Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wanted to know if what happened to me today is normal. In our packet from the seminar, was a sample letter for our PCP to do. I sent mine to my Dr. filling in details for him, including a SASE.

Today his assistant called and says the way he usually handles a procedure like this, is I write the letter, then he signs it. So I wrote the letter, following the sample from the LapBand seminar, and am going to drop it off tomorrow.

Just wondered if anyone had experienced the same?

Thanks

Haven't experienced that but can speak from an employee of a PCP. Many PCP's have their patients do a dummy letter that they can retype because there are so many different types of criteria out there. When a PCP can get the patient to write the letter they don't have to guess at what the patient or insurance might want. They are hoping that someone has done their research out there. And the patients are happier, not upset that the doctor forgot to mention the BMI or that they tried a certain diet or ....the list goes on and on. When the patient writes the letter and they forget something no ones to blame but themselves, they take the time to make sure it is as accurate as possible and it usually is more accurate than if the doctor has to go searching through your medical records for the past 3-5 years to find the details (which might not even be in your chart). Hope this helps.

Very enlightening! That eases my mind. I've always loved my doctor, but was just taken aback a bit. Well, I've written the letter, so am going to drop it off tomorrow after work.

I went to seminar 1/10, have filled out all my paperwork, the letter from my PCP is the last bit I need to submit to the surgeon.

Looks like yours is full speed ahead!

Thanks again.

I am anxiously awaiting for my one on one with the surgeon to see what I need to do and if he considers me a good candidate. My PCP said he does so I feel good about that. Like you, many of us have alot of faith in our PCP. Another reason the PCP doesn't want to let you down and they really are super busy. We counted the paper that came across the doc's desk yesterday via walk-in, mail and fax that the dr had to address (not staff) and there was over 75 pieces of paper! Thats alot when it doesn't count doing progress notes and seeing patients. Good luck with your progress.

I stopped by the PCP's office today, and his assistant was walking through, so was able to hand her my letter. That made me feel positive, and that it wasn't going to end up in a pile on the front desk.

I work for a Physical Therapy Hospital, at their branch offices, filling in for the Office Coordinators when they want off. So I know about stuff on the OTHER end of the fax machine. There are some Drs who refuse to sign POTs now. Our company has gone paperless, and we're adding DRs a bit at a time, where they can do their signing for us online, in one fell swoop.

The office where I've recently been covering, hasn't gone paperless, and I'm about to lose my mind, trying to keep up with 4PTs, 1SLP charts. ARG! So I do understand a little what it's like. Trying to be my own advocate if you know what I mean, so I can keep the ball rolling for the surgery.

You´ll have to keep me posted on your appointment. Bet you're counting down the days.:lol:

I am. (counting the days that is). It is amazing the amount of paperwork and red tape everyone requires these days isn't it? Sometimes it feels surreal. I am looking forward to my appt but it doesn't seem real yet. I keep telling myself not to get excited that this process could take a long time but part of me does not want to accept that. And I have so much to do this time of year...End of year accounting and all of that. I am trying to stay focused but this is my most procrastinating time of year. So much to do, so little energy to do it.... Keep me posted too.

Yes, my informational packet provided a sample letter for my PCP to draft and sign. The sample letter normally covers essentials points requred for insurance approval.

Did your Dr's appointment go well?

I received my letter from my PCP, the one I did, Friday afternoon. Dropped my packet off to the Bariatric Coordinator this morning. So hope to hear from the surgeons within two weeks.

So sorry Mary. Where's my mind. Here's one I copy/pasted it for you. Hope it's not too late!

AMPLE LETTER FROM PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIAN

ON YOUR PROFESSIONAL LETTERHEAD

(Date)

RE:

(Patient’s Name)

(Date of Birth)

Dear Dr. Pleatman:

Mr./Mrs./Ms. (Name of Patient) has been a patient of mine for ___ years. The patient is (height) and weighs (weight

in lbs.) with a BMI of ____. The patient has been excessively overweight for (period of time) and having attempted

and been unsuccessful at many different methods of weight loss, would certainly benefit from Bariatric surgery.

In addition to morbid obesity, the patient is suffering from the following co-morbid conditions: (e.g. diabetes,

hypertension, obstructive sleep apnea, hypercholesterolemia, hyperlipidemia, ASHD, exertional dyspnea, urinary

incontinence, degenerative joint disease, osteoarthritis, PVD, shortness of breath, etc.)

**The patient has tried many methods of weight loss including diet pills (SPECIFIC DATES & LENGTH OF

TIME) with (# of pounds lost and whether it was regained or not), Physician administered diets for (SPECIFIC

DATES & LENGTH OF TIME) with (# of pounds lost and whether it was regained or not), etc. The patient is

limited due to his/her co-morbidities in the ability to exercise but has tried (LIST ALL ATTEMPTS AND AN

SUCCESSES OR REGAINING OF WEIGHT).

Family medical history is positive for (e.g. Obesity, hypertension, diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, etc.)

I feel that my patient would benefit greatly from bariatric surgery as a tool to help lose the excess weight, lessen the

co-morbidities and regain a more healthful life.

Sincerely,

Maybe something like this....:frown:

Thank for the post. I still have my 6 month physician administered diet before my PCP will submit my paperwork, but having this will help me to prepair by getting all my information together. I am going to need all the documentation I can get since I only have a BMI of 40 and do not have any co-morbid conditions.