Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much food do you eat at your sweet spot?

I went in to get my third fill recently. I was at 6.0cc in a 10cc AP Lapband and eating 1 cup of food or just a hair more than that at each meal plus Snacks in between. However, I was still losing 2.3 pounds per week average according to them although I could SWEAR they have my previous weight down wrong.

I was denied a fill since I was still losing, although that's due to me exercising myself crazy so I will keep losing. While I agree that that's a better way to lose than restricting eating, I'm burning out hardcore and cannot sustain this level of activity. It needs to go down a notch. I just hate to stop losing before I get the fill.

I'm now eating about a cup and 1/3 at every meal plus snacks. Right after my second fill I was down to half a cup. This now seems like SO much food. It also makes it very difficult to keep my calorie intake low since the food quantity isn't terribly small. Any slip-ups and I'm done for.

I know the band is a tool and all but it sure seems like I'm not getting to use my tool terribly well right now.

At the beginning of talking to my doctor, I told them I wasn't getting hungry between meals but that was wrong. I mis-spoke since I was thinking of my in-between snacks as meals. When I pointed that out to my doctor she said "Oh now you're changing your story. why do you want a fill so much?" and she got very mean like I was lying to her. I just mis-spoke. I eat three meals a day plus 2 to 3 snacks. I tried to explain it to her and that I just felt that a small fill would help it from being so on edge with being too much. She said that even a small fill would make me have malnutrition. Does a small fill when you're eating a cup to a hair over a cup really make you go below half a cup?

I remember having restriction after my second fill and I was doing great. That's gone now though but my doctor doesn't seem to believe me.

I'm very frustrated that my doctor thinks I'm a liar and was very rude to me. She isn't my surgeon. I think she is his assistant or something.

I will probably try to wait a couple of weeks and call in to get a fill appointment and hopefully I can get one then. My weight loss is slowing down quickly. I do still have restriction but it's so so so much less than it used to be.

So back to the topic title. I'm curious how much food you guys eat when at your sweet spot. My doctor says 1/2 cup to a cup is the sweet spot. I was under the impression that it was closer to 1/2 cup.

I just really feel from the way she got hateful and rude that she thinks I'm mis-representing my food intake to get tighter. I dread going back now and I'm really unhappy that I have to feel dread going to get fills like I'm being interrogated and like they are looking for me to slip up in what I say.

I'd love to hear from you guy's experience. I'm new to the band and have only had good restriction for a couple of weeks so far. I need some more fill or I'm gonna poop out on exercising. I'm doing far more than my doctor even suggests. Just a little fill is all I want! I want to use my tool combined with exercise like it's intended to be... or so I thought.

Thank you guys for any input. It's great here! :eek:

Hi dustout :eek:

First of all, good for you for being so diligent with your exercise regime. It's tough keeping on top of so many lifestyle changes. Exercise, food, Water, chew-chew-chewing. Stick with it, but don't burn yourself out. Make changes to your activities unless it's something you really enjoy. I do treadmill 5 times a week and thought I'd be bored stupid in no time, but I my iPod keeps me company and I really enjoy singing along in my head while I trudge away. The time goes quickly and makes me feel great both physically and mentally.

As for your sweet spot question. I'm not sure I really know what that is. I have a 4cc band and got 1.25 fill after a few weeks and another 1.50 fill a month later. It's been 3 months since the second fill.

After the first fill my hunger seemed to disappear and it felt fantastic. There wasn't a lot of restriction, but I felt I only needed about 1/4 to 1/2 at most before I was full. That full feeling subsided though after about 3 or 4 weeks, so I was back in for a second fill after my weight plateaued.

After the second fill I felt the restriction immediately. In fact for the first 2 or 3 days I was woken in the middle of the night choking on my own spit. So perhaps too much restriction in the beginning, but it did ease up before I felt it was too much of a problem.

My doctor told me that if my weight stopped decreasing for 2 weeks or started to rise again, to call and ask for a fill. He's weighed me each time I've gone, but he's never made me feel guilty for wanting a fill. He told me to expect to lose only 1-2lbs per week. I think that having this low goal stops me from getting anxious if the scales stop for a week. If I were meant to be losing 3-4lbs per week I'd be quite concerned. Aim low and if you're lucky enough to reach higher, good for you. If you aim high and miss a goal, it doesn't feel so good. But they shouldn't be averaging your weight per week. If that was the case and you have a terrific week and lose 10 pounds but then gain back 2lbs the following 3 weeks, you doctor would just look at the numbers and say "You lost 4lbs this month, that's enough." I'd be concerned with an attitude like that.

What I've learned from this forum is that for every surgeon out there, there's a different list of advice and/or guidelines to follow. So what my doctor recommends could be different to everyone else who had surgery on the same day as me.

Having said that, I find the doctor you're seeing now to be very unprofessional and unhelpful. If it's at all possible, could you see somebody else from the same office? I find talking with one of the other nurses or assistants can help a lot. A different perspective on a different day.

So back on topic (sorry for rambling :cool:) if you're not happy with the amount of weight you're losing, first make sure your goals are realistic. If you're pretty restricted but still feel hungry, it can be hell dealing with a tight band. I don't know what gives us that "not hungry" feeling, but I've noticed it's not around as much the further out from your surgery date you are. So a sweet spot for me would be one that makes me not feel hungry, not one that stops me from eating because I physically can't. As tempting as that seems, I'd just be miserable with that.

If you feel your goals are realistic, and you have to be objective about it, then insist on having a fill at your next appointment for whatever reasons you feel it's justified. Have a list of your reasons handy. Yes, write them down. I always forget something otherwise. Explain that you were misinterpreted during your previous discussion and left feeling frustrated and very disappointed. This is meant to be a life-saving and life-changing journey for us bandsters, and people like the doctor you saw that day do nothing to help us keep that journey a joyful one.

Hang in there. :tongue:

I eat about 1/2 cup at a time. Last night I tried a cup of Pasta with sauce and after my initial PB I was able to consume the entire cup. So depending on what the food is I would say 1/2 to 1 cup.

The density of the food effects the amount I can eat. The more dense the less food. Soups, chilli I can eat 1/2 to 1 cup of food, salad I can eat more than 1 cup, other foods 4-6 bites takes care of it.

Depends, TOTALLY, on the individual day and time of day.

Yesterday I ate one over-easy egg for Breakfast, and a fee hours later a few drinks of a light white mocha from Starbucks, but it didn't go down well so I gave up long before even 1/4 was gone. lunch was 2 bites of chicken Jerky (I didnt' like the flavor). dinner was about 3 bites of grilled chicken breast topped with gorgonzola, about 1/4 cup sweet potato, and a few pieces of asparagus.

Thursday I ate nothing until dinner, where the people I was visiting wanted Red Lobster *barf*. At dinner I ordered a cup of clam chowder (only drank the juice from it) and the stuffed mushrooms (6 came, I gave 3 away and ate the stuffing from the remaining 3). I ate a biscuit, and ate 3 of someone's shrimp bites (like popcorn shrimp).

Wednesday I ate the broth from a cup of Tomato bisque (that's it all day).

Tuesday I ate 1/2 slice of a small Thai chicken pizza (lunch), a hardboiled egg and 1 tilapia fillet (dinner).

Monday I had half of a small lentil Soup (lunch), about 8 grapes (snack), 2 bites of chicken (dinner), 8oz of V8 fusion (desert).

Restriction for me is never constant. So there is no set amount/measure that I can refer you to.

what's her problem? I would contact the surgeon and complain to him/her. You shouldn't have to be worried and stress over such a hateful person like that. You obviously know your body pretty well now to know what you need. I haven't got my 1st fill yet. I have another week to wait.

is there a way you can request a different nurse/fill technician? or maybe next time you make an appointment make one with THE DOCTOR specifically. tell them you want to see YOUR DR., not his/her nurse. its your body, and the dr. had time for you BEFORE surgery, so the doctor should be able to find time for you AFTER surgery as well.

as for me, i just had my 4th fill and either i'm too restricted, or i'm at my sweet spot....either way, i'm happy with 5cc's right now.

i can eat 1/8-1/4 cup of food DEPENDING on what it is. something like chicken, 1 bite and i'm done. popcorn, i can eat at least a 1/3 cup or more....depends on the food density like the posters above mentioned.

i stear clear of bread, rice, and Pasta now that i'm more restricted....found out real quick that its just not worth it.

hope you get better results at your next appt...until then, DO NOT GIVE UP! this is a life long journey and this seems to just be a bump in the road. plus, you'll have great advice to pass on to others whenever this situation is done and over with for you....so keep your head up!

xoxo, christie

I actually think the sweet spot is different for everyone. I want my band as tight as possible, without interferring with drinking and nutrition. For me, that is the sweet spot. I want to lose weight with the lapband b/c I paid a lot of money for it. I exercise in moderation, and I eat what I want in very small portions, and that works for me. I think you have to figure out what you can live with, and what makes sense for you. You're doing great.

so, I know everyone is different, but I just had my first fill a week ago. I felt really restricted the first 2 days, but after that I can eat a bowl of food w/ out a problem. Is it true that it takes about 2 or 3 fills before you really get a since of tightness?

so, I know everyone is different, but I just had my first fill a week ago. I felt really restricted the first 2 days, but after that I can eat a bowl of food w/ out a problem. Is it true that it takes about 2 or 3 fills before you really get a since of tightness?

My doctor told me it can take 2 or 3 fills.

As I mentioned before, I'm more restricted in the morning and it eases up after about noon. But I will also have days once in a while where I feel like I have no restriction at all the whole day or days like yesterday when all I could get down were fluids. You take every day as it comes and eat (or not) accordingly.

Depends, TOTALLY, on the individual day and time of day.

Yesterday I ate one over-easy egg for Breakfast, and a fee hours later a few drinks of a light white mocha from Starbucks, but it didn't go down well so I gave up long before even 1/4 was gone. lunch was 2 bites of chicken Jerky (I didnt' like the flavor). dinner was about 3 bites of grilled chicken breast topped with gorgonzola, about 1/4 cup sweet potato, and a few pieces of asparagus.

Thursday I ate nothing until dinner, where the people I was visiting wanted Red Lobster *barf*. At dinner I ordered a cup of clam chowder (only drank the juice from it) and the stuffed mushrooms (6 came, I gave 3 away and ate the stuffing from the remaining 3). I ate a biscuit, and ate 3 of someone's shrimp bites (like popcorn shrimp).

Wednesday I ate the broth from a cup of Tomato bisque (that's it all day).

Tuesday I ate 1/2 slice of a small Thai chicken pizza (lunch), a hardboiled egg and 1 tilapia fillet (dinner).

Monday I had half of a small lentil Soup (lunch), about 8 grapes (snack), 2 bites of chicken (dinner), 8oz of V8 fusion (desert).

Restriction for me is never constant. So there is no set amount/measure that I can refer you to.

very interesting thanks for posting this. It must really depend on what your body can handle?

My dietition gave me a lists and said to include 2-3 servings of veggies and long with the required Protein....there is no way I can do that now. As a matter of fact I PB'd most of my main meals all weekend, and I think its due to my TOM (??).

But I am drinking fluids fine and still have weight loss.

Reading this thread just makes my blood boil. I am not going to gain weight so you feel good about giving me another fill and I am not going to exercise 6 hours a day to keep losing just so you don't have to do your job. I was a self pay customer so I do have the option of finding another doctor if that is called for but I assume most don't have that option. My doctor has been great (Dr. Kershinbaum) and I asked him during the first fill If I was to lose alot of weight will that affect my fill amounts and he said no. Now If I was to drop 30 pounds in 4 weeks I am sure he would not do it but that is not the case. My goal is to lose weight with or without the band but I am depending on the band to "help out" and REALLY leaning on the band to keep it in check once I hit goal. I paid 10k for this surgery so to not gain it back and that is my plan.