Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I am a new member and am scheduled for surgery on Feb. 27th. My doctor wants me on Medifast for 5 weeks before. I hope he incorporates some food in there. I'm worried about getting through that. I too have two sons who are in their twenties and I have not told them about this.

I am sure they will feel I should just diet and excercise which trying for many years has not worked. I gained a lot over the past 10 years and just feel that I need help and the lapband I hope is my answer. My husband knows and is supportive but still wishes I would do it by walking and watching what I eat. I wish it was that easy! My son gets married in 2009 and it would mean the world to me to look good at that wedding. I have had many goals before (cruises etc.) that never worked but this is very important to me and so is looking my best. I haven't told anyone but my husband and I really don't want to, at least until I see it working for me. I will need the support of the groups and this forum. I am hoping that when I am successful (which I plan to be) that I can share this with some friends that could use the help also. I do get nervous when I read the not -so- good stories but I read more good stories that bad. I have a relative that had the by-pass surgery and is so glad she did. She had health reasons and is now doing good. She only wishes she did it years ago. Thanks for listening and I hope to stay in touch. If I can be of help, please just ask.

:nervous

It is so hard for too many people to understand why we need to go through such drastic measures. When I was banded it was the first time I didn't have a bottomless pit so I naturally shed a lot of weight. I ran into the same attidudes of, "Why not just diet?" It would start discussions of food addiction & bad habits, and as it turns out, just about everyone has something they wish they had more control over, whether it be spending money, smoking, Starbucks, whatever. Now I have a little tough love for you that someone slapped me with a long time ago. Remember that it's not your wedding, it's not about you. Like you I have also never kept one of those goals, so just take your health day by day and keep the rewards close to your heart without letting anyone trample them.

Welcome! Please make yourself at home here.

I have pretty much told everyone I know about my upcoming surgery, and I have been fortunate enough to have many understanding family members and friends. I know this is not the norm, but I have not run into any negativity at all.

Telling people about the surgery is 100% a personal choice, but for me, I didn't want to carry that extra baggage around with me on my journey. I wanted to be light on the inside as well as out. I know stress has played a major factor in my weight struggles, so I am doing all I can to shed all that weight.

Good luck to you, and please keep in touch. That is what we are all here for. Look around here with all your extra time, and definitely check out the before/after pics thread. It is incredibly inspirational!

Feb. 11th is my birthday so I will be thinking of you on that day. Let me know how you did because I will be having my surgery on my Dads birthday who is no longer with us. Good Luck and thanks for your reply.

Hey Nancy, I hope that your boys support you after they see how great you are feeling and how much healthier you are. I hope we February Bandsters become great friends and then we'll get to see you looking all hot at your son's wedding next year! =)

Also, I feel terrible for you about the Medifast thing. I hope it's easier than you expect it to be. *hug*

10 years ago I did the medifast thing for 4 months. I got 5 shakes a day...or maybe it was 6, no other food, and it was really easy after the first couple of days. no decisions to make, no food to tempt me, and having a shake every 3 hours kept the hunger at bay.

I did notice, recently, their plan now includes real food for dinner.

Needless to say, after loosing 60 pounds on it, I gained it all back plus many more, but you will be banded and won't gain it back. <g>

Nancy, I'm a February Bandster myself, 2/4. I'm doing this b/c I'm a food addict and even with working on the issues that surround my food addiction, I still need a permanent life change that will allow me to live my life and not die. I've had people say to me, "if you could eat smaller meals, you'd be fine", they just don't understand. Walk around with an extra 80-150 pounds on your body for 20 or 30 years, then we'll talk.

Good luck with the surgery, hope everything goes well. Keep a positive frame of mind and you'll do great!

Neenco,

I so understand. I love food just like everyone else. I don't eat tons but it is my poor choices. I give in to the fast foods rest. etc. I have about 80 to 100 extra pounds and it sucks. I am sick of feeling like I look awful everywhere I go.