Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

comparison with gastric bypass patients

Hi,

I am new here - was banded October 26,2007.

My biggest frustration is that everyone in the world is used to seeing people who have had gastric bypass surgery lose like 30 pounds in the month after surgery. With L.B. surgery it takes a while to lose and I feel like people are looking me up and down wondering why I still look the same after over two months. Does anyone else have this problem? This is why I kind of wish I hadn't told anyone I had the surgery!

I am in AZ too. I told only 3 people to avoid other peoples expectations.

I feel like most people are used to seeing me gain weight so even when I was 5 pounds down most people were shocked.

That is what I was worried about and that is why I chose not to tell anyone other than my DH and mom. I know alot of people that have had the bypass, so I knew that if I wasn't losing weight like they thought I should I would hear about it.

Since you have told people now might be a good time to educate them on how the band works.

Good luck

I only told my hubby, daughter & 2 friends. I hardly see my 2 friends. 1 is a nurse so she knows all about the band, that is 1 reason why I told her. I did not tell anyone else in my family. They would be the worst people to judge me. Not to mention I would hear from them ohhh see you are so fat you had to take the easy way out & have this done. It is none of anyone business but MINE! I told e1 including work that I had my gall bladder out. I have lost 45 pounds since oct! I am so happy! I know it comes off slower. I am so happy I had this done. Good luck!

i told everyone, and i totally feel your frustration. i have actually had people tell me that i wasted my money.

don't worry we'll show them.

(i feel like i should wear a disclaimer shirt (lap band patient: disclaimer-do not expect rapid weight loss and do not compare to gastric bypass)

I'm wishing now that I wouldn't have tild anyone for that very reason! We tenacious tens seem to be a sad bunch right now. I guess we are all in bandster hell. I'm so disgusted that my first fill did nothing!

You know, for a few weeks, I really fell like I made a mistake. I thought, I could be losing SO MUCH more weight, so much more quickly. I thought, how much easier it would have been to just get a bypass and move on with my life.

then i went to go get my first fill. It was at a surgery center, because its under floro, and a nurse was getting me ready for the procedure, and she said, 'you know, the lapband is so much better than the bypass, in my opinion. the people who have the bypass are SICK for months after the surgery'.

Then I remembered why I did this in the first place, i didnt want to define my life by weight loss surgery. I didnt want to be 'that girl'.

Ignore the haters, dont tell the people who arent necessary about the surgery. Its the easiest way to go in my opinion.

One thing that I keep in mind when i feel judged by myself and others for losing fast enough is that I AM NOT GOING TO REGAIN IT BACK. My tool won't let me. I have lost 22 lbs in 4 months. Although others may consider this slow, I don't...this is good. Pre-band, I would have fallen off my diet by week 3 and gained more weight. This is the 1st holiday season where I lost some weight. This tool gives me momentum....I love it. Others judging us don't see these little victories. Celebrate them!

Be kind to yourself!

Hello, October Bandsters!

I am doing quite well. My last fill was the second and I had begun to think nothing my appetite would keep coming back. But after the fill I have had good restriction and feel not interested in the food in front of me after eating half or so. It's kind of amazing. And I keep full pretty good. I am hoping that third fill will really be the turning point.

I am consciously only eating around one cup of food, but that has been pretty easy as I am not interested...

Nothing like that never ending appetite I had before banding.

No, I would not go the other way at all. It's safer and healthier! Just know that.

hey i feel the same. i did not tell anyone except my husband for that same reason. i lost 16 pds. i am kinda frustrated but i am in it for the long haul. i go for my 3rd fill on thursday. i hope i get a good restriction. i really like this thread. i feel like i am not alone. cheers to us all!!!!!

This post made me chuckle because of my experience. I was at work a few weeks ago (I am a nurse), and one of the cardiologists that we work with all the time saw me for the first time since I had been back from surgery. He actually looked me up and down-visibly. I told him "It's only been 3 weeks, no, I'm not skinny yet!" I couldn't believe I actually had to explain this to a DOCTOR. :P

I know so many people who had gastric bypass and have gained most of their weight back. They lose weight really fast in the beginning but they don't have to learn new habits the way bandsters do. After the first year, they are all gaining weight back.

I know a lady that was 400 lbs and got down to 140. She had a Tummy Tuck, her arms done and is now close to 300 lbs again.

Comparison to the bypass is THE main reason I refrained from telling the world about my band. Only 3 people at work know and my close friends and family. I try to give people mini education lessons about the band, it's easy to bring up when I'm talking about fills (no one understands how that works) so that's how I explain the difference. The band is adjustable and I have to find a sweet spot, until then weight loss is slow and wavering. My family and stuff has been very supportive so far.

At work is where I'm most concerned. These people don't care about me like my friends and family. I try to keep it to myself, I also go to WW for support so I'm just telling people that notice my loss that I'm going to WW and excercising.

It's hard not to compare myself either... but that's useless for me since the bypass was NOT an option. I had pre-existing digestive track issues (malrotation and adhesions) that would prohibit them from the "bypass" part of the bypass. Lucky me.

The band is awesome though. I'm just not working it like I should.

Denise, thanks for bringing this up. When you look at it like that... we are on track. We are given the time to loss slowly and more naturally. AND when I was considering the band, that is one fact that sold me even more... it's adjustable. I know people who have stretched their pouch and are gaining or who have stopped losing... it takes a lot of hard work no matter which path you take.

Side note rant - I really wish our surgical teams took more of an active roll in after care in terms of mental recovery from food addiction and nutritional support. I know we have to do the work, but I feel kinda out to dry in terms of support for the long run.

I know so many people who had gastric bypass and have gained most of their weight back. They lose weight really fast in the beginning but they don't have to learn new habits the way bandsters do. After the first year, they are all gaining weight back.

I know a lady that was 400 lbs and got down to 140. She had a Tummy Tuck, her arms done and is now close to 300 lbs again.

I am glad I didn't tell anyone that I got the band. My kids know, and a couple of very supportive friends know. I don't want to be compared to gastric bypass people. Having the band is so much healthier, as far as I am concerned. Sure, we have problems with sweet spots and fills, but at least we still have all of our body parts.

I know some gastric bypass patients that are getting banded because they gained most of their weight back.