Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi all, I am being banded tomorrow. My surgeon is using a 10 band on me. what is the difference in the band sizes and will it take longer for me to get restriction since my band is large. Would like to know

Becko

I don't even know what size band I have. Didn't even realize there were different sizes til all the talk here about band sizes and cc's. I guess I like Janet's line of thinking, 'as long as it work'.

Today was my first day experiencing hunger, I am 2 weeks post op. So guess I have 4 weeks til my fill so could be entering 'bandster hell'. howver, the strange thing is today, is I have to force myself to eat every 3 hours or so. I just had tuna and could only eat an ounce. Is it usual to feel differing degrees of hunger like that? Tonight is a challenge. We are going to dinner with friends, who know nothing of my surgery. We are going to Chinese, so I just plan on some egg drop Soup but am sure I'll probably get some questions as to why that's all I'm having (I'm still on soft foods). Maybe I'll tell them, she's a good friend, I'm just not sure I want the world to know and if she'll keep quiet. LOL

Apples, you are the first person to say the same thing I said after surgery. It felt like i had done a lot of sit ups.

I am glad you're doing so well. Welcome to bandland! It's the greatest thing!

I have a 14ml or cc band. My stomach must have been humungous!!!! LOL.

I have 7.5mls in my band, but now need another fill. I have had two fills and have been banded for one year

Good Luck to everyone especially those who have recently been banded

I now think I may need my 2nd fill. It has been so hard the past few days to not be hungry all the time.. Today nothing satisfied me....Not scheduled to see my DR until 7/10 but am going to give her a call tomorrow and see if I can get in next week whenI get back from my weekend away..!!!

Hello, Over 50's. It's nice to be back. It has been a while. I have just read some replies about the band being a tool and want to agree with that. Somewhere back there when I was posting and reading here more, I got that message. But I lost it somewhere-- my stinkin' thinkin', I guess.

I have had four fills, slowly filled, and I feel as though I am at a good place at 6 mm in my 10 mm band.

However, I have been overeating -- old habits have crept in. My weight loss slowed down so I set an appointment with my center and discussed my food, habits and experiences.

What I heard was that I can do myself harm physically if I continue to overeat -- Even though the overeating is nothing like what I used to consume when "pigging out."

ONE CUP is a serving. The WLS fellow had me buy a metal one-cup measure -- a bit different looking than the thick plastic type measure -- and I have it on my counter so that everytime I eat, I have a reminder what a meal portion is. NOt one item on my plate, but a full meal.

Well, after about ten days, I have lost six pounds. And I am full, too. I just need to relearn for real what a portion is and what full is.

I just needed to share that with others who can relate. Life-long habits need tough reality checks and severe honesty.

So with that, I say Band is 40 percent, My Self is 40 percent, and using the helpful information to get real is all the rest.

The percentages may change as time goes on, however.

Thanks to all of you who post...

I now think I may need my 2nd fill. It has been so hard the past few days to not be hungry all the time.. Today nothing satisfied me....Not scheduled to see my DR until 7/10 but am going to give her a call tomorrow and see if I can get in next week whenI get back from my weekend away..!!!

Hang in there Lynn! I know it's hard. I still keep 3x5 cards in my purse, on the frig, at my desk at work & my car.....they are lime green, bright yellow & bright pink. One has a list of things I felt being 313 lbs, aches, pains, emotions etc., one has a list of things I hoped would change, improvements, hopes for my future, the last a list of things to do instead of eating or stopping in the car for fast food. I look at those cards when I'm hungry in my tummy or head hunger or if I feel I may get out of control of a situation.....so that I can CHANGE how I react to things. I actually got these ideas from a LBT post before I had my surgery.

Sorry....back to your fill. It does sound like you're ready. If you can't get in this week, try to divert your attention to something else. Sometimes it just takes one little thing, sometimes more but it really has worked for me. Hope you get that fill soon!

BECKO - I'm sorry I missed your band date! Hope everything went great and we hear from you soon.

Have a great day everyone! Carol:cool2:

Edited by luvsrocks
font size

Hello, Over 50's. It's nice to be back. It has been a while. I have just read some replies about the band being a tool and want to agree with that. Somewhere back there when I was posting and reading here more, I got that message. But I lost it somewhere-- my stinkin' thinkin', I guess.

I have had four fills, slowly filled, and I feel as though I am at a good place at 6 mm in my 10 mm band.

However, I have been overeating -- old habits have crept in. My weight loss slowed down so I set an appointment with my center and discussed my food, habits and experiences.

What I heard was that I can do myself harm physically if I continue to overeat -- Even though the overeating is nothing like what I used to consume when "pigging out."

ONE CUP is a serving. The WLS fellow had me buy a metal one-cup measure -- a bit different looking than the thick plastic type measure -- and I have it on my counter so that everytime I eat, I have a reminder what a meal portion is. NOt one item on my plate, but a full meal.

Well, after about ten days, I have lost six pounds. And I am full, too. I just need to relearn for real what a portion is and what full is.

I just needed to share that with others who can relate. Life-long habits need tough reality checks and severe honesty.

So with that, I say Band is 40 percent, My Self is 40 percent, and using the helpful information to get real is all the rest.

I am afraid this is going to be my problem. My DH has always eaten very quickly and I have picked up the habit in the last 35 yrs. Along with that the bites are too big. I am always going to slow down, but by the time I am eating this is forgotten! I'm afraid when I'm banded I am going to have some painful reminders.

I don't even know what size band I have. Didn't even realize there were different sizes til all the talk here about band sizes and cc's. I guess I like Janet's line of thinking, 'as long as it work'.

Today was my first day experiencing hunger, I am 2 weeks post op. So guess I have 4 weeks til my fill so could be entering 'bandster hell'. howver, the strange thing is today, is I have to force myself to eat every 3 hours or so. I just had tuna and could only eat an ounce. Is it usual to feel differing degrees of hunger like that? Tonight is a challenge. We are going to dinner with friends, who know nothing of my surgery. We are going to Chinese, so I just plan on some egg drop Soup but am sure I'll probably get some questions as to why that's all I'm having (I'm still on soft foods). Maybe I'll tell them, she's a good friend, I'm just not sure I want the world to know and if she'll keep quiet. LOL

Long - how did dinner go? Yep there are diff degrees of hunger and for me it seems like the majority of my night time hunger is all head hunger

and our bands are fickle - one minute we can eat a whole cup and not feel restriction and then eat 2 bites of something and be full...

Lynn - Yep bug them to up your appointment - your band isn't working if you don't have proper restrtiction .. I think I need like .01 adjustment but going to LV next week and keep hearing that flying tightens the band so I won't get my adjustment til I get back - I have been too tight once and that was enough never want to go there again.. I would rather use will power than being to tight..

PCgirl - Congrats on your 6 lbs - that's great !!! Yep old habits do have a way of creaping back in... I fight it daily!!!

I have a little bowl from target that is one cup - I have a scale (don't use as much anymore since I now know what 4 oz looks like)

Hang in there Lynn! I know it's hard. I still keep 3x5 cards in my purse, on the frig, at my desk at work & my car.....they are lime green, bright yellow & bright pink. One has a list of things I felt being 313 lbs, aches, pains, emotions etc., one has a list of things I hoped would change, improvements, hopes for my future, the last a list of things to do instead of eating or stopping in the car for fast food. I look at those cards when I'm hungry in my tummy or head hunger or if I feel I may get out of control of a situation.....so that I can CHANGE how I react to things. I actually got these ideas from a LBT post before I had my surgery.

Sorry....back to your fill. It does sound like you're ready. If you can't get in this week, try to divert your attention to something else. Sometimes it just takes one little thing, sometimes more but it really has worked for me. Hope you get that fill soon!

BECKO - I'm sorry I missed your band date! Hope everything went great and we hear from you soon.

Have a great day everyone! Carol:cool2:

Carol - How's it going?? Sounds like you are doing just great...

I am afraid this is going to be my problem. My DH has always eaten very quickly and I have picked up the habit in the last 35 yrs. Along with that the bites are too big. I am always going to slow down, but by the time I am eating this is forgotten! I'm afraid when I'm banded I am going to have some painful reminders.

Beverlydiane - Yep I still will forget to chew or take a bite that is too big - and yes your band will remind you.. Maybe not the first bite but the 2nd or 3rd - it will say stop :rolleyes2:

Long - how did dinner go? Yep there are diff degrees of hunger and for me it seems like the majority of my night time hunger is all head hunger

and our bands are fickle - one minute we can eat a whole cup and not feel restriction and then eat 2 bites of something and be full...

Drats had a long post and poof it the screen changed and it vanished. Thanks for asking about dinner. It went real well. I got my egg drop Soup and she did ask a few times if that was all I was eating and so I eventually fessed up. I'm glad I did as she was very supportive and had 2 family members out of state who had it done. One lost over 200 lbs. A few hours later when I got home I had some s/f pudding for 'dessert'.

I am getting frustrated though with the scale. It was going down so fast but now has seemed to stop for the past week or so. I feel I am barely eating a thing never more than 4 oz at a time how could it not? This too shall pass I suppose.

Question, if some days the band is tighter than others and you feel less hungry, what happens after you get a fill?

Dinner went great. I had the egg drop Soup. After about the 3rd time of her asking me if that was all I was going to eat, I fessed up and it went well. She was so supportive. And the soup totally satisfied me. I had some s/f pudding when I got home. Thanks for asking. Glad to know I'm not going crazy with being so hungry one day and hardly can eat a bite the next. I worry though when I get my first fill will those not hungry days feel too tight? How do I know how much a fill I need? I guess they figure all that out at the dr. office.

For

Long - does your doc do fills under fluro or blind. We are not in control of the fill amounts - your doc will do that - if your fill is under fluro - they will see the Fluid you drink going thru the band (fast or slow) and if you they are done blind - you drink Water and the doc ask how it feels - this is how my doc does it - Neither is an exact science -

Since I do have restriction most days - I don't feel I really need a fill - if I eat hard Proteins I do get full fast - soft mushies - don't seem to last - but when you get to the regular food stage - then you will know if you need a fill or not. You really can't make any judgement till then..

For me I don't find that the band takes away all my hunger - it helps but it's not the magic hunger turner offer (like my english)

I guess I will find out how he does the fills when I get my first one. It's not for a month yet. Gonna be a long wait! I get solids one week from today so that is going to help a lot. Today is my 2 week bandversary! I get solids at 3 weeks.

EGADS, I just got a lunch invite for today at Applebees! I seem to do okay at these outings if I get Soup so will stick with that plan! Funny, I never do much socially and it seems during my 'mushie' stage everything comes at once!

Hi to all, Well I did it!!!!. Didn't get home until 8pm last night. I feel a little rough today. Lots of gas and sore in my port area. I had ice chips all night and today so far ice chips and a little Unjury drink but went real slow. I dont exactly feel like some of you girls did the day after as I am sore. Once this gas gets out of there I am sure I feel better. The doc says the surgery went perfectly and I did real well. I feel really full evenwith a 1/2 cup of unjury with Water. Well thanks for all support as that really helps me. I am sure I will feel better soon.

Beckyo:redface:

Hi to all, Well I did it!!!!. Didn't get home until 8pm last night. I feel a little rough today. Lots of gas and sore in my port area. I had ice chips all night and today so far ice chips and a little Unjury drink but went real slow. I dont exactly feel like some of you girls did the day after as I am sore. Once this gas gets out of there I am sure I feel better. The doc says the surgery went perfectly and I did real well. I feel really full evenwith a 1/2 cup of unjury with Water. Well thanks for all support as that really helps me. I am sure I will feel better soon.

Congrats Beckyo !!!! Welcome to Band Land :lol:

Each day it does get better - heck you are doing better than me I wasn't on the computer the day after surgery I was still in the hospital :biggrin:

I felt pretty good by day 4 - so get your fluids - rest - you are doing great...

I guess I will find out how he does the fills when I get my first one. It's not for a month yet. Gonna be a long wait! I get solids one week from today so that is going to help a lot. Today is my 2 week bandversary! I get solids at 3 weeks.

EGADS, I just got a lunch invite for today at Applebees! I seem to do okay at these outings if I get Soup so will stick with that plan! Funny, I never do much socially and it seems during my 'mushie' stage everything comes at once!

Long yes - it seems like when you are trying to watch what you eat then all of a sudden everyone wants to eat out .... Soup was my life saver (creamed)

Yes you will notice a diff once you are on solids - it does help...

The internet.... a BIG advantage to these times in which we live.

Applebee's, as well as most of the other big "chain" restaurants, post their menu online. If I know I"m going somewhere like that to eat, I go online and check out the menu beforehand. You can see the nutritional info, calories, etc. and plan what you're going to order ahead of time. Last month we were going to Red Robin with a large group of people. So that's what we did. They have a TERRIBLE menu.... everything is high fat, high calorie. But we were able to find a grilled chicken breast meal that fit the bill and that's what I ordered. If you're prepared ahead of time, you won't be so likely to fall to temptation when you're sitting there staring at that menu.

7_4_12.gif

Good to hear everything went well.

You're on your way to a healthier you!!