Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The I Hate Exercise But Going to Learn to Love it Thread

I'm not going to lie, I hate to sweat. I'm so large that moving for a long period of time tends to wear me out BUT TODAY I begin exercising. I'm starting small, 10 minutes my first day, and working my way up to one hour or more of healthy movement.

So how do you move?

Today I took my 85 pound pitbull for a walk. What did you do?

Anyone else need to break the I-hate-to-exercise habit? What are you doing to change? Share your thoughts here.

I am driven by the fact that exercise is essential to weightloss.

PattyExercise.gif

today my husband and i went for a walk... i love feeling like hes supporting me... that skinny thing lol... anyway...its made us closer.... I HATE TO EXCERCISE... I WANT TO EAT A DOZEN HOT DONUTS AND WAKE UP SKINNY.... LOL! but alas it wont work.. gl to you!!

I'm not going to lie, I hate to sweat. I'm so large that moving for a long period of time tends to wear me out BUT TODAY I begin exercising. I'm starting small, 10 minutes my first day, and working my way up to one hour or more of healthy movement. So how do you move? Today I took my 85 pound pitbull for a walk. What did you do? Anyone else need to break the I-hate-to-exercise habit? What are you doing to change? Share your thoughts here.

I am driven by the fact that exercise is essential to weightloss.

Patty

Patty

I too dislike exercise. There was no such thing in grade school as P.E. so I just wasnt trained that way Prior to being banded I was a total slug bug..

I hate being hot !! When I dance, clean house - move period - my head sweats like a pig...

But I know that exercise is the key to losing weight - once along time ago - i took some dance classes for fun - tap - ballet & jazz - I lost 20 lbs without ever changing any eating habits.

Right before I got banded a gym opened up across the street from my house - so I joined - I bought an Ipod - loaded it and went. At first I could barely do a 20 minute mile and I was dead after that mile - but just kept going back - I am now doing 16 or 17 minute mile and for some songs push it to 4.0 (15 minute mile) - I am up to 3 miles most days - some days just 2 miles and everyonce in a while 4 miles (usually on Saturdays) I exercise 4-5 days a week

I contribute the exercise to my weight lost - you see I do want to eat and have a treat every now & then - In order to do that I MUST exercise - do I love it - NO - but I am learning to like it and I like what I am seeing in the mirror - Me in a size 12 pair of pants...

Oh I hate it too. I sweat, my heart pounds and I get short of breath and think I'm having a heart attach and whatever part of the body I move hurts the next day. Water exercise is do-able but too far away.

today my husband and i went for a walk... i love feeling like hes supporting me... that skinny thing lol... anyway...its made us closer.... I HATE TO EXCERCISE... I WANT TO EAT A DOZEN HOT DONUTS AND WAKE UP SKINNY.... LOL! but alas it wont work.. gl to you!!

I use to LOVE hot donuts and cold milk. (but I'll pass on the pain the thought of that conjers up ) Wouldn't it be GREAT to wake up thin? (smiles big) I can't wait until I wake up and I'm actually thin again. I'm starting to have skinny dreams.

Indiogirl55:

Right before I got banded a gym opened up across the street from my house - so I joined - I bought an Ipod - loaded it and went. At first I could barely do a 20 minute mile and I was dead after that mile - but just kept going back - I am now doing 16 or 17 minute mile and for some songs push it to 4.0 (15 minute mile) - I am up to 3 miles most days - some days just 2 miles and everyonce in a while 4 miles (usually on Saturdays) I exercise 4-5 days a week

Indiogirl55, I too have a sweaty head when I start picking up the pace. The IPOD new and loaded would be a motivation. I love music. Congrats on the achievement! Wouldn't it be great if most all of us had gyms near our homes? For now I'll have to work with what I have and that is pavement. Thanks for sharing

Oh I hate it too. I sweat, my heart pounds and I get short of breath and think I'm having a heart attach and whatever part of the body I move hurts the next day. Water exercise is do-able but too far away.

Oh for a pool nearby!!! Water walking is my favorite form of exercise but the closest one is a half hour south and $45 a month. No friends have a pool either.

I started loving it more when I found out I could push myself harder and harder each time.

I hate exercise too! I have been trying to get healthier before I get banded just to help jumpstart the metabolism, and the one I found I really like is the IN HOME WALKING. I really enjoy it, and its not that long and you really feel like you've exercised, and done something.

I hate most all forms of exercise. Gyms are intimidating, treadmills and ellipticals boring. Too cold outside to walk.

But I LOVE JAZZERCISE! The environment is very comfortable, no big buff bodybuilders to intimidate you. And, you can custom-fit the routines to your fitness level. The music is always current and motivating as well as the instructors. And it never gets boring because they usually get new routines every couple of months.

If you're interested and don't know if there are any classes in your area, check out Jazzercise. It's seriously the only thing I've ever been able to stick with.

Oh...and my head sweats more than you could ever imagine! Yeah I sweat all over, but it just POURS out of my head! I look like a wet dog after Jazzercise class.

I HATE exercising!!! I work in a building where there is a gym right over my head. All I have to do is walk upstairs. I get so lazy or find other things to do then go up there. it's free and has just about everything except a pool.

I do go up on occassion and will walk for about 20-30 minutes but then I am done. I really have to get moving and get off my butt.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

You have to PUSH. If you don't push every time, you'll never advance. Movement is good in the beginning, but don't stay there.

Don't worry about the others in the gym, they're mostly focused on their work and won't care about what you're doing. There will be a few who stare, but aren't we all used to that on the street anyway?

If you can afford it, find a professional personal trainer. That has made such a difference for me. There's no way that I would have known what to do in a gym on my own. I budgeted for 3 months, and had him explain why I was doing exercise X, and after those three months I could have started working out on my own. As it is, I enjoyed it so much I rearranged my finances to keep on using the guy.

Also -- even if you're lifting weights, don't expect huge dramatic changes in composition quickly. The body is subtle. Take lots of pictures so that you can keep track of your progress.

Good luck

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

You have to PUSH. If you don't push every time, you'll never advance. Movement is good in the beginning, but don't stay there.

Don't worry about the others in the gym, they're mostly focused on their work and won't care about what you're doing. There will be a few who stare, but aren't we all used to that on the street anyway?

If you can afford it, find a professional personal trainer. That has made such a difference for me. There's no way that I would have known what to do in a gym on my own. I budgeted for 3 months, and had him explain why I was doing exercise X, and after those three months I could have started working out on my own. As it is, I enjoyed it so much I rearranged my finances to keep on using the guy.

Also -- even if you're lifting weights, don't expect huge dramatic changes in composition quickly. The body is subtle. Take lots of pictures so that you can keep track of your progress.

Good luck

With a name like "manatee" you must be a Floridian! (smiling) I LOVE your first sentence:

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

Thanks for sharing that.

Shannon that you for the link to jazzercise. That looks like something more for me (down the road).

FLW- I did situps in my bed last night. I made myself move watching television, breathing deep, focusing on the muscle tightening going on in my stomach and keeping an eye on the clock.

So far I am keeping up with my comittment to exercise!