Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How&Where

Hi

I am here to look for someone. I am looking for a woman that felt good most of the time and had energy to get out of the house. If you think that I may be looking for my self your right. I miss feeling good and not being embarsed in public so I have started a Quest to find my former self.

This is where the how comes in. I have thought about Lap Band for years.

People have talked me out of doing it because it might be dangerous.

As if being over 300 lbs at 5'5 isn't dangerous! Anyway I have made up my mind. I want to do this ! Not for anyone else , for myself.

So how do I get the ball rolling? I won't have insurance till july but thought I might learn what I need to do before I can get the surgery.

My husband is one of the people that dose not want me to do this. He says he loves me for who I am and is not worried about me being over weight.

Do the doctors make a big deal about spouses approval or disapproval? Will they do it even if your husband is stating he dose not want you to have it done?

It dosn't help that my sister (the nurse) tells him and me about all the things that can go wrong.:cry

I am so sick of living like this.

I hope that there is some way I can get the help I need.

I can't just do the diet and lose all the weight. I have a bad knee and can do any physical work out. I use a cane to get around when my knee is acting up. The doctor wan't to do knee replacment but said I need to loose weight first.:)

I am only 44 but I feel like I am 75.

So what's the first thing that would help build a good case so I can get this done once I get insurance. Untill I get the operation I guess I will work on trying to lose some weight or just eatting a better diet.

TIAV

BigLuv

BigLuv

Between you and me, I sure he would rather have you skinny than to not have you, right?! I don't get banded until Jan 25. My husband was against it as well, dead set. I didn't want it to become a thorn in our marriage, so I prayed about it. He came up to me one day and we had a conversation about how he felt and he is on board. There are different consultations that you have to do in order to get approved.....ie...psych, nutrition and things like that. You might want to set those appts up and ask your honey to come with you to gain knowledge about it. Make an apt with the surgeon and get as much information about it in front of his eyes so that he can "see" that this is the best option for you....for him. Ignorance keeps a lot of people from being the great people that they were intended to be. With love, help him understand. Be encouraged, life is precious.

Best of luck,

Amy

Good luck BigLuv. I can't offer much advice, as it is much easier to get banded in Australia. I am lucky to have DH being very supportive. I hope you can convince your family to come around - and if they don't, you are doing it for you and your DH, not for them, so I say, go for it!

Bigluv - As far as I know, a doctor wouldn't really care what your spouse wanted because you're an adult and it's YOUR body. So don't let that stop you. :) But I think it would make your life easier to try and get him informed about the procedure to try and get him on board. Get him to go to a seminar. He can ask all the questions and express all his concerns to the surgeon.

DH was supportive of me doing this because he just wanted me to be happy. But the seminar DID help him because he got to ask questions that I didn't even think of and it also helped him to be prepared.

Until you can get to a seminar, just keep researching online. Get all the info you can possibly find and print it off for him. Get statistics. Sit him down and find out exactly what his concerns are and then see if you can address them together. If you can't find the answer online, then call a surgeon that you're considering for the surgery and ask them.

Good luck with it.

Welcome, I haven't had surgery yet and I'm here to learn all that I can. My advise to you is to go to the seminar the Dr's office offers. Bring your husband with you. My husband went with me and we both learned a lot about the procedure, insurance coverage is also covered, along with questions and answers by the people in attendance. At the seminar they also talked about the different appointments you will need to have (pulmonologist, cardiologist, and phys. consult) before the procedure can be done. We also received a packet that had a ton of information to take home and read. Good luck with your journey. Keep us posted!

Many insurance companies require a medically supervised weight loss program for 6 months or longer. Your doctor needs to keep good notes and you need to go in once a month to weigh and discuss your progress. You could start that process now. I know you don't have insurance but the price of an office visit each month until then would be worth it. That way you will have that part out of the way once your insurance kicks in.

I don't think the surgeon will care if your spouse objects. There are people on these boards that had the surgery without their spouse knowing about it.

i personally needed the support of dh. he has been my support system throughout this whole thing. i think if he were opposed, i would have crashed and burned emotionally.

it is joyous to have it done, and hopefully for you it will be smooth sailing afterwards. physically for me, it has been. (just started to lose weight last week). emotionally, however, that is a different story. i felt very much like someone had forced me into a drug rehab for food. hard to explain until you are there.

then again, my doctor did not require a psych eval because i was self pay.

i think you should pray and educate, as previously mentioned.

then if not, i do not think you should let your husband stop you from trying to be a healthier you. i'm sure when push comes to shove, he would understand.

At first when I discussed the lap band with people they would ALWAYS confuse it with the bypass and say "you'll die" or "don't they cut off your stomach??!"... I have my speech down to a T.. I say:

"No, you're thinking of the bypass... this is the lap band.. it's an in and out procedure and most people are back to work in 4-5 days.. with the bypass it's like a 3 week recovery and they cut you all up and remove stuff and re-hook stuff up.. this is just a band they put around your stomach and if I don't like it or have issues they can just remove it.. I can even get pregnant with this... you're thinking of something else".

So, then they are like, "ohhh, okay..".

This site is a great source for research... I have learned so much on here; my lap band doctor said I was one of the most well educated people he's ever met to come in for a consultation about the lap band.. I even knew what powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein shakes were.. he was like "I've never known anybody who has known what those were!" I was like, "Lapbandtalk.com baby!"

Anyway, it sounds like you really need this surgery. Question: Is your husband obese too? Perhaps he doesn't want ya'lls lifestyle to change and has fears about you getting trim and him staying obese... or, he fears that you will get trim and look at him differently... there are lots of reasons, but I know sometimes spouses fear the home lifestyle changing.... one becoming active and another staying sedentary.

You said you will have insurance in July. Most insurance companies require anywhere from 3 to 6 months of doctor supervised diet and excercise before they will approve the surgery. Do you know what your company requires? This would be a great opportunity to get those requirements out of the way. Start the Dr supervised diet now and you will have met the requirements by the time you're covered.

Good luck!