Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What am I doing wrong 1 year post op?

I haven't lost any more weight. I've been going to the gym and even got a walking pad for Christmas that I use but it's just not coming off.

I lift weights at the gym 2 to 3 times a week an hour at a time and do at least 2 miles 2 times a week while I'm at home.

The last three weeks I cut my calories way down which sucks with how much I work out. For example I did an hour of intense weight lifting today and only consumed 1104 calories and 104 grams of Protein. On average I'm only consuming 1300 calories and getting between 70 to 100 grams of protein.

My food through the day consists of small meals or Protein Shakes from 6 am to 6 pm. Like a Protein Shake for breakfast, one after the gym on my lunch, some low cal Soup, Jerky, piece kf fruit, etc

For dinner (around 7 pm) I have a majority of my calories, usually baked chicken strips or shrimp, etc with a side and then bed at 10pm..

It's just not coming off. I get I could've tried harder through the last year but man this is just tough. I can't even say I've gone down in clothes sizes any more. I just don't know. I do have a one year post op appointment on Tuesday and I'm terrified and ashamed that I have virtually nothing to show for it.

What am I missing?

Edited by RaiderRhode

hiya! i remember you from a post about a year ago :)

I remember you were concerned about the number on the scale back then and were resolved to take measurements vs weighing since you are a body builder...did you end up keeping records?

you didn't mention in this post what your current weight is, but at 5'6" (assuming age 25 and weight of 266lbs) your current calorie intake is well below your BMR, even if you sat on your couch the entire day...which you aren't.

513683074_Screenshot2024-02-23at8_23_27AM.thumb.png.1c25a3fcdebbfbf778528d40aa826d2a.png

so if your calorie count is indeed accurate, its not an issue with your intake.

besides the number on the scale, how do you FEEL? joints better? sleep better? move better? less winded? off any meds? pull out the measuring tape and compare from your measurements last year...like a poster suggested a year ago, as a body builder, the tape will tell you the truth more than the scale will. have you taken pics of yourself this past year? can you see a diff?

i know its difficult, but really try not to go down any shame spirals, stress is not a friend of health and weight loss. ask your team for advice and guidance during your appt next week.

good luck! ❤️

I am almost one year out from VSG. I am down 100ish pounds and am hovering around 225. My goal is 170-180. I, too, am struggling with continued weight loss. I feel hungry all the time. It's probably a lot of head hunger, I've been told, but I am almost never satiated. Uughh. The guilt when I go over my daily calories kills me. 🙃 My one year appointment is coming up soon and I'm afraid I will weigh about the same as my previous appointment. You aren't alone. Just keep going. Maybe change up your diet a little bit. Maybe increase cals? In my case, I feel like my body is happy with my current weight, but I'm not, so its a struggle from here on out. Lol.

I am almost one year out from VSG. I am down 100ish pounds and am hovering around 225. My goal is 170-180. I, too, am struggling with continued weight loss. I feel hungry all the time. It's probably a lot of head hunger, I've been told, but I am almost never satiated. Uughh. The guilt when I go over my daily calories kills me. 🙃 My one year appointment is coming up soon and I'm afraid I will weigh about the same as my previous appointment. You aren't alone. Just keep going. Maybe change up your diet a little bit. Maybe increase cals? In my case, I feel like my body is happy with my current weight, but I'm not, so its a struggle from here on out. Lol.

So this could be your body’s set point. The weight your body is happiest at & will continue to gravitate to this weight despite your efforts to lose more. Remember if you reduce your calories & increase your activity to lose more weight, you will have to continue to eat fewer calories & be more active than you are now to maintain the lower weight. And this isn’t sustainable as you’re already experiencing & your body will fight you the whole time.

This becomes a head issue. You’ve lost about 100lbs. That’s an achievement. Plus you’ve built muscle which weighs more than fat too. Look back on how you were before there surgery - general health & status of your cop morbidities, mobility, ability to do the things you wanted to, self confidence, etc. What have you gained or regained with this weight loss.

Don’t fear your appointment. Take in your tracked food intake (there could be something you’re missing) & your activity. Ask what else you can do. Ask if this is it for you? Ask what else you can do. Maybe raise whether the GLP-1medications would be of benefit.

Do you see a dietician? Because of your intense weight training, you may need to be consuming more & by reducing your calories you have put your body into starvation mode.

Even with all this, don’t give up yet. Many of us continued to lose well into our second year albeit very slowly like grams not kilograms a week or month (ounces not pounds).

All the best.