Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Off to a slow start after surgery. Anyone else?

I know I shouldn't complain because I'm feeling great and hitting my Protein and Water goals every day since I got home from the hospital, even tolerating soft Proteins really well. If it weren't for the incisions and the lack of hunger, I'd almost forget I had anything done.

But man, I would check my scale for bad batteries if I hadn't just changed them. My preop diet was a very exciting time as I was dropping weight like crazy. 15 lbs in 14 days! I was 238.8 on February 7, and the day before I went to the hospital, February 20, I weighed in at 223.4.

I stayed off the scale after getting home because I knew I had IV fluids and all of that to flush out of my system. But I weighed myself today, 10 days post-op, and I'm down exactly 1 pound at 222.4. Color me underwhelmed.

I know it's probably just an early appearance of the "3 week stall." Logically, I understand all the reasons for it to happen. But it doesn't stop me from wanting to kick something, specifically, my scale. My body will never miss an opportunity to mess with my head.

Anybody else have a slower start after surgery than you were expecting? How long did it take to pick up the pace?

Yes!! I did. My surgery was on Feb 14, and I had lost 16 pounds in the pre-op stage. After surgery, I did weigh myself and I had gained 8 lbs! I am positive it was all Fluid. It took me a week to lose the Water weight, so then I was at the same weight as my pre-op weight and very discouraged.

I'm 16 days post op and have only lost 8lbs (plus the 8 of fluid). I reached out to my dietician and she said those with a lower starting weight (I was 240) will lose it slower. It's perfectly normal.

Since starting the pureed phase, I increased my calories to 600/day and I get about 90 grams of Protein. It's more steady at about 1lb every 2 days.

I hope that helps you, and thanks for sharing this. I thought I was the only one.

NickelChip - keep track of your measurements. That happened to me - my weight was so slow, but the first time I measured myself ,I lost 15 inches ! I'm glad you feel so great after surgery !

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, NickelChip said:

I know I shouldn't complain because I'm feeling great and hitting my Protein and Water goals every day since I got home from the hospital, even tolerating soft Proteins really well. If it weren't for the incisions and the lack of hunger, I'd almost forget I had anything done.

But man, I would check my scale for bad batteries if I hadn't just changed them. My preop diet was a very exciting time as I was dropping weight like crazy. 15 lbs in 14 days! I was 238.8 on February 7, and the day before I went to the hospital, February 20, I weighed in at 223.4.

I stayed off the scale after getting home because I knew I had IV fluids and all of that to flush out of my system. But I weighed myself today, 10 days post-op, and I'm down exactly 1 pound at 222.4. Color me underwhelmed.

I know it's probably just an early appearance of the "3 week stall." Logically, I understand all the reasons for it to happen. But it doesn't stop me from wanting to kick something, specifically, my scale. My body will never miss an opportunity to mess with my head.

Anybody else have a slower start after surgery than you were expecting? How long did it take to pick up the pace?

Yes! In fact, my entire weight loss since surgery has been slooooow. I don't recommend kicking the scale - it hurts 😋 I even talked to my bariatric "team" who just didn't seem concerned. It only added to my anger..to go through all this to lose 4" lbs a month 3 months in and still at 6 months! Where did my honeymoon period go?? Only 80 lbs since starting the pre surgery weight loss portion... 80 lbs in 9 months, that's less than 10 each month! 😠 So yeah, I understand your frustration.

I at this point wouldn't be to worried, you retain lots of fluids for several weeks following surgery, plus the standard response you'll read on here is the "your body is going through a lot and could be doing a self check reset reevaluating" at this point. I'd give it at least a month and as long as you're hitting nutritional goals and nothing feels off you'll be fine - (sigh) slow or not..its a downward trend. 😀

Edited by BlondePatriotInCDA
Typo addiction

3 hours ago, KathyLev said:

NickelChip - keep track of your measurements. That happened to me - my weight was so slow, but the first time I measured myself ,I lost 15 inches ! I'm glad you feel so great after surgery !

I checked my measurements this morning and I am down several inches from the day before surgery, so that definitely makes me feel better.

3 hours ago, Bryteeyes said:

I reached out to my dietician and she said those with a lower starting weight (I was 240) will lose it slower. It's perfectly normal.

Since starting the pureed phase, I increased my calories to 600/day and I get about 90 grams of Protein. It's more steady at about 1lb every 2 days.

That's good to know! I was shocked I lost so much in the pre-op phase. It took me 6 months to lose 15lbs from my highest weight this past summer, and then I lost the same amount in 2 weeks. So I imagine my body is reacting to that as well, like what the heck are you doing?!

I just got to start soft Proteins a few days ago (my doctor skips purees) and my calorie count is increasing as well. I seem to be able to get around 30g Protein from food, and I'm still supposed to have 3 Protein Shakes, so I'm ending up with 90+ grams of protein and 600-650 calories. Pre-op I was at 600-800 calories per day and 80-100 grams protein, so maybe that's more of a sweet spot. Hopefully this will give me a nudge in the right direction!

2 hours ago, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

Yes! In fact, my entire weight loss since surgery has been slooooow. I don't recommend kicking the scale - it hurts 😋 I even talked to my bariatric "team" who just didn't seem concerned. It only added to my anger..to go through all this to lose 4" lbs a month 3 months in and still at 6 months! Where did my honeymoon period go?? Only 80 lbs since starting the pre surgery weight loss portion... 80 lbs in 9 months, that's less than 10 each month! 😠 So yeah, I understand your frustration.

I at this point wouldn't be to worried, you retain lots of fluids for several weeks following surgery, plus the standard response you'll read on here is the "your body is going through a lot and could be doing a self check reset reevaluating" at this point. I'd give it at least a month and as long as you're hitting nutritional goals and nothing feels off you'll be fine - (sigh) slow or not..its a downward trend. 😀

It doesn't help that my brother had WLS several years ago and was losing so much weight in the beginning he almost didn't recognize himself in the mirror from day to day. Of course, he was male and like 32 at the time, plus he started at around 310 so he was going to lose faster anyway. Even though I told myself I would not have the same experience, part of me was clearly hoping to be wrong.

I totally sympathise. But honestly this sounds completely within normal limits. There's no way you're going to have this surgery, stick to your programme, and not lose a heap of weight. It's just that the loss isn't linear. There are times when you lose half a pound a day (early!) and times when you lose a quarter of a pound a week. And all manner of gains and plateaus and whatever in the middle of that. And you'll be eating much the same and exercising much the same so there's no rhyme or reason to it!

I hope you don't get hung up on this - you've already proven that you are losing inches. I truly hope you get to where you want to be asap.

1 hour ago, NickelChip said:

It doesn't help that my brother had WLS several years ago and was losing so much weight in the beginning he almost didn't recognize himself in the mirror from day to day. Of course, he was male and like 32 at the time, plus he started at around 310 so he was going to lose faster anyway. Even though I told myself I would not have the same experience, part of me was clearly hoping to be wrong.

Yeah, men have it easier since muscle burns calories faster and they genetically have more muscle! I understand the "hoping" you'd be different and would lose like he did...its still early for you. Just stick to the program and it will come off! Good luck on your journey..soon enough you'll be looking in the mirror and seeing the new you and putting too loose clothing on soon enough!

I know it’s hard, it’s almost inbuilt, but try to avoid comparing yourself to others. Our weight loss experiences can be so different & comparing only leads to frustration, annoyance & sometimes depression. There will always be those who lose faster or those who lose more slowly than others. There isn’t a time frame in which you must lose your weight. You’ll get there in your time.

Weight loss is erratic. Better to watch the general trend not the daily fluctuations. If the general trend is downwards you’re golden. Yay!

As I always say: Celebrate every pound you lose.

P.S, @BlondePatriotInCDA - Ten pounds a month is still averaging about 2lbs a week which is generally accepted as a good rate of weight loss. And you’ve lost 80lbs! Worth being happy about.

1 hour ago, Arabesque said:

I know it’s hard, it’s almost inbuilt, but try to avoid comparing yourself to others. Our weight loss experiences can be so different & comparing only leads to frustration, annoyance & sometimes depression. There will always be those who lose faster or those who lose more slowly than others. There isn’t a time frame in which you must lose your weight. You’ll get there in your time.

Weight loss is erratic. Better to watch the general trend not the daily fluctuations. If the general trend is downwards you’re golden. Yay!

As I always say: Celebrate every pound you lose.

P.S, @BlondePatriotInCDA - Ten pounds a month is still averaging about 2lbs a week which is generally accepted as a good rate of weight loss. And you’ve lost 80lbs! Worth being happy about.

Don't take me wrong, I'll take any weight loss as good. That's what I was trying to convey as long as its going down its a win..am I happy I'm one of the slower losers, no, but its still a loss! Hence the "(sigh) slow or not..its a downward trend. 😀" Thanks Arabesque for the words of encouragement none the less! 😃

On 3/2/2024 at 9:36 AM, NickelChip said:

I was over 400 lbs on surgery day, and I am in a couple Facebook groups and there were plenty that were saying their first they were down an average of 15 or so lbs. All of these were different starting weights and such. I was underwhelmed as well. My first week I was down 4.1 lbs. In the two weeks pre-op I had lost over 17 lbs. It did start to speed up some in the following weeks. But it was something I struggled with because it has changed so much in my life. I hope all is well with you and you are getting closer to the loss you would like. Also, take pics and do your measurements. In my first month down I was down about 15 inches so that did help my mind.