to her or Beliteweight which are the same thing. Now thats sick. What we need is a site that does no advertising at alland does not allow folks to promote or attack any surgeon. Also stops private messaging. In a perfect world huh?

The main problem with Boards like this one and by that I am talking about all the others as well is that Promoters, co-ordinators, surgery schedulers ect are on these boards. About 20% of all the posts are made by these employees of the Drs. The presence of these "bottom feeders" has completely contaminated this medium. I say this because I have been around long enough to see it. I mean take a close look at the advertisements around edges of this board. These cost alot of money every month. The sole purpose is to reach newbies. A newbie will see the ad and think "hey these guys must be good they are on this board". Then the posts. Man can't you see they how surgeons are held up high by certain posts or the cordinators. I see that Joann has been mentioned here. I know her personallyI also know that there are a number of websites that are in effect the same site because they all lead to her or BeLiteWeight which are the same thing. Now thats sick. What we need is a site that does no advertising at alland does not allow folks to promote or attack any surgeon. Also stops private messaging. In a perfect world huh?

One more thing about ads found here. If you see an ad that says "get information" or "find a surgeon here" or "tries to make you think they have info that is open an available is not true remember I mentioned some promoters actually have several websites designed to send visitors to surgeons that THEY WORK FOR! I wish we could not allow any advertising at all!! No promoters at all!!! Also we would just give support to each other and not mention our surgeon of choice..... I am sure to get angry responses for this post but I am getting sick of the hidden tactics.JMHO!:thumbup:

My Spanglish is perfect! I know exactly what Corvala said. In any event "want2beme" The Angeles Hospital does not go by US Standards! You can be sued by saying things like that. If the hospital was the same then why is it so much cheaper? Look I have been around this stuff for 6 years not six months. I travel to Mx weekly, I meet these Drs. often and I can tell you the ones that are doing mega surgeries are making most of the complications aslo the ones that are very lo in fee as well. Do real research and you will see..

Well, I guess you know better than me if you are in that hospital every week. Why do you work with them if you don't respect them and trash them on this website?

Dr Lopez did my band last July, and everything went smoothly. The biggest reason, in my mind, that he is so much less expensive than US doctors is that he and Hospital Angeles doesn't have to pay so much for malpractice insurance. Also, the standards in Mexico are not the same in the US. For example, building codes are different, staffing the hospital is cheaper, medications are regulated differently, it's Tijuana, for heaven's sake, etc. I didn't have to endure 6 months of physician-supervised dieting with regular visits, my psych evaluation and "nutrition counseling" lasted 15 minutes. It all adds up. Plus, Dr. Lopez profits from the sheer number of bands he places. Sure, he's not the most personable of surgeons, but I got what I paid for. The problem is finding affordable after-care in the US, but at 7 months and counting, I'd do it again.

PS. I live and work in Wisconsin, and have no affiliation with BeLiteWeight, Dr. Lopez, or any other bariatric group, however I am a nurse. As you can see, I post quite a bit, mostly on the Lucky 7's board.

What we need is a site that does no advertising at alland does not allow folks to promote or attack any surgeon. Also stops private messaging. In a perfect world huh?

But if people didn't post their experiences with their doctors, how would newbies like me know who to avoid? :lol:

Great point!!! However, nobody seems to listen! How ANYBODY would choose Dr Lopez after ALL the negetive posts is beyond me. There are several really good doctors in Mexico with little to no complications. Why not choose one of them?

If I was picking a surgeon....and I read what is written about Dr Lopez, GOOD and BAD, I would run the oposite direction. It is wonderful that he has had some happy patients but that all goes out the window when you read about the horror stories. I choose to believe people when they come here and spill their guts and tell these emotional stories. It is insulting when you relive your pain and someone assumes you are lying just to bash the dr. Argh!

There are several Drs who charge the same price as Lopez. It can't be a price issue. Go to TJ, have Lap band surgery, be happy and healthy, JUST PICK A GOOD DOCTOR!!!!

Well, I guess you know better than me if you are in that hospital every week. Why do you work with them if you don't respect them and trash them on this website?

Want2beme, I do know better than you. Why do I work with them? Haven't you had to work with people you may not like or respect?

When you see the depth of pain and suffering caused by these "Doctor dejor's" you would try to say something to those that are possibly going down the same road. The solution would be to not have all these guys advertising all over this site. It seems support has become good business for some...

I know of a "doctor" that places bands for 3200.00 and its an outpatient setting!!! If someone wants the lowest fee this is the guy.

Lets see how many "shoppers" get back to me on this.

Great point!!! However, nobody seems to listen! How ANYBODY would choose Dr Lopez after ALL the negetive posts is beyond me. There are several really good doctors in Mexico with little to no complications. Why not choose one of them?

If I was picking a surgeon....and I read what is written about Dr Lopez, GOOD and BAD, I would run the oposite direction. It is wonderful that he has had some happy patients but that all goes out the window when you read about the horror stories. I choose to believe people when they come here and spill their guts and tell these emotional stories. It is insulting when you relive your pain and someone assumes you are lying just to bash the dr. Argh!

There are several Drs who charge the same price as Lopez. It can't be a price issue. Go to TJ, have Lap band surgery, be happy and healthy, JUST PICK A GOOD DOCTOR!!!!

So which Dr's would you recommend in Mexico? :thumbup:

So which Dr's would you recommend in Mexico? :thumbup:

I did over 6 months worth of research before I decided to have my surgery with Dr Lopez Corvalla. I read good and bad things about Dr Lopez before my surgery. The good out weighted the bad and when I spoke with a local Dr and he had attended Dr Lopez Corvalla's training (he trains American Dr's) made me feel better. Dr. Lopez Corvalla was a great Dr when I went to see him. They have alway replied to me regarding any issues or concerns I have had related to my band afterwards. Just because some people had a bad experience with him does not mean all his patient do. There are lots of complications and risk we take when we opt for this surgery. I had a good experience and that is what I am here telling about it. Why is it okay to vocalize all the bad but not the good? Where is the fairness in that?

One of the scariest parts of trying to find a doctor in Mexico is not knowing who to "trust." It's hard to know who is a "real" person, and who is just working for the doctor. I wish there was some lie detector test so we would all know whose posts we can trust! But we all need to exercise caution in health care, whether it's here or in Mexico.

I'm currently scheduled for lap band with Dr. Ariel Ortiz on April 18. Am I 100% sure? Of course not. For now I have a deposit down while I try to work through a little more of my ambivalence. I went back and forth between him and one doc in Monterrey. I just thought I'd feel more comfortable being closer to San Diego (even though I'm in Chicago!). Also, my husband is a physician and last night he had a phone consult with Dr. Ortiz. (Ok, I must admit I really didn't think he would even call.) And since I'm being such a skeptic, I made my husband ask a lot of very technical questions, most of which I didn't understand. My husband was very impressed.

I have a sister in Southern California, and she is going to visit the clinic next week, just to make sure their website is accurate.

If anyone is interested, I'll keep you posted.

Just because some people had a bad experience with him does not mean all his patient do. There are lots of complications and risk we take when we opt for this surgery.

And just because some of his patients have a good experience, that doesn't make him a good surgeon.

All doctors have patients who have complications -- slips, erosions, even some infections. But not all doctors are equal. If I have a choice, I'm going to go with the doctor with better than average stats, not the one with the worse than average stats.

I do not work for Dr. Lopez or any other doctor. btw.

I met with several bariatric docs here in California prior to my surgery as well. I chose Dr. Lopez based on the information I gathered.

I didn't want this thread to become a bitch sess, but it looks like that's what it's turned into.

Sorry about the content on this thread. If anybody wants info on this doc, I'll tell you, just email me privately.

Thx.

I was just banded by Dr. Lopez on Feb 29. I was so nervous about leaving the states to have surgery. I want to say that I would recommend Dr Lopez to anyone that wanted to have the lap band. It was an awesome experience. The hospital was so clean, the staff was so nice and spoke decent english, and the surgery went great. Dr Lopez came to my room 3 times after the surgery to check and see how I was doing. I got home yesterday on Sunday. I am a little sore but feel great. I am glad I can say that I am now a bandster. I lost 15 pounds on my preop diet and I have lost 2 pounds since surgery.:biggrin2:

I do not work for Dr. Lopez or any other doctor. btw.

I met with several bariatric docs here in California prior to my surgery as well. I chose Dr. Lopez based on the information I gathered.

I didn't want this thread to become a bitch sess, but it looks like that's what it's turned into.

Sorry about the content on this thread. If anybody wants info on this doc, I'll tell you, just email me privately.

Thx.

I appreciate your comments so far. I am interested in what you found out when you checked out the surgeons.