Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

starting BMI over 50? come on in!

... Also, how did you go about finding a personal trainer cos' I am looking to have someone come to me (I HATE gyms) at my home but don't know where to start looking...any tips would be appreciated. Much love, KKG

Hi Kelly,

I found mine through my chiropractor. I was terrified of going to a "gym" in the beginninng, so I needed a different solution. I asked around and have a good relationship with my chiro. He recommended someone to me. I met him and have been training with him since September. I do go to where he trains, but it is an indoor soccor field and rarely is there anyone besides me there and now, I just don't care if anyone is there. I did initially begin with the internet by looking up trainers and my geography. That would be a place to start. Also, here there are many smaller training gyms that specialize in one-on-one training. Check for some in your area and call them and see if they make home visits. Just be aware that for them to come to you is more expensive.

Best wishes,

Mary

Greetings from Hot, Hot Texas! I was banded on 5/20 in Houston. It's nice to meet some other folks in the boat. I am looking forward to learning from all of you.

I love you guys!:thumbup:

Sooooooooooo damn inspiring.:lol:

Greetings from Hot, Hot Texas! I was banded on 5/20 in Houston. It's nice to meet some other folks in the boat. I am looking forward to learning from all of you.

Could you send some of that heat up to the Pacific NW??

We lived in OK for 15+ years and

I am missing that heat right now!!

June and we can't seem to get the thermometer past the 60 mark!!

And SUNSHINE???

Forget about it!

28_2_8v.gif

You're welcome to it! And take some humidity while you're at it. We're at 94 degrees this afternoon. I just can't bring myself to look at the electricity bill anymore.

Congrats on your progress so far. I'm still in my newbie stage. Can't figure out why things that I used to like don't taste the same anymore. Just meats mostly...vegetables still taste almost the same. My husband thinks I'm crazy...(well, for many other reasons besides).

dont lose heart we will get there im in the same shoes as well im a very slow loser as well i was banded in december and has only lost 10kg which is way too less i wanted to lose at least 30kg by know but no i became ill with swollen hands and feet and fever and vomiting also have diabeties i go for second fill 2morrow so i amlooking forward to that i may even feel some restricton and star losing some weight

It's too hot here too. Stupid 90's. I am in WEST VIRGINIA, why so hot here. Usually it isn't this hot until August. POOOOO.

Could you send some of that heat up to the Pacific NW??

We lived in OK for 15+ years and

I am missing that heat right now!!

June and we can't seem to get the thermometer past the 60 mark!!

And SUNSHINE???

Forget about it!

28_2_8v.gif

I like the cooler weather maybe I need to move there...lol!

I can't stand the heat, when it gets hot here in the summer I just end up pretty much hibernating...haha!

Congrats tdsanders!!! You were banded on my 31st birthday!

How are you feeling? Did you have pains from any trapped gas or anything? Just a heads up if you haven't noticed yet (Ididn't notice until I started driving again) That the port area is typically the most painful part for most people. I noticed it more when I was getting in and out of the the drivers side of the car. And it lasted for almost 2 and half months. My surgeon said it was because of he sewed the port to the muscle under the skin to keep it from moving around (most surgeons do that now, to prevent the port from flipping over).

Take care!

dont lose heart we will get there im in the same shoes as well im a very slow loser as well i was banded in december and has only lost 10kg which is way too less i wanted to lose at least 30kg by know but no i became ill with swollen hands and feet and fever and vomiting also have diabeties i go for second fill 2morrow so i amlooking forward to that i may even feel some restricton and star losing some weight

Hang in there Sana, at least the scale goes down, no matter how slow it is. If you hang in there you will reach your goal in whatever time is best for you and your body!

Good luck with you fill tomorrow, I hope you get a good amount of restriction.

Thanks Ms. Apple! And happy belated birthday to you. Feeling great! Horrible gas pains early on. Couldn't sleep in my bed for over a week...had to sit up in the chair. I still have a little tenderness around the incisions and most definitely the port. But every day gets a little bit better. I'm really anxious to start some exercising (other than walking). Never thought I'd be saying that! My daughter is looking forward to working out together.

Love this thread!! I am 46 (yikes!!! :tongue2:) over 300 pounds and wondering how I got here...OK, OK, I know. Anyway, I am scheduled for surgery on June 26th. I am so excited, and, of course, a bit scared.

It is great to read all the sucess stories on here.

I have a question though... was anyone afraid of having a heart attack during surgery??? I do not have any heart issues (medically diagnosed, ay least) I wake up most nights, though with a heavy feeling in my chest. Not pain, it's kind of hard to explain, sort of like a slight pressure. I did see a cardiologist a few years ago after having a pulmonary embolism, and was pronounced heart healthy.

I keep telling myself if there is something wrong..it is only a matter of time, and I might as well be in the hospital. Maybe this is just preop jitters kicking in???

It's definitely pre-op jitters. I kept trying to talk myself out of it up until the anesthesia kicked in. I worried about anesthesia, though. But I decided that I do riskier things just by driving in my car every day. You'll be just fine.

I'm all nervous about my first fill today. Don't know what that's going to feel like. But I do know that I need one!

It's all about the journey. Take care and keep us posted.

You both will be ok. I was nervous about having surgery too. But I am so glad I did it.

Just listen to some happy music and relax. Let them give you something for anxiety. My Dr percribed me some Xanex for the little bit before surgery. I only took a few. But was so glad I had them for those times were my worries overcame me.

And the First fill is no big deal. dont look at the needle and let the Dr do the work it will be over in no time. and stay on you liquids for 2 days after.

You will be fine!

Hey, I am 50 and just had the Band placed on May 14th. I actually was glad to get it over with! I didn't really have much anxiety. Just was so hungry after two weeks of drinking Protein Shakes, that I was looking forward to getting the actual surgery out of the way. And the nursing staff and doctors couldn't have been nicer, if I'd hand picked them! I LOVE my baratric doctor! On the day that went for my surgery, I had a sprained joint in my left foot. And honestly, it hurts so bad that I was glad to get the anesthesia just to help w/the throbbing pain in my foot! LOL! I'm going for my first fill on the same day as your surgery! Will be so glad to have that done! Not too worried about the restriction..I have experienced some just by the band being placed, it is noticable, but I can still eat more than I know I should. Down by 27 lbs. though and I am so happy about that!

So, don't worry......they'll take excellent care of you at the hospital. You'll be in my prayers!

I had my first adjustment yesterday. OUCH! I thought I was gonna come off that table. They said the first adj is the worst, because I still had swelling from surgery.

Not happy with being back on Clear Liquids to full liquids to soft foods again. But I sure needed to be...and it showed in my weight loss. Last week I was eating way more than I should have. So going back to the beginning is good for me.

I got 1.88 cc's yesterday. Going back in two weeks for another adj. I can't really tell if I feel different. I guess when I'm actually eating food again I should be able to tell. I hope so.

Hi all

MY first posting was on the Florida Forum on May 8th but after looking around the site I see other Forum I am interested in being a part of if you will have me. My BMI is 57.3 so I should fit into this forum. I am over 50 years old too.

I have been researching the lapband surgery since the beginning of the year. I have been on disability since May 2006 and last month I finally got Medicare. MY PCP and my spine/hip Dr and I feel that the lapband is the best way for me to lose 200 pounds so I can have a total hip replacement. I am scheduled for my Dr consultation on July 22. That was the first available date he had opened.

Being so busy I truly hope he is a great Dr. He was listed on the Lapband literature as having performed at least 75 lapband surgeries last year. There were only 2 Dr who had performed that many surgeries on the list that lapband.com sent me. The other Dr was on my Medicare plan but the hospital was not a Center of Excellence. So I will have to travel 1 to 1-1/2 hours South of where I live to have this done. I don't really care about the trip if it will allow me to lose weight and get the hip replaced.

Sorry this intro was so long but I am all alone on this journey and hoping to find support in this forum.