Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Large

hello, i just had my lap band done on dec. 19th and at first i did not eat that much, but now im eating almost like i did before. it feels like the lap band is not working. is this normal? im going to get it tighting in feb. 6th. thanks:confused:

That is totally normal. I didn’t notice a difference until fill two. Now with self-control I have done Ok, but after fill 4 I can tell big time. Just eat slowly and ask yourself if you are really hungry and do you need the next bit. Also make sure you get your Protein it is a must to curd your appetite.

I start with a small plate. Put about 3 oz of meat on it, along with some veggies. Then eat it slowly (without Water, of course) and then find something to keep you busy. I eat three meals a day plus a snack around 3 or 4 (1/2 apple or SouthBeach bar). I only drink Water or tea after my 1/2 hour to hour is up in the evening, no snacking after dinner.

It takes will power at your stage, but it can be done. It's an excellent time to start good eating habits for the rest of your journey.

Good luck!

Bruce

This is what was explained to me.

The trauma of your surgery causes swelling in your stomach lining around the band. I found they also "pre-fill" (at least my doc did) the band a little bit during the surgery.

For the first three weeks, I wasn't hungary at all and didn't eat hardly anything. Then in week four it really kicked in and I would eat...not like previously, but a big difference from the week before.

My nurse explained that was the stomach walls healing from the surgery and the swelling going down, which made the opening bigger and allowed stuff to go through more easily.

I had a fill at 6 weeks and that slowed way back down....had to have a slight unfill and am now about where I should be.

Good luck and remember to take it one day at a time...that is what I am doing.

dab

I just had to rely on will power till I got my second fill and then I had pretty good restriction. Now after 6 weeks I am eating a little more and have to rely more on will power

I will be going in this Thursday to get my third fill which hopefully I will not need any more fills for awhile.