Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crud - I swallowed a piece of gum :-(

Oh, remember that chocolate gum? I can't remember the brand..... It was always so soft that it was hard to chew until you'd chewed the chocolate out of it!

The trick here would be to keep the stuff in the pouch long enough to soften the gum.....not sure how that would work.....

I'll have to look up that gum now. LOL

Wow - I'm glad I found this thread! I wasn't told anything about gum and I've been chewing the sugar free kind like mad! I haven't swallowed any (which I would normally do), as I kind of had an inkling that it might not be such a good idea, but had no idea it could be that bad! No wonder people aren't dealing with their hunger pangs by chewing sf gum! Damn!! Now what am I gonna do, coz that was working so well!

Gum makes me nauseated from not eating...and I don't like mint.

So I've never been a gum chewer!

If you can keep from swallowing it, and it's that important to you, I'd keep chewing it.. carefully. Maybe install a grate in your throat that won't let gum slip through hehehehehe.

I chew gum all the time. I can't even make myself swallow gum, so I think I'll be ok. I'll take my chances.

SO, how about another gumwatch update??? Still stuck?

Alyson - My nurse has sat me up with the needle still sticking out of my port to make me drink. They can pull all your liquid out, sit you up, make you drink Water to wash the gum down, they lay you down and refill it.
I'm only 3 weeks post-op and the doc didn't put a fill in at surgery, so - unless I still have swelling - I'm as open as I'm going to be.

I think it's a long skinny piece which means it has to go through vertically...

(yes, Day 6 - still there :-( )

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Seven Years to Digest Gum

It wouldn't let me copy & paste but.. it says vegetable-oil softens gum. It says your body doesn't digest it, but it of course goes through your body. If it doesn't go through your body, I wonder how long it actually will stay around. I would try to barf it up..

Here's some other random website info I found....

Peanut Butter works - Rub creamy Peanut Butter into hair and work it into the gum. It will dissolve the gum.

The enigmatic enzyme that dissolves gum might occur in chocolate. When I was a child, my Double Bubble gum would disintegrate if I ate M&Ms at the same time

I'm not that crazy about chocolate, but I pick chocolate over vegetable oil, lol.

I did try to hack it up before I realized I might do more harm than good. I wonder if it would come up during a PB of another food? But I don't want to risk harming the band because of a tiny piece of gum...

Good Grief! I had no clue gum could be such a problem. I chew gum all the time. It keeps me from eating. I have never swallowed a piece and probably have been chewing gum for 50 years. I sure hope I never accidentally swallow gum! I usually spit it out as soon as it loses it's flavor.

I could never go to the gym either without chewing gum. For some reason, I have to chew gum while doing cardio.

{{hugs}} for you!!!

I keep checking to see how you are doing and if it's worked it's way out yet.

About 2 months ago I started thinking about the gum I chewed (religiously) and went into panic about what would happen if I swallowed it. I was never told not to; I just got to thinking and playing it through my noodle.

I don't even chew it anymore which is sad. I LOVE gum but it does make me hungry. I have switched to mints just for safety.

wombat

I'm glad I can't/don't chew gum cuz of my TMJ disorder... After about a minute my jaws are killing me..

Which makes me worry about how my jaws will handle all the constant chewing I'll have to do for the lap band... and also that tube they have to stick in my mouth for the surgery...

Now this has really got me thinking. LOL..

Good luck with getting the gum out! Somebody mentioned the unfill, washing it down and then refilling.. and that sounds like it could work if it keeps bugging ya.

The unfill would be ideal....except they just had surgery 3 weeks ago. so nothing is in the band...it cant be unfilled. and trying to make it come up is not a good idea either...beczause you dont want to risk hurting the placement of the newly placed band. I am hoping your swelling goes down quick so it will pass on its own.

If worst comes to worst the gum can be removed by having an EGD. That's and endoscopic procedure where they put a scope down your throat and they are able to visualize the gum they can just grab it with a forcep and remove it. Hope you don't have to have that but in any case it's a simple procedure. Good luck!

Since you're so freshly banded, I would NOT recommend trying to PB it up. I didn't realize you're only 3 weeks out. :)

Wow, no one ever told me not to chew gum. I cannot live without gum!!! I chew gum every day... 2-3 pieces a day and it keeps my mind off of food. Plus it freshens my breat ::huff huff::.

I think the last time I swallowed a piece of gum was over 10 years ago, so it isn't very likely it will happen accidently. (as long as I didn't just jinx myself)

Well, it's still there, but it's less uncomfortable than it was at first. I can almost forget it's there until I get dehydrated - then I can feel it bouncing around. I think that's the dangerous time - when I feel it I am compelled to work my throat/esophagus and I'm concerned that will pull too hard on the banded area and/or cause swelling.

I really hope it goes down soon, or that the doctor will consider pulling it out - I don't think I can handle going through another month or longer like this... I'm scheduled for a visit on the 24th, so we'll see...