Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

starting BMI over 50? come on in!

Congratulations to all bandsters! May we all have continued success this 2008.:tongue:

It is a happy new year for me... I am down 100 pounds! There are many of us who have met this mark, and we continue on our journey.

Cheers- here's to us, and the many "losers" that came before us, and to those who shall follow. :wink:

IF YOU ARE EVEN THINKING ABOUT GETTING A BAND, GO GET INFO NOW NOT LATER..

My Mom was scheduled to get her band Dec.19th 2007- she instead had a triple bypass heart surgery, followed by many complications, blood clots, bad reactions to meds, etc.. and results are that the triple/bypass needs to be completely redone when/if she gains enough strength back to make it through such an ordeal -again.

I will continue to count my blessing, I have had the opportunity to lose 100 pounds... before her story, became mine.

Keeping you all in my thoughts daily, Kimberly

Hello all,

my name is Kaly and I am new on this site. I have a friend of the family who had a band put in in july and so I thought I would sign up as well.. I saw this section I def thought I would post. I am going to get banded in the end of february and i am starting my liquid diet on monday. my starting weight in november was 352 and I am now proud to say it is 327. I have met my 10 % !!! Since my BMI is over 50 they are making me do the liquid diet for four weeks. Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this long period of time?

Kaly Nicole:eek:

Singinmusicchick... Welcome and Congratulations on starting your journey. How's the family friend doing with the band?

LIQUIDS.. I only had to do two weeks.. but variety was key for me. And lots of Protein too.. it helps me feel fuller longer on liquids! Good luck.. Keep on posting.

Thanx maziemommy.. I am sooo happy to have found this place.. I started my liquid today and i am ooh so hungry.. you seem to be doing great losing!! good job!!! How did you curve the hunger?

Kaly

Hi! I am getting banded on the 17th. BMI is 57 now. Was up to 60 at one point. Just lost 20 on my low carb pre-op diet.

Very inspiring to see the successes high BMI'ers have had! Keep up the amazing work! I hope to be there someday too. :smile:

If you make your own shakes, try adding sugar free (SF) davinci syrups to the vanilla or chocolate powders. I love the SF Marshmallow + SF White chocolate davinci flavors.

I've read that some bandsters have chewed SF gum to help with the chewing urges.

Realize the liquid diet is temporary and that you are saving your life, quite literally. By doing the liquid diet, you are reducing the fat in your liver, which will help the Surgeons.

You will do great! I believe in you.

Cherlita

Loveland, Colorado

379/356/200

pre-op/current/goal

11.27.07: Banded

weight.png

Hey all -

I am relatively new to the site. My BMI is around 61. I went to 4 seminars before picking The Bariatric Center of Kansas City and Dr. Hitchcock.

I am in the insurance approval step and need to lose about 60 lbs before I will be considered a candidate for surgery. I have lost 16 lbs so far, so I am on track for surgery some time in the summer, June perhaps?

I look forward to learning from and sharing my journey with you all.

John

KCbigguy... 60# requirement? You can do it. Good luck.

I'm not too far from you (assuming your in/near KC).. I'm in Springfield MO.

Hello all,

my name is Kaly and I am new on this site. I have a friend of the family who had a band put in in july and so I thought I would sign up as well.. I saw this section I def thought I would post. I am going to get banded in the end of february and i am starting my liquid diet on monday. my starting weight in november was 352 and I am now proud to say it is 327. I have met my 10 % !!! Since my BMI is over 50 they are making me do the liquid diet for four weeks. Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this long period of time?

Hi Kaly,

I had to do Optifast for 4 weeks pre-op. It was hard and I did lapse a couple of times, but I refused to look at it as 4 weeks I told myself that I had to stick to it for a week - just 7 days. At the end of those 7 days i just looked at the next and reminded myself that there was only 2 more weeks before my op and I started a new and exciting phase in my life. So week 3 came and again just aimed to get through 7 days etc.

What does your diet consist of?

Danna:happy:

Hello all,

my name is Kaly ...

Hey all -

John

Hi Kaly & John,

I just wanted to say welcome. Thanks for joining us. There are lots of wonderful folks out here to help support, learn from and share with.

Again welcome and best wishes!

Mary

I found my way over to the new forum. Just thought I would say HI, I am not on here as much anymore, as I never seem to have anything to report. Very slow loser here, get very frustrated at times.

Chrissie

I found my way over to the new forum. Just thought I would say HI, I am not on here as much anymore, as I never seem to have anything to report. Very slow loser here, get very frustrated at times.

Chrissie

Hi Chrissie,

You sound discouraged. Please don't be. Can I ask if know why your progress is not what you are expecting?

The thing I love about the band is that it is always there when you want to engage it. My surgeon even encouraged me to let the fill out when I want to go on holiday and eat a little more (the thought of this terrifies me to be honest). The band's flexibility is one of its strengths.

You can do it Chrissie. Please seek support out here. If you would like to "speak" privately, please PM me.

Wishing the best for you,

Mary

Hi Chrissie,

You sound discouraged. Please don't be. Can I ask if know why your progress is not what you are expecting?

The thing I love about the band is that it is always there when you want to engage it. My surgeon even encouraged me to let the fill out when I want to go on holiday and eat a little more (the thought of this terrifies me to be honest). The band's flexibility is one of its strengths.

You can do it Chrissie. Please seek support out here. If you would like to "speak" privately, please PM me.

Wishing the best for you,

Mary

Thanks Mary,

I am discouraged. After a year of the band, thought I would have lost alot more. I eat 800-1000 calories per day and am very careful with my diet. I dont exercise as much as I should, but I thought the dieting alone would take off more than it has. Thanks for the kind words. I am not giving up, but the struggle does get harder and harder.

Chrissie

Thanks Mary,

I am discouraged. After a year of the band, thought I would have lost alot more. I eat 800-1000 calories per day and am very careful with my diet. I dont exercise as much as I should, but I thought the dieting alone would take off more than it has. Thanks for the kind words. I am not giving up, but the struggle does get harder and harder.

Chrissie

Chrissie, (I AM NOT AN MEDICAL EXPERT OR NUTRITIONIST) I don't think you are not eating enough calories. With that low of calorie intake I think your body is in starvation mode so it's holding on to everything. That has been my personal experience.

Your body needs fuel to burn the fat off. I strongly suggest you see a Nutritionist who is lapband friendly/knowlegdable so that you can review your calorie and food intake and perhaps make suggestions. Perhaps that might make a difference.

At least talk to your Surgeon about it.

Just my two cents!

Cherlita

Thanks Mary,

Chrissie

I too thought that low volume eating would strip off the pounds.

I had to eat 600 cal. daily with no exercise to lose a little... felt weary, weak, frail, and very tired, but did not have to exercise. hahaha

Now, with a little exercise, slowly increasing the amount or intensity, I can eat 1500 and feel great.... AND LOSE WEIGHT. Sorry to tell ya', and it was hard for me to accept, EXERCISE and low volume eating = weight loss. Good luck and keep your chin up. Feel free to PM for extra info. or support. Kimberly