Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

You can get a pill crusher too. I take a lot of pills too and sometimes it is a problem. I do manage to get them all down. I take them with warm Water. Warm opens the band.

Good luck to all the new bandsters. Sometimes I can't believe it's me when I look in the mirror so I know how you feel!

Regarding taking meds, although I have been taken off some of my meds, the ones that I still take are all pill form. I crush them into powder and mix them with my morning yogurt (or SF Jello) they go down easily, and I can keep my meds current. I use a pair of flat smooth edge pliers to crush the pills, works great. Good luck.

Hi Pati,

Welcome to this group. Phyl and I are no longer in our 50's (maybe some others, too), but since technically we are over 50, these folks let us hang around. You will find some great support here, and it's here when you need it. I've not attended any local support group meetings, but I've heard they are sometimes so heavily attended it's hard to make connections or ask your own questions. Around here you can ask away and someone will be answering you within a short time. I've been working toward this surgery since April, and have really gotten an education. Almost like having the band - but talk about NO RESTRICTION!

Good luck on your journey.

Lori, I really don't think my surgeon is that booked. (There are 5 surgeons in the group.) I think they do surgeries at their clinic/surgical center location, but for Medicare patients they must go to the Center of Excellence hospital. I have been told the hospital will only allow them 3 medicare surgeries a week. That sounds plausible to me, since both the hospital and the surgeons receive less money from Medicare than they do from self pays and other insurances. They have to protect the bottom line... However, if there are very many Medicare patients, that just makes the line longer for us.

My friend was a self pay at another location back in late March. I think she had about a 3 week wait from putting her papers in to surgery! Sounds great to me! But -- I have had the opportunity to learn a lot over the last few months, and certainly enough information to have confidence in my decision. (sometimes I tend to question my decisions...) BTW - I saw my friend last Sunday and she has lost about 30 pounds since surgery at the end of March. She feels like that is slow, but her job has her traveling ALL the time and it's a very stressful job. I think eating on the road and under so much stress is hard for her and probably has slowed down her losses. But she is very happy with the loss she has had, feels much better, looks great, and is very glad she took this step.

He said no way was I that size and then he started pointing out ones that I was closer in size to. I had no idea. I had heard how our heads are behind in catching up with our weight loss and we still see ourselves fatter than we are, but this was amazing to me.

Oh, I hear ya! A funny thing happened to me, too. I always order my clothes through a catalog or online because I can't stand trying to try things on in a dressing room. So I've been ordering from the same catalog for years and years and was in 2x in most things (some 1x). Well, I started a new job and the dress "code" is jeans--I haven't had jeans for many years but the last pair I had was a 2x. So my catalog company had a $20 off "Shape Me" jeans and I decided to order a pair. I was HOPING I could get in a Women's 18 but was doubtful so I ordered it anyway (I have a very big stomach). The jeans came and THEY WERE WAY TOO BIG! So I called the company and had them send a size 16--figuring I'd have to "grow" into them. Guess what? They were also TOO BIG! So I finally got the courage to order a 14 and they fit perfectly. Who knew???? Not ME, that's for sure! So exciting! I just can't believe I wear a size 14 jean. Amazing. Simply amazing.

I just found this site today, and I am so HAPPY. I have learned so much in just my first afternoon. Now to find that you have a 50+ forum too, it's just an added bonus. I just had my band done 2 weeks ago, and couldn't find a support group locally yet. Thank you so much for being her for me.

Welcome!! There's also a thread called "New 60+" that you might want to check out.

Hey, we're neighbors for a few days! We're in our RV staying with friends in Three Rivers on our way to Desert Hot Springs for the winter!! Boy, is it hot here!! Didn't expect it to be this hot! But, that's why we left WA!! To get away from the rain and chilly temps!

16_6_1v.gif

I was banded 14 months ago. Down almost 90 lb.! Down one cholesterol pill and both BP Rx half the strength they were then!

That is such a good feeling when you fit into a smaller size jeans than you ever expected. I remember when I bought my first pair of size 12 and I hadn't worn that size in 25 year since my kids were born.

Oh, I hear ya! A funny thing happened to me, too. I always order my clothes through a catalog or online because I can't stand trying to try things on in a dressing room. So I've been ordering from the same catalog for years and years and was in 2x in most things (some 1x). Well, I started a new job and the dress "code" is jeans--I haven't had jeans for many years but the last pair I had was a 2x. So my catalog company had a $20 off "Shape Me" jeans and I decided to order a pair. I was HOPING I could get in a Women's 18 but was doubtful so I ordered it anyway (I have a very big stomach). The jeans came and THEY WERE WAY TOO BIG! So I called the company and had them send a size 16--figuring I'd have to "grow" into them. Guess what? They were also TOO BIG! So I finally got the courage to order a 14 and they fit perfectly. Who knew???? Not ME, that's for sure! So exciting! I just can't believe I wear a size 14 jean. Amazing. Simply amazing.

MamaLambert, did you have your surgery at Alta View? I used to live right by there. I also used to have a craft business when living in UT and we sold handcarved Santas at Swiss Days in Midway every year. I loved Midway so beautiful there!

Congrats on the 14's!! I can't wait til I need those!! I do have a pair of 14W from Lane Bryant that I just tried on to see and they are getting closer to fitting.

Well I walked off 3 lbs in Las Vegas!! I joked with DH that was a pound a mile I walked off as he thinks we walked about 3 miles on Monday night alone. I am down 69 now!! AND I AM MORE THAN HALF WAY TO MY GOAL!!! And closer to 'overweight' in my BMI than I am 'morbidly obese'. YAHOO!! I have a personal goal of hitting 75 by Halloween, 6 lbs to lose this month. I can do it! Though I have figured out my body loses in big chunklets for a week or so and then it rests for a few weeks and every time I get frustrated as I am not losing then WHAM a big one again. So when I start complaining about my 'plateau' in a few weeks remind me okay??? :):):)

Oh and another story. When we left for Las Vegas on Monday morning I guess all the agents at the airport noticed me (DH is a station manager for an airline so they all know who I am). He called me today and said I put him in a predictament. I asked how? he said he has had women coming up to him all day commenting on my fantastic weight loss and what was I doing? He didn't know if it was okay for him to tell them about the surgery and asked if he could. He said 3 in particular as they struggled so much themselves. So word will be all over the airport soon. I said I didn't care who knew anymore. If it helps others, all the better!

Hi Katydid!

Thanks so much for your post! I am looking forward to moving forward on this journey..I kinda feel like I am still such a newbie that I don't what questions to ask. I was glad to see a forum for people our age...

My primary care Dr. has a friend who had the procedure last February and has done really well. I also have a friend a work that was banded in April...she and I have been weight-loss buds for many years...but she didn't tell me about her band...when I inquired what program she was currently following, she fianally told...she has lost 56 pounds since April. Your weight-loss and increase in confidence and energy...while shrinking in size is very exciting and encouraging!

My friend did tell me about the occasional issue with PBing...she just didn't call it that...:-)

I just found out that another friend's daughter was just banded 2 weeks ago...so I think God is trying to tell me something!

Harplayer

Hi Harplayer.... Congatulations on your present journey.. it's so exciting. I was banded 2 weeks ago today, and I am still learning also, This site has some great information, as well as some very sympathetic and understanding people to learn from. I have already learned so much and yesterday was my first day.. Thank Heavens I found this wonderful site. Good luck, and keep those questions coming, the only bad question is the one you don't ask. This is a baby step process, with giant results. Hang in there.

Hi Pati,

Welcome to this group. Phyl and I are no longer in our 50's (maybe some others, too), but since technically we are over 50, these folks let us hang around. You will find some great support here, and it's here when you need it. I've not attended any local support group meetings, but I've heard they are sometimes so heavily attended it's hard to make connections or ask your own questions. Around here you can ask away and someone will be answering you within a short time. I've been working toward this surgery since April, and have really gotten an education. Almost like having the band - but talk about NO RESTRICTION!

Good luck on your journey.

Hi JoAnn and thank you. As you can see, 50 passed me by a while back also, but like you said,, I still qualify as 'over 50' so here I am, and glad to be here. I understand what you are saying about the local support groups, around here, however, they are not readily available. Even if I find one, I still like this site for the exact reasons you mentioned. So if no one minds, I will keep hanging around.

Also, if someone could tell me more about the ticker. I have mine made, how can I move mine here? Any suggestions?

Welcome!! There's also a thread called "New 60+" that you might want to check out.

Hey, we're neighbors for a few days! We're in our RV staying with friends in Three Rivers on our way to Desert Hot Springs for the winter!! Boy, is it hot here!! Didn't expect it to be this hot! But, that's why we left WA!! To get away from the rain and chilly temps!

16_6_1v.gif

I was banded 14 months ago. Down almost 90 lb.! Down one cholesterol pill and both BP Rx half the strength they were then!

Hi Phyl.... I would love to meet you while you are near me.. how long will you be here? I also used to live in WA..small world, huh? If you can read my profile, you can see my email addy... or pteet@hotmail.com... and just for the record.. the "pteet" isn't referring to my size, or former size... ahahhaha... :) Give me a yell, and let's try to meet, it would be fun.

I am getting close to a date for my surgery - I have to have an endoscopy next week and then just the return visit to the endocrinologist to go over all my bloodwork. During my nutritionist visit a couple weeks ago, she was asking about my meds. She told me that I would have to go off my hormones before lap band surgery for a few weeks. I was so taken back I didn't think to ask why. Does anyone know why? I have had lots of surgery over the years and have never been told I had to go off hormones first. I have terrible hot flashes that have never subsided over the years...I cannot sleep without them - I end up drenched every hour. I can't imagine being off them for a few weeks....arghhh. Anyone have any enlightening info? This may be a dealbreaker for me...:(

I am getting close to a date for my surgery - I have to have an endoscopy next week and then just the return visit to the endocrinologist to go over all my bloodwork. During my nutritionist visit a couple weeks ago, she was asking about my meds. She told me that I would have to go off my hormones before lap band surgery for a few weeks. I was so taken back I didn't think to ask why. Does anyone know why? I have had lots of surgery over the years and have never been told I had to go off hormones first. I have terrible hot flashes that have never subsided over the years...I cannot sleep without them - I end up drenched every hour. I can't imagine being off them for a few weeks....arghhh. Anyone have any enlightening info? This may be a dealbreaker for me...:(

Nys... Hang in there... call your doctor's office and ask them..tell them why you are worried about having to stop the hormones. I'm sure they will be willing to tell you the reasons.. Don't give up.

Hello to Everyone! I am having my surgery on Nov. 10 with Dr. Geiss on Long Island, NY. I am happy to have found this thread and I am looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Nys, I was supposed to go on a course of progesterone shortly before surgery and I was not to, as there is a relationship between that and blood clots. There may be an answer for you, so talk it over with your doctors.

Good luck! This is so worth doing.

My first fill is settling in nicely, 18 hours later. I'm already anxious for something in the way of solid food.