Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

over sixty seven

Hi Rose, I was so happy to find this forum and find that there are some "older gals" like me! I am 69. I have just finished my tests but haven't had the consult yet. I was so afraid that the surgeon would say that I am too old. Good luck with your surgery, I'll be rooting for you! Joyce

Hang in there while the test and consult is a "pain in the a--" in the end it will be worth it. keep in touch and this has become my favorite thread since I can elate to you all!

Hi to all, I am 60 years old and as all of you I want to have a better quality of life. My name is Karen. I live in Manteca. CA. I have been rejected by one insurance company. (Health Net)

I now have Blue Shield a PPO and want to know if anyone else has this insurance and has had any problems with getting approval for lap band surgery. I have to go through the process of qualifying all over again due to the change in my insurance. I hope all goes well. My insurance will change again in May due to my husbands employement. Any suggestions in helping me qualify would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I'm 65 and just got scheduled today for surgery on Feb 05. Actually, meet with the surgeon on the 4th for surgery on the 5th. Kinda scarry that it is happening so fast, after 2 months of working for it. Medicare will pay so I don't have that worry, thankfully. My biggest concern is my arthritis, and not being able to take my NSAID for it. How have you others been doing without medication?

Karen - Thanks for the encouragement. I'll let you know how it goes.

Wow, 13 days! You must be excited! Joyce

:( Well my surgery is this coming Friday, Jan25th at 12 noon, being older I'll be 60 in Feb, is that going to make a difference in my recovery, I have planned to go back to work on the following Wed if possible. I am a nurse and I work as a triage nurse, sitting at the phones, so at least I won't be up on my feet for 8hours a day.I am so thankful to have found this group, Most all the sights I have been on are young people just starting their lifes, I have been around awhile and would like to remain a few more years, have been heavy all my life and tried every diet known to man, and some I made up, I have a very good imagination!!!!!! Once again, I feel so Blessed to have found you all!!! thank you. Becky

:( Oh! I forgot to tell you all the very most important thing that I started the thread for, I am so nervous, worried, scared, and excited, all at the same time, and on OCC. I ask myself if I have made the right decision, I have had both knees replaced 2 times in the last 2 years, My husband says, If I can go through that, I can do anything, but I don't know,I have been praying daily the Lord our Father will take a few minutes and accompany me that day.....

Welcome to all of you. I just love this group. You have all done so well. My daughter joined weight watchers yesterday and we went healthy food shopping so I'm hoping there won't be so many naughty temptations around here anymore. (I live with my daughter, son-in-law and 2 little boys and 2 dogs and 2 cats and I love it.) So far I have no restriction so it has been an uphill battle. It's encouraging to see how well everyone here is doing. I'm sure my time will come.

To All Karen, Sharon, Sharon160, and Becky

We really need each other as well as our support at home. It is a journey we have started and will do together which of course is easier then alone. I am nervous with 12 days and counting, I see doctor on Monday 1/21 for first time all other visits were for classes and evaluations. I have started to eat as told, on the 30 20 30 minute plan and eating my Protein first. I have managed to get 48 ounces of Water in the last couple of days and am trying to get in some walking in, knees and feet really hurt but do as much as I can. The breathing excercises are the roughest for me since I have a terrible time with breathing.

Keep up all the good work and stick together!

Karen :)

I've found an over 60 group and that is exciting. I'm 65 and had the surgery at 64. I'm not 1 1/2 years out from the surgery which I think saved my life. I was unable to walk because of bad knees that they said needed replaced; heart surgery; hypothyroidism; sleep apnea, and many other problems. The surgery has changed my life. I have lost 115 lbs. and feel wonderful. I'm 5'8" tall and weight 160 lbs. for the first time in years and years. When I had the surgery I was 275 lb. and unable to get around. I now have no more sleep apnea; my knees are like new; and although I still take Synthroid it is a much lower dose. Life is good and I'm so happy to have met older bandsters. I would do this again in a heartbeat.

If you are considering the lapband, it is the best thing that ever happened to me. I've had zero complications..no gas after surgery, nothing. My fills have gone perfectly, although I'm at 4 cc in a 4 cc band (which holds 6 cc). The restriction is perfect. I don't PB or anything and I'm full very fast. Life is good.

I wish you all the best.

Skittles:biggrin:

Hi Skittles, Thank you for your post!!! Your story about your 1-1/2 year lap band journey is both inspirational and reassuring. Especially since my lap band procedure is to be done in two days, Monday, the 21st. It's so reassuring to know that there are people who, after 1-1/2 years, continue to have a very positive experience with their lap band. And, may you report back here in five years, telling us that you continue to be so happy with your lap band.

lee41

To All who have responded to my correspondence. I am happy to have all of you to speak to and get your views and updates on your surgeries. I have my seminar on Feb. 6, and then I should hear from the doctor a week after that. I know I will be getting back to you. Best of luck to all of you and thank you so much for your support. Now, everthing is just a wait and see.

Spclk60

Lee41 Best of luck on Monday we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how it goes for you.

Karen :)

Good luck with your upcoming surgeries. The surgerie is the easiest part of the whole journey.

It's interesting to see how many of us have knee replacements. I had both replaced 2 years ago and still have pain. My ortho says it's Calcium build up on the tendons. I honestly think I just weigh too much and if I lose it will get better. I hope I'm right. I also had a rod and scwers put in my lower back last May. That is better than before surgery but I'm sure it will improve even more after I lose. One of you mentioned how hard it would be without NSAIDS. Yes it is hard. Sometimes I have to take a narcotic but I can't really do that unless I'm going to bed. Tylenol just doesn't do the job.

Karen - Thanks for the encouragement. I'll let you know how it goes.

Wow, 13 days! You must be excited! Joyce

I am very excited as well as very nervous

I am over 67 years of age. I was wondering if a lot of people my age hae had the surgery, and if they wondered about their age before having it. I have been obese all my life nearly, being born weighing one ounce under 12 pounds. Ihavedoneallthe programs out there almost, getting my lowest weightever down to 179 pounds. I weigh neasrly 250, and I would like to get rid of this weight. I haven't had heart or diabetis trouble and I am thankful for that. I don't want them and that is only one of my reasons for surgery. I would just like to hear from someone my age. I am scheduled for the surgery on the 16th. of this month. Thanks Rose

Rose how are you doing, let us hear from you. Our thoughts are with you. Even if it is tough we are there for you, and if it is not tough we want to hear from you!

Hip Hip Hurrah, you are on your way