Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Google and your privacy

Should we allow Google to index LBT ?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should we allow Google to index LBT ?

• I don't mind if Google indexes LBT since I understand this is one of the only ways people find out about LBT.
    • I care more about my privacy and I don't care if new users are able to find out about LBT through Google.

One of the LBT moderators contacted me about the following issue one of our LBT users is having with our web site:

"A bandster just discovered that you can do a "google search" using your screen name and all of your LBT posts will pull up. It's one thing if someone logs into LBT and reads the post. But it seems like a major violation of privacy when someone can just do a "google search" for that same info.

Is there anything that can be done to block that from happening?

Bandsters have posted their pictures, a lot of personal information, a lot of heart to heart talks back and forth, and they feel "safe" at LBT. Now this has members afraid."

This is a really good point but I'm not sure what to do about this problem. If LBT is not indexed by Google how will new LB users find our web site ? We receive most of our new visitors and users through Google.

It is possible for me to block Google from indexing LBT but I'm not sure this is really the answer to the problem.

I'd love to hear what the LBT community has to say about this issue please.

Please vote in our poll since your opinions will weight heavily on my decision to allow or to ban Google from indexing LBT.

I have just removed my picture and any of my personal info form my user CP

With doing that I have no problem if they do a search..

the only thing that can really be done is to use a screen name or nickname...mine for instance is shellyj...my real name is michelle and my last name is info i chose not to divulge.

someone would have to know the nickname given to me by co-workers at my old job and know that thats the screename i chose.

you probably shouldnt be using your real name anyway...there could be a weirdo bandstalker somewhere just waiting in the lurches...

michelle wouldntyouliketoknow (lol)

Alex, is it possible that LBT can be indexed as a forum, but not our profiles and posts?

I don't have a problem w/someone reading my posts or profile if they've gone to the trouble of logging into LBT.

Alex, is it possible that LBT can be indexed as a forum, but not our profiles and posts?

I don't have a problem w/someone reading my posts or profile if they've gone to the trouble of logging into LBT.

Marie,

I've tried this in the past and it just does not work correctly. I wish it was that simple ;-) .

I've thought about this a lot, since I post elsewhere and it's come up before. I understand why people might be discomfited by Google's ability to scan individual posts, and I do sort of wish it wouldn't do that. But by the same token, Google is scanning so many other boards in the same way that the overwhelming weight of indexed posts buries any concerns I might have about mine being accessible.

When I was first searching for info on banding, some of the best sources I found were message boards. People should know that nothing posted publicly on the web is ever private, and we should be careful to conceal enough information to keep us as anonymous as we want to be.

My picture, profile, and posts are not that private to me. If they were I would not have started participating in this forum. I just chose what to divulge in my profile.

My profile is edited...Texas is a big state..and being on a LapBand website..kellymoose isn't that weird.....so keeping on spidering!!!

I think there is a difference between a site being registered with search engines, and individual posts within that site being pulled up.

HTML code provides coding for "keywords" or "search words" that allows search engines to find the site based on that, and I know it's possible to submit the site with those keywords to the most popular search engines. At least that used to be the case a few years ago. I don't believe it is necessary to have the WHOLE site contents indexed.

I definitely think this site should be found using a search on WLS, LapBand, etc. But finding this site solely based on a user name, or even a phrase from a post, is pretty creepy, what with more and more stalkers and obsessive/compulsive people out there.

If there were an option, I would vote to NOT index the whole LBT site, but limit the search engines to finding the site by the keywords provided in the HTML code.

However, if indexing the whole site is the only option for people to find us... I guess I'd have to say we should be indexed.

I view LBT as a public place, the same as if we were meeting at a coffee shop or the park. I know that I have no privacy on the net, other than how I choose to obscure myself. When I finally get around to posting pix of myself, the before and afters for instance, I will not have any problem with it being on the net. Okay, well, maybe the before pix... :)

I found this place through a google search, and I am so greatful that I was able to do so. I am continually inpressed with the quality of people here, their willingness to share, educate and commiserate. I feel physically isolated being in ID where I have no access to any support groups. LBT is my support group.

I have learned so much from everyone here, and I am most greatful that y'all have chosen to share the stories from your journey in a public forum, such as the internet.

I haven't gotten brave enough to post pics or an avatar, but this makes me sad to see people that I regularly "talk" with now removing theirs. I've enjoyed their smiling faces here every day. I like knowing what "neck of the woods" they're in.

I agree, Marie, but totally understand. This comes up every so often and people have to gauge their comfort level.

I just googled "Alexandra lap-band" and one of the first things that came up was my signature from Spotlight Health signature. Including my weight! That gave me a turn, I must admit. :D But I can't possibly imagine what nefarious purposes someone could put that to, so I'm dealing with it. :)