Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow post-op weight loss

I've been reading a lot of posting where some of you have lost close to 20 pounds in the first 2 weeks after surgery. I'm 3 weeks post-op and have only lost about 8 - 10 pounds and I'm strictly following the full liquid diet. Anyone else experiencing this?

you are doing everything right it just depends also on metabolism and how active you are everyone loses weight differently some fast some slow and steady. your on the right track !

The first 6 weeks after surgery is not about weight loss it is about recovery !

Any weight loss during that time is just a bonus .

My best advice , Concentrate on healing, Follow your post op diet , and from this point on don't compare your weight loss to anyone elses. There are SO Many factors that affect everyones weight loss you just can NOT compare , even some one who was banded on the same day as you . Your setting yourself up for disappointment !

Your doing great, the 10 pds you have lost is a great BONUS , a great head start. Keep up the great work !

HTH

mindy

Track your calories for a few days up to a full week, just to see what you're taking in. Some "full" liquids have lots of calories and carbs, so I suggest you track your Protein intake as well. Keep your Protein high, your carbs low and drink Water.

I'm a slow loser, too, so I understand how frustrating it is, but as long as the scale is going down, we're headed in the right direction!

FOR ME, if my calories go over 1100 -1200 calories daily weight loss is less than one pound a week.

Once you track your calories, you have a better feel for how many calories daily helps you lose and you'll be searching for the best food choices to stay satisfied but within your daily allowance.

I lost 26 pounds the first 6 weeks. I'm now at 8 weeks and haven't lost another ounce. I've cut back on calories and WAY upped my exercise regimin, and NOTHING. I'm disgusted, but I have an appointment tomorrow. I will probably get my first fill, but I can't imagine eating less than I am. I did a calorie count the last two days and I'm at about 700-800 calories. How is that possible?

I lost 26 pounds the first 6 weeks. I'm now at 8 weeks and haven't lost another ounce. I've cut back on calories and WAY upped my exercise regimin, and NOTHING. I'm disgusted, but I have an appointment tomorrow. I will probably get my first fill, but I can't imagine eating less than I am. I did a calorie count the last two days and I'm at about 700-800 calories. How is that possible?

if you have increased your work out and DECREASED your calories that is a problem , when you increase your work out you need to INCREASE calorie intake. My trainer told me while working out you need a minium of 1200 calories a day . Your not eating enough .

does that make sense ? I have hard time explaining things some times LOL

Mindy

I have to keep telling myself, the band is not magic! I had lost 15 lbs prior to going to surgery (12/1) and I've lost 15 after but since Christmas its hovered around that 30 and it hasn't gone down for three weeks.

I'm hoping my first fill will help, I know I can eat a little more now but I'm trying to eat well. The weather has been cold and rainy and my local Curves shut down at the end of Dec so I've been trying to find some other exercise but it isn't consistent.

It's about breaking those old habits and not expecting the band to just fix everything!

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback and encouragement. I think I'm going to put my scale away for a while and just concentrate on making a successful transition from full liquids to mushies and being consistent with my exercise. Since I have one more week before I return to work, I'm going to check out the Y next week and try walking in the pool. I also signed up for swim classes in Feb.

Thanks again - you are all wonderful!!!

Allheart,

I lost 15lbs during my liquid phase but gained 3 lbs when I trasitioned to real food.

My doctor said that ws normal, and not to worry just concentrate on healing.

I am walking now and it seems to help. I think I have lost the 3lbs but nothing more. So good luck you are not alone.

Ann D,

You're still doing better than I am. At six weeks post op, I have lost 18 pounds. Next fill Tues, hope it works!