Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Painful burping & hiccups - does that go away?

OR...am I stuck feeling this pain every time I burp and hiccup for the rest of my life? I realize I'm only 4 days out from when I was banded. However, I'm worried that this pain is permanent. Yikes...

Each time I feel a belch coming on (lots of those post-op as many of you know), the pressure in my chest builds up really fast, the pressure is excruciating for about 3 seconds until I release the air, and then it's normal again. Same thing with hiccups. Lots of chest pressure (ends up being painful) until I feel like I'm gonna burst, then it's gone when the hiccups subside.

So is this simply related to the soreness I have from the surgery in general, or is it permanent pain that will come every time I belch or hiccup for the rest of eternity? I have a 5-month old baby & 10 y.o daughter so I haven't taken pain meds since day #2 post-op...that way I can drive when needed without being all doped up with kids in tow.

Totally goes away! I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op and I had terrible hiccups the first 10 days. Plus the burps, my goodness where did they come from? That noise was something I'd never heard of and the length of the burp was down right impressive.

But yes, it gets much better real soon. I still have odd burps, but that gets better ever day too. I think when the are doing the surgery they move the diaphragm enough to "anger" it! :rofl: Thus the hiccups.

Actually I'm not as much worried about the act of burping & hiccupping, or even how much...that doesn't bother me. It's the pain that I'm referring too. I've never had pain when I burped or hiccupped and now I do. It's not a good feeling. I'm wondering if *that* goes away?

It will go away. About day 5 I felt human again. I still have gas issues, but I think it's more associated with my cpap machine. One thing, I kept hearing the stories of how great everyone felt just a day or two later. I didn't. Like I said, day 5 I fet much better, but not great. After about two weeks, I felt normal again. I do have a 16 month old, so I started picking him up sooner than I should have, and my port takes a beating, but recovery was not a piece of cake....sorry, no cake:)

Mamajava you are just post-op so that soreness is to be expected. Yes..it does go away.

I can suggest going easy on the liquids and make sure...make sure..make sure...that they are room temp. Cold temps can cause your system to contract (ouch) and drink sloooooow.

Yep, the pain part of it goes away too.

Suzanne, I have a 20 month old son, so I went to lifting sooner than I was supposed to also. But lucky I didn't have any port pain....well except when he would accidently kick or head butt me there! :nervous

Thanks! Also, I do have a 5-month old baby boy so I'm also bending and lifting more than I should. I'm being really careful, though. :eek:

I wouldn't say the burps & hiccups go away, I have them just as bad as day 1 hehehe. I think that opening plays around a lot when you take in air.

But, the pain definitely goes away. It's sore and adjusting to having the band, so the pain will lessen, and you may be like me and find yourself ripping burps in public without even thinking about it..

I'm a big belcher now, so it wouldn't be much different for me.

I'm more worried about the gas pains. I know some get those. About once every few months I have serious gas attacks that are so painful that I cry and have to soak in a hot tub.. I don't know what it's from, but I worry that it might get worse with this surgery.

Dang, don't hiccups suck???

I have suffered from severe gas pain for most of my life. I mean, to the point of looking like I'm 9mo pregnant (before I was fat :eek: ) No OTC meds worked, I finally had a lower GI done by an Internist and he said there is no clear issue, but probably just IBS.

Now, 3 1/2 weeks post op and I have not had one problem with gas. Not on! :clap2: And oddly enough I'm eating as much right now as I did pre-op. I know this will change once I get my first fill. But so far, no issues with gas in my tummy at all. I did have the gas from the surgery but that's a different feeling entirely.