Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big decision to make....Help!!

Man there are a number of ways to find a Dr to place your band. People here will tell you about their choices.

Being four years into this banded life I would say an experience Dr that is accesible is the best choice. Whether in Mx or US.

All surgeons had to do their first band once. If you decide against it, can I take your place?

I wonder if they would video tape it and let you see it afterward, then you would know how well it went.

Good luck - keep us posted.

If given the choice, would you have the procedure done with a surgeon who has never done one (but would have a proctor present) and it be free of charge or would you go to a surgeon who has performed thousands and be self pay??? ($8500 in mexico):help:

Banding is the easiest procedure in bariatrics to do. With that said, there is a learning curve. The sutures can't be too tight, they can't be too loose. The band can't be too high, it can't be too low. The sutures cannot be too many in number, nor too few.

Once the learning curve is over things are fine. But complication stats (erosion, slips, etc.) are indeed higher for newbie surgeons. Something as simple as scratching the back of the stomach can possibly cause erosion years down the road. That is the biggest reason I wouldn't personally go to a newbie surgeon. This was my last shot at weight loss and I wasn't going to screw it up. I gave myself every opportunity to do this the right way.

It's kinda like crocheting. The first project is probably pretty fugly, not even. But with practice it's just about perfect. Same concept applies to the band.

I can't say that I would go to anyone with less than 250 bands myself. If someone didn't have any money at all and having a newbie do it was the only shot they had it might be different. I wouldn't do it, but many would.

Another issue is aftercare. Fills are an art, not a skill. Anyone can measure out a cc or two. But to get good restriction without absolute misery is hard to do.

The problem with banding is that all the bad stuff usually happens after surgery or after the fills. It's not like a minor complication in OR that you fix right then and there. Our complications often times don't happen (from surgery) until down the road.

So you have to weigh money vs. skill. You have to do what is right for you.

would much rather do it in the states with a trama team on board.

Songgal.....

Do you mean trauma team? They are available if one goes to a hospital vs. a clinic just like in US hospitals vs. surgicenters.

Trauma teams are not typically available in surgicenters because ambulances don't typically bring traumas into a clinic setting. A trauma isn't usually someone with a complication in OR, traumas are more like someone with a leg hanging off from an auto accident. Surgeons take care of mess ups in OR.

I am actually having my surgery this way. My Dr. has done alot of Gastric Bypass surgeries, but no lap band. He is going to have a proctor in there who had performed 100's of lap band surgeries. I was a little nervous at first, but I know my surgeon has done alot of other surgeries, so he knows how to make incisions, and with the proctor there, the proctor will talk him through everything else. I actually feel lucky that there will be 2 Dr.'s in the OR.

I am actually having my surgery this way. My Dr. has done alot of Gastric Bypass surgeries, but no lap band. He is going to have a proctor in there who had performed 100's of lap band surgeries. I was a little nervous at first, but I know my surgeon has done alot of other surgeries, so he knows how to make incisions, and with the proctor there, the proctor will talk him through everything else. I actually feel lucky that there will be 2 Dr.'s in the OR.

A greater majority of the time there are two surgeons in there. There are typically five incisions. There is a stand that holds one of them (fills your belly with gas) and it takes two surgeons to hold the other 3-4 trocars in your incisions.

Just a bit of... trivia? :welldoneclap: Is that the right word?

I was not my Dr.s first, however I was the first band at the hospital. Although he had not done a band in almost a year, ( move, opening new practice) I was not too nervous. A little I will admitt!

I actually had my surgery done at a University Hospital. So there was a whole group of Learning Surgeons watching. Some assisted the surgeon, BUT...the Surgeon was doing the actual surgery.

I think I am to big of a chicken to let someone practice on me? I would probably lay an egg! :smile:

But that is me and my comfort level--others would be fine with the surgery so long as the other surgeon is there instructing.

You should do what you feel comfortable with--what is right for you.

I would go for it for sure. I can understand you being nervous about it being his first time, however keep in mind that Allergan is very much on top of how and who does the surgery. I am sure that they will have a very experienced surgeon in with him.

This is great news for you. To be able to have the band in the US, have followup care with your surgeon right here in the US.

Anyone can do a fill and unfill. Most likely your first will be under fluro. Ask your Dr about all of your concerns. Do not be afraid that you will offend him. This is your body, your band, your life.

My poor surgeon went through a 3 page list of questions with me. One by one. He wasn't offened took his time with me and made me feel very confident in my decision.

I would only have the French Mid band placed if I had a choice. It is much "better" ,5x's less complications than the FDA approved ones.

Yes free is great but this is life long implant, less than a good used car.

Do the doctors in your sig link even place US - FDA approved bands?

I'm interested in your stats about complications. Have any links?