Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any prebander decided not to....and...

Anyone almost do the band. After the researching and information and Drs visits did anyone decide NOT to go thru with banding and still succeed in losing weight?

If so, how long did it take until you changed your mind and went for the banding?

I asked myself this 1000x times before getting the band. I descided to go with it cause if it doesn't work out, I can turn it off. I got banded this Monday and I feel great here on Thursday. Im also loosing weight.

soozan-hecky no!! i did my research when the band wasn't even thought of and it was just the gastric. I was just too scared with that. Plus I didn't want to lose that much weight in a short amount of time. So when they were talking about the lap band, i did research for a whole year. I never turned back on that decision. shoot i was kinda heated because i was supposed to have surgery on friday and my dr. changed it to saturday

I did two years ago. Did all the research, decided on it, then started losing on my own; so I decided not to do it. Lost just over 50 lbs and was doing great. Then I moved across the country and fell off track with my diet and exercise and regained everything and then some.

So this time I am sticking with it. Surgery is in 2 weeks. I know I can do it; I just need the tool to keep me on track and help keep me from getting complacent and re-gaining again.

Best of luck with your decision!

Mine wasn't the band..

RNY.. I decided I wanted it when I was 17 (6 years ago). I was begging my parents to be on board, but they wouldn't budge. So I did Atkins.. I lost 60ish pounds, then gained it all back + 30-40lb more.

By time I was 22 I was basically crippled! So I decided to do RNY with or without support.. then I found the lap-band, everyone was happy with the idea of it, so a month after finding out about it, found me a doctor, and a month or so after that had the surgery. Not looking back!

I researched everything I could find for a couple months, weeding out all the propaganda. I learned that the band is absolutely stellar for the short term, lots of weight loss success, but I was dismayed by the long-term results. The turnoffs for me were the reflux, vomiting, port issues, hair loss, and the high percentage of "reoperation" including removals and opting for a more drastic surgery. Not an option for me if the band didn't work.

When I got the bad news I was really disappointed because I was totally about to go through with this process. I had tried everything short of pills to lose this extra 115 pounds! BUT I only tried each thing one at a time....

When I exercised, I was more hungry, I ate more, I gained muscle wieght, got frustrated, quit, and kept the new weight which turned into fat. When I ate less and kept a nutrition diary, I had some success losing about 15 pounds but I didn't exercise. So when "life" happened I had no backup plan other than to resume comfort eating and I gained back 7 pounds.

That's the point where I was pro-banding, but once I realized all the long-term complications I decided to make one final push to do it on my own. So now I'm controlling portions, keeping a diet diary, and exercising 30 minutes per day.

Ironically enough, it was visiting this site that gave me the courage and the tools to lose weight even though I decided not to get a band right now. I've found tons of inspiration and great tips so I'm totally still lurking even if I am a poseur!! A poseur who's losing 2# per week!!!

Same story here - researched this for the last 4 years or so and was too scared to talk to my hubby so I chickened out. Finally mentioned it to him in September and two weeks later I was banded - can not believe I waited so long!!!

DO IT!!! Love the band!

I researched and decided I would lose weight on my own. I did lose 50 pounds on my own, then I hit a plateau. For months and months, I lost nothing and even gained and lost the same couple of pounds over and over. I knew if I didn't do something, I would gain the 50 pounds back and I didn't want to do that because I had an additional 100 pounds I needed to lose. So I got the band. I'm glad I did. 2008 is going to be the year I get this flab off!!!

Im so glad that someone started this thread!! I have jumped threw all of my hoops, changed Insurance (my company had great coverage, but changed carriers with the new year, so we decided to keep a personal policy with the old carrier) I have gotten all my family on board with my decision. I have only told one friend so far, Im just not ready for that yet. So here I sit, my appointment with the surgeon is 1/11/08, and they will petition my insurance company on February 1st or 4th (because of the change of policys doesnt go into effect until 2/1/08) And I am totally FREAKING OUT!!! I know I cant keep the weight off by myself, and I know that once Ive had the band, I will wish I had done it years ago!!! In the beginning this whole process seemed like it would take for ever, and now its almost here, the time flew by!! I guess I just have a case of cold feet!!!

Yea I thought I will just give myself one last shot at doing it on my own, because I don't need the band. I don't want to spend £8,000 (UK private) and it's just the easy way out.

How wrong I was, I did the 'last diet' on my own and ending up gaining 1 1/2 stone.

So that was it re-booked in my 2nd consultation and headed straight back to the hospital. I am now booked in for 29th Jan !!!!

It was mainly nerves and negative people around me who didn't understand the band that put me off at first but I am now on the liquid diet before operation and I can clearly say that I am happy with my descision to go ahead.

Lauren x

I looked into wls years ago before the band hit the U.S. I was checking out gbypass, made the appt. but I stopped and prayed about it and the Lord said NO. So I stopped dieted on my own lost and gained the same 75lbs over and over for a few years, I just gave up. Living life as a very obese woman. Than I heard about the band, prayed about it....No answer from the Lord.

Prayed again and the Lord answered me with a Yes, so here I am today looking and doing great with over 200 lbs lost!!

I considered getting the band in Jan of 2006, but with the 16K price tag (self pay) I decided to give it a try on my own. I actually lost about 20 pounds. Then in April 2007 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, mild sleep apnea, and high cholesteral. I was banded in Aug 2007, I am off the meds for diabetes and cholesteral. My GP says my "numbers are excellent".

I was suffering from diseases of the morbidly obese. Thanks to the band, I am 35 pounds later, and med free.

My only regret is not getting the band sooner, and avoiding diabetes all together. Even though my numbers are good, I will always be diabetic. The band could have prevented it.

i'm glad to hear this. I'm seriously thinking if i can continue to eat on the diet they have given me and maybe go a bit off on the weekend I can try to avoid the lap band. you inspired me,

I'm seriously thinking if i can continue to eat on the diet they have given me and maybe go a bit off on the weekend I can try to avoid the lap band.

I was convinced for a while that I really wanted and needed to get a band. I thought to myself that since there seems to be such a long wait in my area for this procedure I should really start doing the deal while I wait. I knew if I didn't I would just keep gaining, that's just what I do. I read up on the procedure, started exercising, and resuscitated my eating plan that I'd abandoned of late.

I was surprised to find that I was losing weight steadily. Then I read up on the possible drawbacks of the band, and the risks seemed a little scarier than what I was willing to deal with, so I dropped the idea for the time being and kept on working.

The hardest part has been dealing with my food issues, but my little bit of progress has really bolstered my courage and my ability to fight that small convincing voice that nags at the back of my mind telling me to EAT... EAT! I've lost 21 pounds all on my own, doesn't sound like much but it's the most I've EVER lost.

I'm putting the band on the back burner, it will be there if I absolutely cannot do it without help.

Riotgrrl, Good for you for giving it your best shot at losing weight on your own. A couple months ago I was exactly at the place where you are now--I canceled my scheduled lap band surgery 4 weeks before the surgery in order to give it 'one last try' at dieting. I put my whole heart into it and after 2 weeks things were going great. But, then I reached a plateau and began slipping, and finally fell off the wagon, just like the hundreds of times before. So I rescheduled the surgery. I certainly was not excited about having the surgery, just 'resigned' to the idea that I had run out of options and the lap band was the safest procedure. Surgery was in January and I must say that now I have no regrets. Weight is coming off slowly, I don't slime and puke. Physically, I feel the same as I did pre-banding--Because I've had no fills, there are no foods I can't physically eat. However, I have chosen not to eat unhealthy foods. The only difference is that after I eat my cup or 1-1/2c (max) of food at each meal, I actually feel pleasantly full and have no desire to eat anything else. I don't get hungry until 3-4 hours after a meal. If things continue as they are now, I may never get a fill which would be great because then I wouldn't have to deal with the problems that can come along with being restricted. But, if I eventually find I need restriction, I'll get a fill(s).

Only a suggestion, but one thing that might be helpful to you, as you are losing weight on your own, is to 'pretend' you already have the band and follow the banding rules. Rules vary among doctors, but mine are: 1) Never, never, never eat more than 1-1/2c of food at a meal, 2) Eat Protein first, vegetable second, then fruit or whole grain if there is room, 3) Eat 40-60g. protein/day, 4) Take small bites and chew completely (I'm not good at this but I try), 5) Don't drink anything 1/2hr. before a meal, during the meal, or 1 hr. after a meal (Actually, I don't drink anything for 2-3 hours after a meal because doing this seems to allow the real food to stay in the pouch for a longer time meaning I'm not hungry for a long time. I also don't have Soup at a meal because it washes the food out of the pouch too quickly, 6) Drink a lot of Water. This is tricky for me because I'm left with only a small window of time in which to drink the water--2-1/2 hours after a meal but 1/2 hour before the next meal. I have, at this point, no regrets on being banded. I wish you the best of luck in doing it on your own. Maybe you'll just make it. I hope you do! But remember, the band option is there if you should need it down the line.