Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Adjusting to changing shape

I was posting my myspace blog and talking about my shape changing and the issues I'm having believing how different I am starting to be physically. I purchased a sweater on Sunday and on Monday, went to put it on. When I looked at it, since it is smaller that what I'm 'used' to wearing, I had a gut-wrenching panic and denial that I could wear that sweater. I told my husband, "I can't wear that! It'll be too small! I just don't think I can put it on!" Of course, he looked at me like I had lost my ever-loving mind and giving me the 'then why the hell did you buy it' look. You know the look... the one that says "OMG, she's been to Zappos/C.J. Banks/T. J. Maxx/Kirkland's/Old Time Pottery/shopping, etc again" look. He, in his infinite wisdom, kept his mouth shut. Anyway, I put that sweater on and it fit, perfectly, if not a little big. I really have no idea how to adjust my thinking when it comes to appearance. Honestly, I hope that I adjust mentally, as easily as I have physically.

It takes time. I still look at things and think "No way that's going to fit," only to have them be loose. But at the same time I look at my pre-op pants and thing, "Oh %^$@$*# was I seriously THAT big?!?!"

:wink2:Everyone seems to change their ideas of themselves in diffent ways. People were telling how great I was looking. I was getting really upset because I had not seen what they did. But 2 weeks ago I looked in the mirror and someone new looked back at me. She looked a little tired but cute as heck. I am working with her to hopefully reveal a great bod in the spring!! We'll let you know.

Sometimes I think I'm thinner than I am. Sometimes I'm surprised by how thin I am. Just kind of depends.

My office has glass doors, and if I'm not paying attention and look into them, I won't recognize myself at first.

On the flip side, at dinner the other night (I was sitting parallel to some windows) I turned to look out the window and caught the reflection of my side profile, and was dismayed and how much "roll" I still had on my upper body. Maybe it's not that much, really, but to me it looked like a heck of a lot.

It takes time. I still look at things and think "No way that's going to fit," only to have them be loose. But at the same time I look at my pre-op pants and thing, "Oh %^$@$*# was I seriously THAT big?!?!"

i do that all the time. i have pants that i bought a few months ago that were on sale and they were 2 sizes smaller than what i was wearing at the time. i looked at a pair yesterday and said to myself, there is no possible way i can squeeze my gut into those. they fit and they fit well, maybe even a tad loose.

i make an effort to try on my size 6XL pants once a month just to show myself how far i've come. if im depressed cause the scale just.wont.budge, i try those on and it generally changes my demeanor.

I can soooo relate. How long will it take for my head to catch up? My nieces, actually gave me some of the jeans they won't wear... I thought, even though they are... NOT Small... I will never fit into their jeans. Today I was asked (while wearing them), "when will you get some smaller jeans - those are too baggy"! I was shocked. Will my head catch up?

i make an effort to try on my size 6XL pants once a month just to show myself how far i've come. if im depressed cause the scale just.wont.budge, i try those on and it generally changes my demeanor.

That is great advice! I am definitely going to do this when I hit my first plateau. Thank you! :lol:

What an awesome idea!

I have boxed up most of my old clothes and I am only buying a few pieces at a time to make it through, but man... it's very odd to change quickly!:rolleyes2:

When I started really losing, my mind couldn't grasp it. I actually thought my legs were shrinking and I was getting shorter because my pants were longer and I would trip over them. I actually fell at work on day because I tripped over my pants. It took another bandster that I work with to tell me that I've lost so many inches in my hips that my pants were longer. I was glad to know that I wasn't losing my mind and I wasn't shrinking in height!!

lol Amy!

I have to wear heals, boots etc with my pants now. My flats won't work because I keep stepping on my pants and tripping too.

Been there, done that w/ the long pants. BUT, I've had to go back to buying TALL pants, again because my legs are longer since my gut isn't in the way! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I had purchased a nice pair of pants back before Christmas and they had gotten really loose. SO, in my infinite wisdom, thought it would be ok to actually dry them after I washed them. My unfortunate decision didn't shrink them in the right places, however. They were still baggy as all get out, but about 6 inches above my flippin' ankles! Guess they are going in the yard sale box!

Hi,

I just want to tell you that you are a work in progress, be patient with yourself!

Also, we were banded on the same day :-) 12/13/07... You have lost much more then me though! Good Job!

I had this happen this past weekend. Went to buy some new, smaller clothes, and was still looking in my old size. My daughter had to remind me (after I got to the dressing room) that I do not have to shop in the Plus sizes any more! Yay!

It feels weird...

I'm not sure you ever adjust. I'm having real trouble with it, I keep saying here (and elsewhere) that I just want to lose 5 more kgs. People react with "no, dont lose anymore, you dont need to" etc and I dont believe them. But I think the truth is that I really DONT need to lose anymore, my weight is perfectly healthy, I just cannot really SEE myself as I am. I cannot adjust to not having to be "on a diet" anymore, I have been trying to lose weight since I was 10 years old, even though most of that time I wasnt even more than a few kgs overweight.

So even at the end of the journey, there's issues. I've even been panicking lately that I eat too much, yet, my weight has remained stable, so why the phuck am I afraid to eat when ALL I have to do is maintain. I dont have to diet.

And yeah, I still have to come back OUT of the changing room because everything I've taken in is way too big.

That sounds a bit like my friend Steph. She and her sister went shopping AFTER Steph's Tummy Tuck and she had on her size 12 underwear. Now keep in mind, Steph is about a size 6 or 8 now... I have no idea how she was keeping her baggy drawers up!!!! LOL She and I have chitchatted quite a bit about this. She's 5 years post op from the band and 3 years post op from her tummy-tuck and breast implants and she STILL tries to go look at the plus-size clothing.