Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band vs Roux en Y choices

Hi, everyone. I'm still in the research stages, but I went for my psych evaluation the other day, and now I'm a little unsure about what to do.

I was planning to do the lap-band. My BMI is 38.6, and I have sleep apnea, high cholesterol, and depression (but with my meds, I'm fine). I chose the lap-band because I believed it was reversible and seemed less invasive.

After talking with the psychologist, I learned that the doctor has a harder time removing a lapband than simply converting to roux en y, so he will generally do the latter if necessary. He said that the scar tissue, etc involved in removing the lap-band is major, and so it isn't easy to reverse. He also explained that the roux en y is reversible, as well.

So, now I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to just do the roux en y. The only downside I see so far is the extra day in the hospital and a little longer recovery period.

You all had to make this very decision. Would you mind sharing with me what factors played into your final decision--why you chose the method you did? I'd really appreciate any input you can give me! Thanks!

Michelle

I always have to wonder when I see people in these threads say that the Lap Band is reversible--like wha-laa, the doctor can just extract it like a splinter in your finger! It really isn't as simple as some think.

I chose the Lap Band because of my age and the fact that it was less invasive than the Gastric Bypass--and I was a good candidate because I feel I have the discipline to use this tool.

My advice to you would be to read all that you can about each type and then make the decision that is best for you, m'dear. The very best to you...:smile:

Thanks for the response! Can you explain a little more what you mean about your age. I see you are 61, so are you just meaning that you don't heal as quickly as you get older? Thanks!

Well, honestly, I find I AM much more creaky in the joints as the years go by!!

Healing time WAS my biggest issue. I think it was the "four laproscopic incisions" versus the actual cutting in the stomach that made my decision for me.

But I do now (that I'm older) have issues with frequent urination, which caused issues at the hospital--at night I had an IV hooked up, oxygen in my nose, and my legs were wrapped in those manipulators and every half an hour I had to go - NOW~! :welldoneclap: Was all okay until the one nurse didn't bother to show and I ripped the leg manipulators off and never put them on again!

Of course, everyone has to totally listen at the seminar to ALL the options and choose the one that they feel the most comfortable with--these are our bodies and we have to live with the decisions we make about them, good or bad...! :wink:

Hi, everyone. I'm still in the research stages, but I went for my psych evaluation the other day, and now I'm a little unsure about what to do.

I was planning to do the lap-band. My BMI is 38.6, and I have sleep apnea, high cholesterol, and depression (but with my meds, I'm fine). I chose the lap-band because I believed it was reversible and seemed less invasive.

After talking with the psychologist, I learned that the doctor has a harder time removing a lapband than simply converting to roux en y, so he will generally do the latter if necessary. He said that the scar tissue, etc involved in removing the lap-band is major, and so it isn't easy to reverse. He also explained that the roux en y is reversible, as well.

So, now I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to just do the roux en y. The only downside I see so far is the extra day in the hospital and a little longer recovery period.

You all had to make this very decision. Would you mind sharing with me what factors played into your final decision--why you chose the method you did? I'd really appreciate any input you can give me! Thanks!

Michelle

Huh????

There is scar tissue but unless you are revising to a new procedure many docs will just leave the scar tissue.

Really, the only common reasons to remove a lap band is BECAUSE of the lap band. Slips and erosion. IOW, if you didn't have a band there would be no complications at all. Reversible isn't all that great when you throw a bit of reality in there.

Bypass is pretty drastic for a 38BMI. There is no going back with that one. Theoretically it can be reversed but that would be some seriously tricky surgery, 100x more difficult than removing a band. Removing a band can take as little as 20 minutes, reversing bypass would be huge and major, not all can be reversed and they typically are not. Look at the people with severe complications from bypass yet they are not getting them reversed. Why do you think that is? The scar tissue makes it close to impossible to do.

This is why if I had it to do over again I'd get a sleeve. Newbies like the idea of being able to reverse it but once you get a band, reversing it (removing the band) is like losing a limb. It's a sheer horror.

I don't think I thought the band was going to work so I wanted reversible. I think I had been on so many failed diets that I wanted to be able to remove it when it didn't work. If I knew then what I know now, I'd get a sleeve and be done with it once and for all. No malabsorption, no port pain, no infections, no fills and unfills, no restriction issues, none of that. After the initial 30 days after surgery you are done. You lose weight and go on with your life.

Don't listen to a psychologist regarding banding and bypass technique, honestly... this person has no clue what they are talking about. The psych doc may know about personality disorders but I'm telling you, they don't know squat about band vs. bypass.

OH this was the PSYCH telling you this ??? That makes this almost laughable !

Granted the do know a little about the procedure ect but to THIS extend ? I would question , OBVIOUSLY this person does not know what they are talking about !

I agree with WASA if bypass was SO Reversible why do you not see THAT being advertised all over the place and see patients actually doing it when they have complications such as not being able to STOP loosing weight. BIG problem I would want to be able to stop if it was killing me !

Talk to your DOC about this ! Also what WASA said bypass for someone with such a BMI Of yours is pretty drastic.

Tell the psych to stick to your head and leave your stomach to the experts !

Mindy

Hi I had the lap band placed on Christmas Eve! My BMI was right at 42 so I am a little larger then you. I choose lap band after carefuly researching what would work best for me.

I was just to chicken to cut my intestines, or have part of my stomach removed as some surgeries do. :smile: Some people really do not have a choice as they are not good candidates for a lap band. If they are going to get the help they need to live a healthier life they must get one of the other surgeries. Others insurance will only cover one of the other surgeries and not lap band.

I did not have the above issues, my insurance would pay for WLS regardless of which one, and my BMI allowed me to get the lap band. I spoke with 2 different doctors regarding the lap band, and both assured that it can be removed. But unless it was medically necessary "why" would I want to take away my tool that helped me maintain a healthy weight? They both (from different facilities) assured me it is removable.

Possibly your surgeon has not had alot of experience placing the lap band and is not comfortable with the thought of removal? I choose a surgeon who's specialty is laproscopic surgeries, and gastroenterology He has done thousands of surgeries, so I feel his skill level will handle any surgery I would need.

Maybe you just need to explore more surgeons and inquire as to how many bands they have placed. How experienced are they in other forms of surgery. Can they perform surgery Laproscopically?...ect The main thing is to feel comfortable with your surgeons skill, and be able to talk with them and get your questions answered.

All the best in your research!

Christie

Thank you for all of your help. I appreciate it!

I haven't even looked at the sleeve. Not sure what it is, really. I'll check it out, too.

The surgeon I'm meeting with is very well respected and specializes in roux en y and lap band. I don't think he has a bias between the two, but I got the impression that the psychologist did. The center I'm going to works as a team, so the psychologist, nutritionist, nurses and two surgeons meet every week and discuss all of their patients. I got the impression that the psychologist had a good idea what he was talking about, but I will still discuss all of the options with the surgeon when I see him. I'm really not sure which way to go. I know I need to do something, but that's as far as I am right now. The big pull of the lap band for me is the lower complication rate. I really like that. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Please feel free to add! Thanks! :)Michelle

I chose the band because the complications from the bypass were too much for me to think about. Although the weight loss may have been a bit quicker with a bypass, the band was the right tool for me and has helped me curtail my eating which was the problem. The center I went to pushes the bypass all along the way, especially because of my bigger size, but I just refused to go that route and my compassionate surgeon finally gave in... he now says, "That was a good choice for you!"

I did NOT want malabsorption issues, which often result in patients having to get life-long B12 injections. My primary care doc was happy with my decision because she sees many more bypass patients coming in now for BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS because they can't maintain Iron levels. You are young, if possible, don't go for a malabsorptive procedure, the band may take a bit more work, but the bottom line is to be HEALTHY for the rest of your long life!! Blessings to you in your journey!:smile:

Mary

I did NOT want malabsorption issues, which often result in patients having to get life-long B12 injections. Blessings to you in your journey!:smile:

Mary

Hi Mary, I'm new here and just wanted to say I too, had been waivering (for different reasons than the OP) on wether or not to do bypass (my BMI is 40) or lapband. what you wrote above has me convinced I'll do the lapband. I have multiple sclerosis and was diagnosed back in September and one thing that B-12 does is protect the myelin sheath that surround your nerves - which MS so nicely erodes.

Thank you for helping convince me that lapband is the way to go for me.

Dear jrob,

Given your health issues, it sounds like the band is a much better choice. I'm living proof, as are so many others on this board, that it works! I am 140 lbs lighter, very healthy, walking everyday, hiking UP hills, and feel 20 years younger after just two years with the band!May it go well with you and may your health improve every day! :cool:

Blessings,

Mary

I chose the Lap Band because of the fewer complications to the Bypass and because it was easier to remove. I also liked the fact that it would go slower and for me slower is better.

I think most of us that want to know if it is removable is incase of complications that would require it to be removed. I have found in my research which ended with Dr LaPort that both are reversable, but the Bypass is not only major surgery it takes about 4 hours and everything will never be normal as they removed intestines. Removing the Band takes less than an hour.

I was band last Tuesday had have had no pain, no gas and more energy than I did 26 years ago.

Bypass is not only major surgery it takes about 4 hours and everything will never be normal as they removed intestines. Removing the Band takes less than an hour.

They don't actually remove intestine, they bypass it. Most of the better surgeons can do it by lap procedure in about 2.5-3.0 hours.