Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: How long before you went back to work

How long until you returned to work?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How long until you returned to work?

• 1 to 3 days
    • one week later
    • 10 days to 2 weeks later
    • 2 weeks or more

I will be banded on Feb. 13th and am worried about needing to take too much time off.

How long until you went back to work? If possible, what kind of job, i.e. desk job, etc. I'm in sales and need to run around and carry my briefcase which can be kinda heavy.

Marieze

I couldn't answer the poll. I went back at 4 days post-op. I was still pretty weak. At 5 days, I did a bit better. I was operating at about 75% until 10 days post-op when I was feeling 100% better.

I have a medium-level physical job. I work night security patrol. Getting in and out of a patrol vehicle a couple dozen times all night long, walking through properties, etc.

We do need a 4-6 day option up there.

I have a job where I spend a lot of time sitting, and I am also set up to work from home and had been approved to work from home if I felt up to it even though I had scheduled a week off.

I had my surgery on the morning of January 3rd. I honestly felt like I could have put in a few hours the following afternoon, which was a Friday-but I didn't. The next work day was Monday and I worked 5 hours and thought I would go back full time Tuesday (this week). Monday evening I went grocery shopping and on the way out of the store I realized that I had become sore and tired. My alarm went off Tuesday morning and I was exhausted so I didn't work that day. Wednesday was my last scheduled vacation day, but I worked 5 hours and felt fine Thursday when I went into the office to work a full day. I also worked a full day Friday and feel fine...(as you can see since I am posting at 1:25 in the morning).

I will add that if it hadn't been an option for me to work from home I would have taken the full week off. I did feel like I needed this time to myself and not have to deal with the firing squad of questions I got on the day I returned to the office. Working from home also allowed me to roll out of bed at the last possible minute and go to work in my pj's. I don't think I would have been up to "getting ready for work" if I'd had to go into the office.

I think this does vary by person, but this topic comes up a lot on this site and the general consensus seems to be (depending on the activity level of your job) that most people can return to work after 7-10 days.

I will be banded on Feb. 13th and am worried about needing to take too much time off.

...carry my briefcase which can be kinda heavy.

Marieze

I just saw this second part of your original question. I am now 9 days post op and am just now starting to lift, not carry, my 45 lb son-I have not carried him anywhere since surgery. But I hope for your sake that your briefcase doesn't weigh that much!

If you don't have any complications following surgery, and you heal pretty quickly then I'd bet you'll feel up to working a week after your surgery.

I went into surgery with the mind set that I heal quickly and I have a high pain tolerance. But the quick healing process still surprised me.

Thanks for the replies....I've never done a poll so I didn't do a very good job!

But any information anyone else would like to post about going back to work is appreciated.

Again, thanks for the post's....it gives me some real perspective.

Marieze

When I was researching Drs, one of the sites said that he had a lap band when he first started doing te procedure and was back operating 2 days later.

I'm really hoping I don't need much time off when I get mine done because I used up most of my annual leave and sick leave when in hospital last year so I'm hoping less than a week.

Five days -- surgery on Thursday and I returned to work on Tuesday. I tutor math (move from table to table) and teach several classes a week. Rather than get up and down, I rolled around in a chair more often. My lectures are on PowerPoint so I sat through most of my first few lectures and used a laser pointer. I wasn't really in pain but just a little weak and tired. I also had time between classes to rest. By the next week, I was fine.

It was 3.5 weeks before I went back to work because I am teacher and did it over winter break. I am so glad that I had all this time! I felt good enough to go back after about 1.5 weeks, but it would have been somewhat difficult.

My doctor did not allow lapband patients to return to work until after 2 full weeks of recovery at home. I kept myself somewhat active by short walks and the like, but no lifting whatsoever during that period. Although I have a desk job, I really needed the full 2 weeks to heal and get my strength back. I had a laparoscopic procedure done about 10 years ago & at the time I felt the need to return to work within a few days time. I paid the price. I ended up with a number of complications and then developed adhesions from being too active too soon, which I still feel to this day. I learned my lesson & felt no remorse for "babying" myself for this procedure!

I had surgery on a Monday and felt like I could have returned to work on Wednesday, but my doctor told me to take a week off, so I did. Saw him that Friday and was back at work on Monday. However, I have a desk job, so it was pretty easy.

I had surgery on Friday and was back at work on Monday and no one knew a thing about it. I was a little sore but nothing the pain meds didn't take care of. I have primarily a desk job but am up and down a lot. I also had a 12 month old son at home, I didn't lift him over the weekend but by Monday I was also lifting and carrying him with my doctor's blessing.

My doctor said I should be able to return to work within 3 to 5 days. I am a teacher and had to return after 7 days. I was told not to lift anything so I made sure to photocopy any sheets I needed and did not carry anything heavy.

unfortunately I think I could have used 2 weeks off. that is when I felt ready to return. If I had to do it over again I would have taken a full 2 weeks off.

I took off the day of surgery and the next day. Went back to work expecting to sit at my desk and work on the computer as usual.

Don't you know there were meetings that day all over the building. I was in considerable pain and had to take 1/2 doses so I wouldn't get loopy at work. The next day was much better and I didn't have to take any pain meds - but had it with me just in case :smile:

I was banded on 1/4/08 which was a Friday and I went back to work on Monday 01/07/08. I was very tired but I made it! I am an accounting manager, I do sit at a desk, but I also have to walk alot!