Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

over sixty seven

Hi Lee, I haven't been on the forum here for quite awhile. How did your surgery go and how are you doing now? I have lost 26 pounds so far. I have had two fills, and go in for my third one next Tuesday. I still have no sensation of even having the band. I feel no different at all and can eat without any restriction at all. I sure hope this next fill does something. Let us know how you are doing. Rose

Hi Sharon, I haven't been on lately. I didn't mean not to get back with you. I hope you are doing good. I gave up on the cpap machine. I never could go to sleep. I have lost 26 pounds. I am scheduled to get my third fill next Tuesday. I still hve no restriction what so ever. I could eat like a horse. I hope things change soon. Rose

Karen, This is bugging me....what is the S you said you are doing? I looked back a ways and still can't figure it out . Not that it matters, but it's bugging me that I can't figure it out.

:)

The "S" is the breathig apparatus that they gave me at the hospital. Sorry I can never remember the correct name. I no longer use it but it did help in the beginning.

Hi Lee, I haven't been on the forum here for quite awhile. How did your surgery go and how are you doing now? I have lost 26 pounds so far. I have had two fills, and go in for my third one next Tuesday. I still have no sensation of even having the band. I feel no different at all and can eat without any restriction at all. I sure hope this next fill does something. Let us know how you are doing. Rose

Hi Rose, Good to hear from you and congratulations on your weight loss. That's terrific! Well... as of yesterday I can officially join this "over 67" thread. My surgery was on 1-21-08 and my lapband journey has been going well although frustrating at times. I've lost only 20 lbs even though I've been exercising and eating 1000-1200 good calories a day (except for 4-5 days in which I went up to 1600cal.) But, that's okay because I don't yet have good restriction. Some times I'm dying of hunger but thus far have been able resist any "bad" foods. But, I am getting tired of having to use so much will power. After my second fill three weeks ago, I had perfect restriction for about 5 days (it was so cool!) and then it went away. Had fill #3 today so we'll see if this fill does the job.

Keep up the good work, Rose.

Hi I am 67 and I have the same ptoblems as you except the knee I was 6 lbs from goal and had a bout

with gout and the swelling took me up 10 lbs now i am back to the six lbs and trying to make goalI am 220 now have to get to 214 .I go through Kaiser In CA.This has been a long journey for me I just want to get it over with so I can get healthy and have a life .I thought I wa s to old to. good luck

jazzey

Hi All Its wonderful to know all you older but better gals are out there This a first for me I am 65 And this is the first time I have heard of older but better gals besides myself having the lap band done. Its a good feeling. I have so many questions that apply to our age. I am just getting started having been to my first doctors appt. And now startng the pre surgery diet. Im finding the hardest part to be not drinking with a meal. Do you gals have any suggestions?

hello every one I am still trying to get the last six lbs. off to have the sergery .I want so much to get it done I keep going up two lbs down 2 lbs and It is driving me crazy .My doctor has me on lisix and esidrix.I know Its not food that is causing this cause I keep my colon clean.any one have any suggestions?Please email me any one

I"ve been trying so long

Jazzey

Hi,

I'm 67 pre-op in San Diego. I'm planning on having the lap band done in September. I started on the SouthBeach diet per doctor instructions on May 15th. I've lost 16 pounds so far, and am hoping to get down another 15 or 20 before the surgery.

I've found that eating slowly is a great help to me. I've always been a speed eater.

It's so reassuring to find all of you in my age group who have had this done. I've been very worried about doing it. I've never had surgery, and have been afraid this would set me up for more problems than it would solve.

Mary

Hi, I also am 67 and I am trying to make up my mind about the Lap Band. I've already had angioplasty with stent, diabetes, arthritis and my husband says I snore something awful so probably have sleep apnea. I've had my left knee replaced but it has never been right so I must do someting and soon. I have Medicare and Tri Care For Life and I think what discourages me more than anything is what to do if the Insurance turns me down. My PCP and Endocrinologist tells me to go for it so I should just go ahead and give it a try. Let me know how you are doing. Young AT Heart

Hi, I also am 67 and I am trying to make up my mind about the Lap Band. I've already had angioplasty with stent, diabetes, arthritis and my husband says I snore something awful so probably have sleep apnea. I've had my left knee replaced but it has never been right so I must do someting and soon. I have Medicare and Tri Care For Life and I think what discourages me more than anything is what to do if the Insurance turns me down. My PCP and Endocrinologist tells me to go for it so I should just go ahead and give it a try. Let me know how you are doing. Young AT Heart

PLEASE go for it,I did at 65 and am so happy I did. I also had a pacemaker, 4 stents, overweight for 20+ years, sleep apnea and bad knees. I had no quality of life and was going down hill. I had the surgery and it was such a positive impact on my life. I just told the doctor the other day when he mentioned that I was over 30 and must expect some problems and I looked him straight in the eye and said "your crazy I am getting younger daily not older andI won't accept that as an excuse "

He laughed and said you are right and left the room chuckling!

I am growing younger and intend to continue doing it!

Young at Heart - you should followup on this option and get your questions answered. For Medicare coverage you have to go to a Center of Excellence for your surgery. Check the website at www.cms.hhs.gov/MedicareApprovedFacilitie/BSF/list.asp

where you can put in your location and pull up a listing of the COE's in your state and neighboring states. I live on the western edge of Missouri, and find the COE's in eastern Kansas are the closest for me. From info I have read on this site (and everyone's experience is different, of course) I think coverage is pretty straightforward - if you have BMI of 40 or over - or - BMI of 35 with comorbidities like diabetes, heart problems, arthritis - you should have coverage. Of course, each doctor/facility has their own requirements, so the only way to know is to start calling and talking to them.

I am 3 months into the process - started with one COE, but was recently told they have a backlog of MC patients and I could be put off until next spring. I have begun the process with another COE and it is looking better with them. They are projecting surgery this fall. The process requires that you be your own advocate as we always should be with our health. My approach is to be both nice AND persistent! I also do any of the legwork that will help me out.

Check out other threads on this site. For the most part, the posts are so positive and so many lives have been changed by this surgery. We also have to be aware of any negative issues, of course, because any surgery has its risks. For me, the prospect of crippling arthritis, which has already taken a toll on my life, is just too devastating to accept without a fight. No matter what diet program I have tried I lose and gain the same 2-3 pounds over and over. I have given up, fought, given up - and now I am fighting again. I have an active husband who is the greatest of husbands, and young grandchildren I want to play with.

I wish you good luck as you start your journey...

Joann

Hi everyone. I am considering the band and was wondering if anyone on here had Medicare B for their primary insurance. I have it and also my secondary is Tricare For Life. The question I have is does Medicare B rrequire the six month diet before surgery? Appreciate any information anyone may have. You are all doing so great and can be so proud of yourselves.....Young At Heart

I had my surgery in February at a COE, and medicare paid for everything. NO 6 month diet was requred. However, make sure you surgeon accepts medicare assignment. They only pay a very small amount.

Hi everyone. I am considering the band and was wondering if anyone on here had Medicare B for their primary insurance. I have it and also my secondary is Tricare For Life. The question I have is does Medicare B rrequire the six month diet before surgery? Appreciate any information anyone may have. You are all doing so great and can be so proud of yourselves.....Young At Heart

Hi Young,

I am mid-process and have not had to do a 6 month medically supervised diet. However, I do have history of a 5 month liquid diet 2 years ago that was medically supervised. I think one of their guidelines includes documentation that you have tried dieting with no long-term success.

Have you been to a seminar yet? In this area prospective patients are required by the bariatric practices to attend a seminar to get basic information about WLS. You would have a chance to ask your questions there, and get the real scoop. Just be sure you are going to a Center of Excellence, or Medicare will not cover it. In my note above I included a web address for the Medicare site that lists the Centers of Excellence in each state. Also check to make sure your surgeon accepts Medicare assignment as Sharon160 said.