Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kinda gross question but...Anyone have issues when you got your first period?

:help:I got my period this morning for the first time (Day 16 for me) and I was absolutely miserable for 3 hours this morning. Normally I am just bloated and crampy and I haven't been on the pill for over a year so that is my norm. Today, I had unstoppable bowel movements and kept trying to vomit- hadn't eaten yet so not productive. I was sweating profusely everywhere and I was sweating so much on my face that my fiance thought I had put Water on it. I was in a lot of pain and was extremely dizzy. I crushed up a bunch of midol after my calling my doc (who didn't seem concerned) and feel much better after taking them.

Has anyone else had this or I am just weird?

Very interesting ShoeGirlia! I can't really help because I was just banded on 12/26, but this thought did enter my mind (which is why your post topic caught my attention). I'm due for mine next week and I was wondering if I would feel any different. I was hoping I would feel better (ie. less cramping, bloating, pms, etc.) due to the healthier eating and losing some weight, but now after hearing your experience I'm wondering just want will happen. Well, I sure hope that your experience doesn't repeat itself next month and I thank you for sharing your story as a possible warning for the rest of us. Take care and be well. KKG

My surgery was Oct. 24th, and I never got a period for October. Period came mid November and it was horrible. Very painful.

I then I had a second surgery December 18th to remove my port due to serious infection and again no period came for December.

I was told that surgery can throw your body off and affect your menstrual cycle.

I got my period 2 days after surgery. It was a fairly normal period. Not much additional cramping or anything... it just lasted a bit longer than normal.

I had my period a few weeks after my surgery and it was more bothersome than normal. I didn't call my doctor, but I assume that it was more painful because I just had surgery on my abdomen. Also I wasn't eating a lot of food due to the post-op diet, so I might have been a little malnourished too.

Surgery causes some serious stress on your body, so your plumbing may be a little screwed up. Try not to worry.

Call your doctor if you start to hemorrhage. Make sure you don't dehydrate, and get plenty of rest.

It did get better for me; esspecially as I lose weight my periods get easier!

My first post surgery period just ended and it was the easiest one I've had in years. I was really worried because I'm not supposed to take NSAIDs and Tylenol usually is completely ineffective. But I barely needed Tylenol at all. My guess is that the pre-op diet and my post op loss of a few pounds probably has already helped my hormones a bit and maybe helped my PCOS clear up a little(?).

Looks like we're all different, as I just finished my first since surgery too, and it was much much heavier than usual. The only good thing about flooding so heavily was that it was over in a much shorter time frame (3-4 days instead of 6-7).

Well I guess we are all different. I had my first period about 3 weeks after surgery, and all went well. No problems or anything. I hope you feel better. Or call your doc if things dont get better.

I was just talking about this to my husband today....I have pcos and take provera for onset of my mensus.....I usually get is on the third day after my dose.....that is the 25th! I don't know if I can let the surgery team throw me around on that table bleeding all over the place!:) Suggestions?! Should I not take my dose this month and hope that it doesn't come? I've spent most of my life not worrying about "aunt flow", and now that I'm going to be naked, spread eagle on a cold slab.....I don't know what to do!

Everyone needs humbling experiences, I hope this doesnt' need to be one of mine.

Amy

Huh. I had my first about 2 weeks after surgery and everything was pretty much business as usual. Of course, I had a miscarriage at the beginning of September and my periods have been pretty heavy and strange since then, so I have no idea if that one was out of the ordinary for me.

I actually got my period the day of my first fill, last thursday, and I have felt like "yuck" ever since. Cramps like never before in my life, etc. I have vomited and had trouble keeping anything in my pouch, I am bloated and miserable. My doctor indicated that the changes in my body are probably what has caused the extreme cramping etc. Changes from the band and the fill and all that at once. I am giving it a few more days and will call the doc again.

Amy don't worry I was on my period the day of my surgery it was no problem at all. I was on my third day the heaviest of all and I just doubled up tampon and pad. They gave me those little cheese cloth underwear like after you have a baby and I had no problems what so ever. So don't stress.

Hey I have PCOS too and I am having the surgery for that reason as I had to have IVF for my first child and now I want to conceive naturally. Do you have it bad?

I had my period a month after surgery and the first three were pretty horrible, bad cramps, etc. My gyno said that it's probably because the first few months you are dropping a lot of weight and your body is still creating the hormones for you being at your beginning weight, in other words you now have to much estrogen etc in your system, which causes horrible periods. It's been six months and mine have now balanced out.