Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I like this!

Hi all, Im going to have my second fill tomorrow, I hope it cuts down my appetite. My first fill my appetiite was down for about 11 days and then I become starving. The good thing is I finally have more energy. A three years ago I was in a car accident broke leg and arm, and unable to keep up with the house work. As soon as I would start to feel well was time for another surgery. I've been ok for a while now but over whelmed with where to start with the clutter. I am now pleased to say that I am getting through the mess. Even using a few power tools. Huray for me.

Can any one tell me how to move my ticker in case I'm down at tomorrow's appointment. I don't remember having to enter a pin to create it.

Esther

I all am so glad to have found this discussion board, am a young 64 was banded on Feb. 11th and loving it but also just getting to know my way around with the band, have had no major problems and no fills as of yet. Live in Washington State and if I could hurry mother nature up with Spring I would certainly do it, cold and cloudy here and still have some snow on the ground. YUK..... Also not very computer savey!!!!

Good luck to all

Dawnie

I all am so glad to have found this discussion board, am a young 64 was banded on Feb. 11th and loving it but also just getting to know my way around with the band, have had no major problems and no fills as of yet. Live in Washington State and if I could hurry mother nature up with Spring I would certainly do it, cold and cloudy here and still have some snow on the ground. YUK..... Also not very computer savey!!!!

Good luck to all

Dawnie

Welcome, Dawnie!

I was banded last summer, have since turned 64. I also live in WA state, but we spend the winter in southern CA. Welcome to this site. Also check out the 60+ site. Where did you have your surgery? Mine was in Seattle at Virginia Mason. Don't tell me about snow on the ground!!! We are headed home in two weeks and I'm afraid it's still going to be too cold up there for me!!! I'm spoiled!

Welcome Dawnie, Don't feel bad about the weather. Our snow is melting but we still have lots of it. I don't know where it's all going to go. I'm too tight right now and debating over to have some removed or try to baby it along and see if it will loosen up with a little time. Such a fickle little gadget we have in us!

I have been lurking around this forum for several months and have never posted before. I am so glad to see other people in my age group talking about thier experiences. I am 60 and it seems that many of the people on this forum are much younger. If this option had been available when I was younger I probably would have taken this path and lived a much happier life. I have been overweight most of my life, but was fairly fit and able to do most things I wasnted to do. My weight was more of a self-esteem issue than it was a physical limitation. Now I find I have arthritis in my knees so bad I have to walk with a cane. I have sleep apnea, high blood pressure and am pre-diabetic. My husband is 70 and I feel like I am dragging him down because he has slowed his life style down to match mine. (which at the moment is at a snail pace) I don't want to go and do things like I used to because I just feel so old and tired. My insurance company refuses to even discuss WLS, so I am going to be self pay. I can't afford the surgery, so my parents (both in their 90's) have offered to pay for the surgery for me. Thier comment was that they probably won't live much longer and the money will be mine anyway and there is nothing they would rather spend their money on than seeing me be healthy. I have some large guilt issues in talking the money as I feel that at my age I should be able to pay my own way, but I know this is the only way I will be able to afford the surgery. :lol: I feel like I should be taking care of them instead of vice-versa. My surgeon has told me that due to my age the losing will probably be slower and that I probably won't be able to lose all of the weight but I can make my life better. I haven't told many people that I am considering the surgery because I just feel that at this stage of my life I should have been able to control my eating and health issues. I am also fearful that I will fail and look like an idiot.:lol: My surgery is scheduled for June 27th after school is out for the summer, so I will have a long stretch off work to give me a running start on success.

I am just wondering what thought process you all went trhough to justify taking the risks at our age. I am thinking the risk of all the weight related complications are probably greater than the surgery risks. Thanks for letting me vent and I look forward to following this group and finding support from people who are in it for the health issues and not to fit into a barbie doll dress.:cursing:

kalaipahoa@lyahoo.com

1. joyceq

2. sfeiner

3. lonestar5212

4. PATCHELTON

5. opus

6, mayamom

7. Genea

8. sharon160

9. 2bthinagn

10. korpa11

11. unitygal

12. jollyrgers

13. mistymoon Brookings OR Banded 9/ 5/07

14. Susie313

15. BobbiG

16. Sandy Beach

17. lkgrubb : 65, Prescott, AZ, Banded:1/31/08

18. bitteroldhag

19. Teachlady

20. Serenissima

21. phyllser

22. SusieQ1964

23. alafish

24. sams46

25. spclk60

26. kalaipahoa

27. dawnie

I haven't posted in a while I guess I figure if I'm not losing what right do I have to give advice. But I'm back and looking for a new resolve.

hi Kalai,

Your question about motivation actually helped me. I remember why I did this. (Or at least one of the why's) Last August I was seeing a new Dr for first time. I told him I was thinking about Lap band surgery and his answer was - "You don't need that - ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS DIET" Yeah right - Like I had never thought of that before. Anyway, I had already researched it so I was so mad I went home and set up app't for surgery (self pay so went to MX) Had surgery on 9/5/07 I have lost a total of 63 pounds (27 prior to surg and it took about 8 months.)

I'm glad I did this and I will get back on the ball. When you don't have good restriction it becomes difficult but I know from reading on here that restriction will come. In fact I do have more than I did. Good Luck and Go for it!!!! :cursing:

I am just wondering what thought process you all went trhough to justify taking the risks at our age. I am thinking the risk of all the weight related complications are probably greater than the surgery risks. Thanks for letting me vent and I look forward to following this group and finding support from people who are in it for the health issues and not to fit into a barbie doll dress.:cursing:

kalaipahoa@lyahoo.com

Absolutely right...

the risks of staying fat are far greater than the risks of the surgery! No need to feel guilty...wonderful of your folks to offer to pay. That's great and their reasoning makes perfect sense.

This site is the greatest place you can come for support.. Don't "lurk", jump in and join in. I was banded last July at the age of 63 1/2. I've lost over 70 lb. It's slow but steady. And you have to work at it... find a way to exercise even with the physical limitations. I've been doing Water aerobics all winter because we were snowbirding in our RV in southern CA. Now that we're headed home (WA state), I will be looking for other ways to exercise that won't tax my knees. Also seeing an orthopedic surgeon later this month to see what can be done about the knees.

My Two Cents.... you have to stick to the rules.. whatever your surgeon's guidlines are, and you have to find a way to exercise even if it's just sitting in your chair lifting 2-3 lb weights or cans of Soup or whatever.... move, move, move! I read that even the simple act of standing to your feet will release an enzyme that burns calories!

Best of luck to you!