Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Already started my first steps. My doc and i decided on the gastric bypass because of my health history. I’ve done the first meet with a doc and got my Surgical Weightloss Management Journal. My first dietitian appointment on Monday. The I’ve got a few appointments next month. If everything goes according to plan my surgery can be somewhere from October to November. I’m excited and very nervous at the same time. Any advice?

Hi 👋

I’m just starting my journey too! My appointments are over the next couple of months but no indication of when I could expect surgery. It could be up to a year apparently but I’m hoping that everything is straightforward with the appointments and tests so there’s no delays (and therefore my surgery is sooner 🤞) Where are you based? I’m UK 😊

I’ve been reading everything I can, downloading bariatric recipe books, ordered a couple of bariatric plates (advised by dietitian for portion control) plus measuring cups and spoons to make weighing a bit simpler. I’ve started to eat a more protein-based diet and I’m learning to slow down my eating (20 mins) so I’m not overwhelmed when I have to start the liver control diet and then surgery!

Good luck with your journey, hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Congratulations! I'm almost 4 months post-op from gastric bypass and my advice is to watch every video from Dr. Matthew Weiner (Pound of Cure Weight Loss) and Dr. John Pilcher on YouTube. These were by far the best resources I found, and I go back and watch many of them (especially Dr. Weiner's, and also his new podcast) all the time even now. Especially the ones on how to build lifelong behaviors to keep the weight off.

One thing I did early on, right after my first bariatric appointment where I weighed in at my highest weight ever (yikes!) was order Dr. Weiner's books. There's The Pound of Cure, which gives a detailed, step by step way to make healthy changes to your diet, plus a second book explaining how bariatric surgery really works and then his bariatric cookbook (I also really like Bariatric Meal Prep Made Easy by Kristin Willard). I made several of the changes recommended by the Pound of Cure (I didn't start with the 2-week diet, just started implementing changes I thought I could manage) and over time I lost about 12 pounds, plus just felt healthier and more in control of what I was eating.

One other piece of advice: don't over-buy Protein supplements. So many people on this board will tell you this, and I did not heed the advice. Now my cupboard is full of protein supplements I stopped liking after surgery and will never use. I've barely needed supplements after the first month or so, honestly. I feel guilty at how much money I spent on them, but I will likely end up throwing them all away (most are opened so can't be donated). If you want to stock up on anything, an unflavored Protein Powder is much more likely to be useful to you in the long run than the flavored shakes. But if you're buying flavored ones, consider trying a Soup flavored one because the sweet ones get old really fast, even pre-surgery.

Oh, and take "before" photos! I know taking photos can be so uncomfortable, but you will want them. Choose something very form fitting to start. I went with a pair of exercise leggings and a tank top that was so tight it was like skin. I took photos about a week after my first appointment, so around my highest weight, and then on the day before surgery and at each month-marker thereafter. So far, I've worn the same clothing each time, although I may need to change that as it becomes too baggy to show the progress clearly. Take your measurements the same day you take your photos. You may struggle to see (or refuse to believe) the changes in yourself, but the photos and measurements don't lie. Even if it's painful to see the photos now, you will be so grateful to have them later. I was in shock and wanted to cry when I truly looked at my highest weight photos, but I'm so glad I took them.

I don’t like photos of myself but I think I’ll take your advice and do the before and after photos, as well as the measurements. Thanks for telling me about the supplements, I’m glad I know it’s a waste of money. It was on my list of things to buy but I’ll take it off now lol. Also I’m a big reader and will most definitely be getting those books. Any other advice you think would be good?

Welcome and congratulations on choosing your health and yourself as important.

As well as pictures, measure yourself with a tape measure, all over. I checked thigh and knee and upper arm girth. I even had my son take photos of my butt with me bending over lol. Really, really, there will be days and months of stalls later on and those before measurements to compare your results will help keep your momentum in choosing self care.

You may find yourself in this journey so much stronger in setting healthy boundaries for yourself instead of constantly sacrificing yourself non-stop. Your expectations for your family members will grow and you may be strongly encouraging them to be more independent. You won’t be eating for entertainment nor will you be slaving for kids and spouse and parents. Get a hobby for yourself. Do something for you that you find passion about. Make a bucket list and start fulfilling it.

2 hours ago, Missy4391 said:

I don’t like photos of myself but I think I’ll take your advice and do the before and after photos, as well as the measurements. Thanks for telling me about the supplements, I’m glad I know it’s a waste of money. It was on my list of things to buy but I’ll take it off now lol. Also I’m a big reader and will most definitely be getting those books. Any other advice you think would be good?

Oh…I had hubby taking my ‘before journey’ pictures last week and I hated them so much. I don’t know about anyone else but I never really look at myself from the neck down in any mirrors at home. I know I’m fat, I just don’t need the constant reminders! I don’t try things on in a shop, just order online and hope for the best (does it fit? Yep, that will do) This time I actually looked at the photos and oh boy, it was awful. BUT I just have to keep reminding myself that I will NEVER get that big again. Hubby will take more photos if my weight decreases before the surgery, just so I have something to look back on and compare. We have to keep finding the positives!

7 hours ago, Missy4391 said:

Any other advice you think would be good?

The one Protein Shake flavor I've personally been able to tolerate beyond the first few days post-op is orange. I know a lot of folks like chocolate or vanilla, but I found the orange (specifically I bought Synrtax nectar Naturals) reminded me enough of orange juice (or, more like TANG, actually) that I was willing to accept it as part of my Breakfast routine without getting too cranky. If I liked sweetened coffee, I would try adding chocolate Protein Shakes to my coffee, but I am not a sugary coffee drink person. For a while I added a scoop of unflavored Protein to hot tea with some Fairlife skim milk.

My other piece of advice is don't expect to be perfect. Just do your best today and try to do even better tomorrow.

@Missy4391 congratulations on the beginning of your journey :) I remember thinking that the waiting was one of the worst things, but trust me, it comes around quickly!

As others have said, taking before pictures & measurements is a good idea! And I would also advice getting your head into the right space where you don't rely on the scales. I think it is all too easy to get addicted to weighing yourself, especially in the first 4/5 weeks after surgery when your body just needs that space to heal without the added strain of any stress you may feel if your weight fluctuates.

This forum was amazing for me to prepare for the surgery and also what to expect after, so I really do recommend reading as much as possible :)

One thing I wish I had done is trial some Vitamins to see if I liked the taste pre-surgery. I know people say that your tastebuds can change, which is true, but some of the vitamins are just unbearable 🤢I bought Bariease powder supplement and my god it was the worst thing. I now just take dissolvable orange A-Z vitamins and let the fizz die down and it is so much better!

@MrsFitz I think I may have already said this, but I am also in the UK so if you want to chat or have any UK specific questions please do let me know!

- I found a small digital kitchen scale was my best investment, it helped me get a better idea of portions and made it so much easier to track nutrition stats throughout the day.
- tracker apps are great! it took me a while to find one that worked for me personally, but there's a lot out there. I'd suggested testing a few free versions out ahead of time so you're ready before you get there.
- bariatric portion plates or just tiny dishes. I actually couldn't find a Portion Control plate that worked for me (in Canada), but I found a bunch of cute little appetizer dishes and tiny bowls that make me happy to eat from.
- if you don't have it, nab a blender or a handmixer when it's on sale. Makes the puree stage much easier, and also helps with smoothies and shakes in the liquid stage. Don't spend a lot of money on one though (unless you honestly feel you'll get a lot of use out of it after you're through those stage).

1 hour ago, JennyBeez said:

- I found a small digital kitchen scale was my best investment, it helped me get a better idea of portions and made it so much easier to track nutrition stats throughout the day.
- tracker apps are great! it took me a while to find one that worked for me personally, but there's a lot out there. I'd suggested testing a few free versions out ahead of time so you're ready before you get there.
- bariatric portion plates or just tiny dishes. I actually couldn't find a Portion Control plate that worked for me (in Canada), but I found a bunch of cute little appetizer dishes and tiny bowls that make me happy to eat from.
- if you don't have it, nab a blender or a handmixer when it's on sale. Makes the puree stage much easier, and also helps with smoothies and shakes in the liquid stage. Don't spend a lot of money on one though (unless you honestly feel you'll get a lot of use out of it after you're through those stage).

I had to order my plate from Amazon US because it was the only place that had the portions in the right proportion (1/2 Protein, 1/4 each veg and carbs) It arrived in the UK quickly though so that was 👍