Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 Steps of Overeaters Anonymous

Well, I want to start posting my food for the day. I need to put it out there. My Breakfast was 16 oz crystal light with Protein liquid. lunch was 8 oz non-fat milk with one cup yogurt, blended with one scoop of protein whey. Afternoon snack was medium banana. dinner was the big fall out. Burger King, burger with FF, and diet coke; then two devil dogs. That's it for the day. I was close today, but tomorrow is another day for success. Good luck to us all.

Freetofly, Knock it off. You know who you are. Just TRY to take small steps to bring her out into the open. Stop dwelling on food. Start knitting baby blankets and take them to the hospital. Invite girls over to have their nails done twice a month. coffee and tea only. I know this is easier said than done, but start small. PLAN, PLAN, PLAN. I know I posted yesturday and I messed up big time but today was better. I planned. I had the right food in the house and knew what I could purchase at work. What are you eating tonight? What will you eat tomorrow? One day at a time; one meal at a time and the right Snacks in between. God bless you.

throw away the scale. it is a big emotional killer. 1 day at a time. 1 meal at a time. whatever. i am not going to dwell on the scale any more nor am i going to stress over my "diet." i hate diets. i am now in bandster hell. perhaps after a fill things will get better. but for now, i will do what i can and still enjoy living my life. i hope you can to.

OK, today's food post. Breakfast: Liquid Protein in 16 oz of Crystal light, lunch: skinless, boneless chicken breast with applesauce and 16 oz seltzer, afternoon snack: banana and 6 pieces of melon, dinner: large pickel slice, about 2 oz of corned beef, 6 slices of boiled potato w/butter (not much). Just finished another banana for evening snack. Wish I liked fruit more.

For 7/23 -- breakfast: liquid Protein with 16 oz. crystal light; lunch: large salad with about 2 oz. of thin sliced corned beef chopped up and 2 tbs. of mayo; afternoon snack: small apple then I got home and went mildly crazy with two pieces of American cheese and one slice of light bologna; dinner: 2 slices of pizza and 16 oz diet coke. dinner is hard. I need to plan better. I can't eat a salad at dinner if I had one for lunch. Just to much.

Hi Free to Fly,

We are so much alike it's eery! I have never gone to an OA meeting, but I think I NEED to. I had lap band surgery Oct 23, 2007 and have lost 80 pounds, but I'm at a plateau; still need to lose 60. I am a serious food addict. I can connect with eating the things that go down easily. Up until about 3 months ago, I was doing really well. Now, I want to go back to eating ice cream and junk. Oh, I need help!!

I moved to Nashville, Tennessee from Lewisville, Texas in 2002. I really miss Texas. All my family is there. Let's keep in touch and encourage each other. I KNOW we can beat this addition!! One day at a time.

Judy

I was in OA for about 3-4 years. I lost 120 lbs without diets and maintained it during that entire time. I did it by using the 12 steps to help me find focus in my life. I had a great sponsor.

Then the group kind of fell apart and my sponsor fell off the wagon. I quit going or searching for a new group and re gained all of my weight.

So now I was banded on Aug 25 but I know that it's not enough. I know that I need more. Has anyone here completed all 12 steps with a sponsor?

I'm ready to let go of all the insanity and have peace in my life again.

I promise I'm not trying to be rude. I just saw your progression slide show. You're obviously a beautiful lady- so why are there no full body shots since 2007? What's that about? Take a full body shot so we can all see how great you look!

Just found this thread tonight. I am here with you all. Have had weight problems all my life. If I am bored I eat, if I am happy I eat, if I am sad I eat... I began Curves and WW in 2006 at 337#, in September 2007 went to urgent care having a panic attack, they put on my paperwork that I was morbidly obese. Right then I decided I needed more help. Had the lap band in October 2007 at 300#. I have done good on and off. Recently had to have an unfill because I had something stuck in my band so I don't have much restriction now. I am hovering around 250#, have been for the past 6 months. I was working out... now not so much. I am disappointed in myself. I get bored with diets and fall back into eating crap. So I am admitting that I am powerless to food, like I told my friend if it will slide through that band I'm going to do it! *sigh*:thumbup:

Hi gang;

I am lurking back here on this thread because I've been sliding around with my food choices too. I belonged to OA years ago late 1980's and did very well. Lost my weight (60 lbs at the time) and kept it off for 3 years. That was the longest success I had ever had.

Then we moved and looking for a new group was unsuccessful...or perhaps I thought that "I" knew it all. :thumbup:

ANyways, yrs go by and my weight starts creeping up again. And time after time I lose, then regain, lose then regain more.... yada, yada... its the same story as everyone els I'm sure.

I started exercising a few years back, had a bad back injury, ruined my knees and decided that o.k. I'm a lot older now and I am paying the consequences for my addiction.

So I started investigating Lap Band and other W/L surgeries. I didn't qualify for Gas.By... as I had 90lbs to lose and not 100-! So I chose lapband. Problem being I was going to have to be self-pay.

This took 1 year of convincing my DH and Physician who were NOT supportive initialy.

I've had the lap band installed Jul07, then a repair done in Spring'08... I have lost 20 since banding, 40 pre-banding... but still have 30 lbs to go.

I know I will get there with the help of this "tool" but I still have to do the "other" part... the "HEAD" part... that's where OA will come in.

A few days ago I got out all my old OA books and started re-reading... I have been abstinant from junk food and sugar for 3 days..

Its a start.

Good luck to you all

(sorry this is so long, I just kinda wanted you all to know where I was coming from ) :blush:

I know how you feel. I am the same way. The great thing for me is that my doctor did NOT give me a diet with my lapband. He said 3 meals a day, chew well and stop eating before you're full. I've done great at the first 2 things he said, but even that has been hard. I want a snack and I ask myself, "Are you hungry or do you just want to eat that?" It's been really hard but I'm afraid that I'll PB/throwup so I'm motivated to do better because of that. I'm struggling with the "stop eating before you're full". If I could do that then I wouldn't have needed the band. I've been eating sweets, fried foods, etc. I tell myself that I'm doing great because I eat less bad foods now than pre-band so that's progress. Like they say in OA, it's about progress, not perfection. So I'm progressing, slowly but I'm progressing. Try not to be so hard on yourself and see the positive things that you have done and know that you can continue to improve. We're here for each other because we've had similar experiences and understand. Take care of yourself. I'll say a prayer for you (and for me too)

I know how you feel. I am the same way. The great thing for me is that my doctor did NOT give me a diet with my lapband. He said 3 meals a day, chew well and stop eating before you're full. I've done great at the first 2 things he said, but even that has been hard. I want a snack and I ask myself, "Are you hungry or do you just want to eat that?" It's been really hard but I'm afraid that I'll PB/throwup so I'm motivated to do better because of that. I'm struggling with the "stop eating before you're full". If I could do that then I wouldn't have needed the band. I've been eating sweets, fried foods, etc. I tell myself that I'm doing great because I eat less bad foods now than pre-band so that's progress. Like they say in OA, it's about progress, not perfection. So I'm progressing, slowly but I'm progressing. Try not to be so hard on yourself and see the positive things that you have done and know that you can continue to improve. We're here for each other because we've had similar experiences and understand. Take care of yourself. I'll say a prayer for you (and for me too)

Thanks Nena; I value your input... do I sound like I am being hard on myself? I cannot judge this for myself? weird huh?

Yesterday and this past weekend I was 3 meals o..k. food choices and I am very happy with that. Plus I got lots of exercise painting my kitchen, family room and front hallway. But its always a struggle to control the food demon...

I WILL one day at a time, if it is Gods will.:thumbup:

My name is Kim and I'm a compulsive overeater and an addict.

I just started my abstinence today and just want to share with y'all that today was the most painful (emotionally) day that I have ever had. I have not yet been banded but will be soon and in the mean time I am trying to stop bingeing as I don't want to wind up being one of those people that you hear about that gets banded and either gains weight, never loses weight, or regains weight. I can no longer afford to be fat, I am currently having health problems because of it. I want to live life without the obssesion with food and diets and diet pills. I don't want to be in control. I just want to be free. I returned to OA recently and I am hoping and even putting my faith in the program of OA.

My name is Kim and I'm a compulsive overeater and an addict.

I just started my abstinence today and just want to share with y'all that today was the most painful (emotionally) day that I have ever had. I have not yet been banded but will be soon and in the mean time I am trying to stop bingeing as I don't want to wind up being one of those people that you hear about that gets banded and either gains weight, never loses weight, or regains weight. I can no longer afford to be fat, I am currently having health problems because of it. I want to live life without the obssesion with food and diets and diet pills. I don't want to be in control. I just want to be free. I returned to OA recently and I am hoping and even putting my faith in the program of OA.

Great start!! Half the battle is admitting you have a problem. The band is a great tool (I've had mine for 15 mos. and am maintaining a 64 lb loss.

Now I still have more weight to go, but it is comming off and is staying off for good... No more Yo=yo's for me.

The band is a great tool, for the physical.. but you are smart to embrace OA to deal with the Emotional/Spiritual side of why we overeat... nobody puts a band around our heads!!!

You will often hear folks talk about "head" hunger vs. stomach or "real" hunger...

This morning I proved it to myself again. I made healthy pancakes, Flax seed meal, almond meal, oatmeal & a bit of bisquick to hold it all together.. SF syrop.. I made 6 pancakes. So I figured hummm I can eat TWO for sure. Put the other in the freezer, I "Wanted" two... but the Band stopped me...

As I sit here I was only able to eat 1 and then there are 2 bites still on my plate I can't finish... just can't..

When did i EVER leave food on my plate?

Good luck on your journey, we can do this together!!!

Hi everyone,I am so glad I found this thread so glad. I have been in OA for years on and off. I was bulimic years ago also. OA really helped me, but after my 3rd child and we moved to NJ out of NY I stopped going to meetings on a regular basis. I finally had the lap band in Juneof 08, thinking this was the magic bullit after hitting my highest weight this year. At first the band was graet I couldnt eat much at all lost 18 pds right away and felt great. But then my disease took over, I found the food I could eat with no problem,ice cream being number one and soft carbs. Ironically the healthy foods like chicken and salads were harder to get down. I have had 2 fills each time thinking this was the magic that was going to take my weight away. Of course it has not taken the obsession away,and I can still eat bowls of Cereal and ice cream if I get in that mind set. So last week I started going tback to OA, I have not told anyone yet except my sponsor that I have had the band.Not because of any other reason but because I cant believe I have had this surgery and am still having a such a hard time. I have been having SOOO much SHAME because I feel I am the only one in the world who had lap band and cannot lose weight because I can still eat.I know I need OA because it is a support group like this web site is,I have alot of problems that make me angry and thats why I eat,but it is just keeping the shame going.and hurting me. Thanks so much for letting me share with you all MARY