Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

43 minutes ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

In case you're wondering if it's worth the struggle..... My before and after pics, so far....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

428250281_5-230.jpg.e1d004cc410ea0cbedcd1f07bfc1ef38.jpg

Wow! You look amazing. I can't imagine how much better you feel within yourself, confidence-wise, mentally and physically. This is defo something to look forward to. Never been thin, or even just a little chubby, so this is going to be so important. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Kirsten, Big hugs. We all think the pre op diet is the toughest part of the whole process. It will get easier. Once you are past 5 days the hunger just evaporates. You have it tough but just tell yourself it will be worth it. No lie it is. Your life will change.

I had to do 3 weeks and oh boy did I want to take revenge on the surgeon. There were times that I hated him. I paid and I still had to go through this, how could he ! The only thing that kept me in line was the threat of waking up after surgery to find they could not do it. I had no shakes but had milk instead. I could also have non carb veg. My daily calories would be the same as you. I lost 15 pounds.

You can try making lollies with the sugar free squash. It gives you a different mouth feel. Some people on here have successfully frozen their shakes, so they are like ice cream. Try the sugar free jellies if you need a safe cheat

Ring your team if you struggle after a week. They might let you eat something else.

20 minutes ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

Write down your current health issues, struggles, anything that your weight is causing you trouble with. Then write down as each thing gets a little better during the diet. Also, definitely weigh yourself once a week and look at your entire body to remind yourself where you started, see where you're at, and envision where you want to be. Try to move your body more. I know at your current weight, it can be hard. Try to do some floor and chair exercises. Maybe ride an exercise bike. Do Water exercises. Anything at all, more than you normally do, will help you so, so much. But don't try to do anything taxing since you're so low calorie. You should be able to have broth, right? I loved vegetable, chicken, and beef. Jello is also allowed on an all liquid diet. Try some of that and see if it helps. Also maybe cut some of the sweetness out of the shakes by adding a little unflavored shake mix to it. Can you add any fruit to the shakes? I noticed that if I made a shake and added frozen strawberries and blueberries (or raspberries and blackberries, depending on what I wanted) it actually cut the artificial sweet taste way down. I hope some of this helps!!

Will do, thank you! I'll start it today.

I can't have anything else in my diet. Just my three shakes (to which I add skimmed milk). Everything else adds calories and they said it's a complete Meal Replacement shake diet only, so unfortunately I can't have anything else 😞

Do you think things would still be okay if I ate maybe broth and Soup but went on just shakes for the last two weeks? I just don't know.

27 minutes ago, summerseeker said:

Hi Kirsten, Big hugs. We all think the pre op diet is the toughest part of the whole process. It will get easier. Once you are past 5 days the hunger just evaporates. You have it tough but just tell yourself it will be worth it. No lie it is. Your life will change.

I had to do 3 weeks and oh boy did I want to take revenge on the surgeon. There were times that I hated him. I paid and I still had to go through this, how could he ! The only thing that kept me in line was the threat of waking up after surgery to find they could not do it. I had no shakes but had milk instead. I could also have non carb veg. My daily calories would be the same as you. I lost 15 pounds.

You can try making lollies with the sugar free squash. It gives you a different mouth feel. Some people on here have successfully frozen their shakes, so they are like ice cream. Try the sugar free jellies if you need a safe cheat

Ring your team if you struggle after a week. They might let you eat something else.

Hi Summer! Thank you for the hugs, I really appreciate it. Thank you for the reassurance, I will obviously keep trying my best, and know that it will end in 25 days.

Thank you for sharing your experience, I think you're right. It feels a bit resentful towards the people around you. I hate that most people don't go through this. I hate that my partner can eat what he wants and gain nothing. I hate the fact I have to do this for 4 weeks. But it will help in the long run of course. It's crazy that you lost 15 pounds from the diet though!

Those are some fantastic tips, thank you so much! Do you just have the sugar-free jellies when you just need a cheeky pick me up?

I will see how I get on this week and then contact them for advice if I'm really struggling still. Thank you 🙂

The purpose of this diet is to shrink your liver. The liver is in the path of surgery. Following the diet will use
up the glycogen that is stored in your liver. Glycogen is the storage form of carbohydrates. Depleting your
liver’s glycogen stores shrinks the liver, which can decrease complications during and after surgery

That being said, 4 weeks of nothing but meal replacement shakes is a tough row to hoe. I agree with the broth suggestion. You may also want to ask your doctor if you can have non-starch veggies - at least for the first two weeks.

I had to do 2 weeks of a full liquid diet; it does get easier the closer you get to surgery - because you are ALMOST there! And as you get closer to the date and you are losing weight and your clothes are getting looser and you feel better, it is even more incentive.

Hang in there!

Apparently they called the first week of the pre surgery shake diet hell week at my surgeon’s office. There’s a lot of withdrawal symptoms associated with it (sugar, carbs, caffeine). Your cravings go crazy - you always want more the things you can’t have. Your emotions are all over the place which often makes you want to comfort yourself with food. On & on. Round & round.

I was vey relieved I was placed on Keto for the pre surgery diet. I had done the shake diet before. Two shakes & one small portion meal of steamed vegetables & plain cooked Protein. Did it for 8 weeks & then again for 6 weeks a couple of years later as another diet I was trying. It ain’t easy even with one meal.

Check with your dietician regarding swapping out a shake for a broth/soup. Some companies do offer them as well as shakes but they’re still going to be low calorie & go through you quickly being liquids.

You’ve got this. You can do it.

I just wanted to pop by and say hello, as I am also from the UK! I am pre-op, due to have my surgery on 14/05/24, and I am so nervous about the LRD.

If you need someone to talk to, or vent to, I am always here! :)

19 hours ago, xKirstenx said:

Do you just have the sugar-free jellies when you just need a cheeky pick me up?

Yes, It is a cheat and off plan but they do not have much in them 10 cals I think. Asda have children's rocket lollies that have very few cals in. I still have them every day. If they would ok a raw carrot or celery just so you can chomp on something, would make things better.

Be strong, We are all here for you whenever you need us. Its that kind of forum x

Just wanted to say I'm starting Day 13 of my 2 week preop liquid diet and it's not so bad at this point. I mean, I wouldn't recommend it to friends, but my energy levels are good and the hunger isn't terrible. The first few days I was tired and cold all the time, but it is winter and I live near Boston, so cold comes with the territory. 4 weeks would be hard, but you can do it!

I suggest getting any source of temptation out of sight, and keep yourself busy. Also, if you're like me, you will start thinking of the most random food-related things, like a food you like or a restaurant you went to one time 10 years ago, just totally out of the blue. Avoid cooking shows. I stupidly was halfway through an episode of Great British Baking Show before I realized what I was doing! OMG, why am I watching someone cook a tart right now?!?

If you're allowed it, get the chicken Soup flavored shakes (I know Bariatric Fusion, Unjury, and Celebrate have versions, if those brands are available to you). That has been such a life saver as I'm really tired of everything being sweet. sugar free Jello is lovely and only 5 calories, so it should be fine for you to have. It's almost like chewing, sort of.

Good luck!

19 hours ago, CelticSoul said:

The purpose of this diet is to shrink your liver. The liver is in the path of surgery. Following the diet will use
up the glycogen that is stored in your liver. Glycogen is the storage form of carbohydrates. Depleting your
liver’s glycogen stores shrinks the liver, which can decrease complications during and after surgery

That being said, 4 weeks of nothing but Meal Replacement shakes is a tough row to hoe. I agree with the broth suggestion. You may also want to ask your doctor if you can have non-starch veggies - at least for the first two weeks.

I had to do 2 weeks of a full liquid diet; it does get easier the closer you get to surgery - because you are ALMOST there! And as you get closer to the date and you are losing weight and your clothes are getting looser and you feel better, it is even more incentive.

Hang in there!

Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate it. I think both of your suggestions are worth taking into consideration and I've decided that if I'm still feeling this bad by the upcoming Friday then I will contact my clinic and ask for recommendations.
I think once I see the first week's weight loss that will also give me a boost! I need something to make it feel like it's worth it and I'm sure that will help. Also, I'm just trying to stay positive in general, writing things down and talking to my partner about things to look forward to.

Thanks! 🙂

2 hours ago, summerseeker said:

Yes, It is a cheat and off plan but they do not have much in them 10 cals I think. Asda have children's rocket lollies that have very few cals in. I still have them every day. If they would ok a raw carrot or celery just so you can chomp on something, would make things better.

Be strong, We are all here for you whenever you need us. Its that kind of forum x

I'll have a look around and see what I can find. Just for when I need that little something. Thank you for your help, means a lot 🙂 x

1 hour ago, NickelChip said:

Just wanted to say I'm starting Day 13 of my 2 week preop liquid diet and it's not so bad at this point. I mean, I wouldn't recommend it to friends, but my energy levels are good and the hunger isn't terrible. The first few days I was tired and cold all the time, but it is winter and I live near Boston, so cold comes with the territory. 4 weeks would be hard, but you can do it!

I suggest getting any source of temptation out of sight, and keep yourself busy. Also, if you're like me, you will start thinking of the most random food-related things, like a food you like or a restaurant you went to one time 10 years ago, just totally out of the blue. Avoid cooking shows. I stupidly was halfway through an episode of Great British Baking Show before I realized what I was doing! OMG, why am I watching someone cook a tart right now?!?

If you're allowed it, get the chicken Soup flavored shakes (I know Bariatric Fusion, Unjury, and Celebrate have versions, if those brands are available to you). That has been such a life saver as I'm really tired of everything being sweet. sugar free Jello is lovely and only 5 calories, so it should be fine for you to have. It's almost like chewing, sort of.

Good luck!

Thank you for sharing your experience, it really helps seeing that other people are being honest but still fighting through the preop diet!

Yes, my partner eats away from me, we don't discuss food other than me venting about my diet, and I have nothing in my PC room other than shakes and glasses of squash etc. It's helping a lot more but still sucks being able to smell the food in the house or on my partners clothes. Sounds silly I know! Hahaha! That's so interesting how you sat and watched most of it before realising! The things we do eh? I am avoiding all food/drink related media too, scrolling as soon as I see something or switching channels etc.

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions, I'll look into them and see what I can do. Thank you! x

I had a two week liquid only diet, that included sugar free popsicles, Jello, milk for my Decaf coffee, and Protein Shakes. It was brutal for days 1-4, then it got easier and I felt better. I did get resentful, I even posted about my liver better be freaking delicate by surgery day. Apparently it was bikini ready so that helps. I'm now almost 7 weeks post op and I can say that that time was harder than it is now. At that time, I knew my stomach could hold a lot of food, I just wasn't allowed to eat it. Now I know my stomach can't hold a lot and I'm good with that. My meals now are satisfying and I'm able to eat a few different things at one meal which makes it much more interesting.

When it got bad I let myself feel crappy about it for a few minutes, then used some breathing exercises to calm and slow, and just found something else to do. This time will pass, maybe make a counter that lists the days in liquid diet vs the days to surgery, somehow that made it go better for me.

I wish you all the best, this is hard but worth it.

I think 4 weeks of liquid shakes only is a bit excessive. I was told by my surgeon that I could only drink 3 shakes a day for 2 weeks, but when I did my research on liver shrinkage, what I found was that the goal was deplete carbs. And you can do that with things other than Protein Shakes. Like actual Protein.

So I asked my surgeon why I couldn't just eat chicken breast and eggs all day, every day. He explained that it wouldn't be nutritionally balanced enough, plus after the surgery, my stomach wouldn't be able to handle solid foods for weeks so it was good "practice". I took all of that under consideration, as well as discussions I read about other people's pre-op diets, and went a bit rogue.

I would choke down 2 shakes a day (instead of 3), then eat chicken + non-starchy veggies for dinner. I also drank low-sodium broths frequently because I REALLY don't like sweet things. During the last ~5 days of the diet, I switched to recommended 3 shakes per day to get in that "practice" the surgeon talked about. That slower transition was so much easier for me than going cold turkey. I'm 2 months post-op now and down 42 lbs so I guess it's working.

Not saying you should rebel like I did, but you should at least ask your surgeon to explain his reasoning and maybe bring up some of the above points. See how he reacts.

On 2/18/2024 at 5:22 AM, xKirstenx said:

Hi everyone!

I have my surgery date scheduled for the 16th of March 2024. Due to a high BMI of 61 I have to do 4 weeks of the liver shrinkage diet. I started on Friday the 16th and I'm really struggling. I'm on total Meal Replacement shakes x 3 daily with just sugar free squash and Water to drink alongside these. My total intake per day is 800 calories or less.

How did you guys do it? I know I HAVE to do it, but it's so hard. I cry daily because I'm hungry and I want food. My stomach constantly growls, my stomach hurts and the shakes never feel like they satisfy any of that hunger. My partner is so supportive, he eats away from me and hides food so I don't feel any further distress and jealousy. I know why I'm doing this but I don't know how I'm expected to do this for a whole 4 weeks.

Any advice or support is welcome. If anyone is doing the same atm for their March surgery please let me know, maybe we can buddy up!

Thank you all ❤️

xKirstenx

Wow four weeks! I thought the three I did sucked, I feel for you. Just keep telling yourself one more hour, one more day towards getting the healthy thinner body you want, need and deserve! My husband did the same thing for me..lol still does. Just remember you CAN do this, its just a small blip on your new journey and the results will be worth it.

I added no sodium clear broth packets to my fatty liver reduction diet which helped, it was "hot soup" with flavor and 5 calories and was helping with Water intake. Could have as much as I wanted and it wasn't plain water or another Protein drink!

https://www.amazon.com/Hormel-Chicken-Bouillon-Sodium-Packets/dp/B0077DMWO0/ref=sr_1_5_pp?crid=2OTVXLTYW0OD9&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.lQfKYERXvAhUropfp5TcloiXDN09ZoegzxDIPbqvPsdG2SFel1Y2bZSDa-edU5IODMVLcTFZN7J_gN1J76UWRJ5alR_86je9RVJ7FT5B8fLCIu-Gu7R1P9CR4QwfZLXQSmYDC2T6w1YEIitQSLjlj6dtcWr9e9jsWqXzvU0vEStk6z7EO14TcHw9L8V52hbuymxrnf7R0fRn-6u0Hfi7Zg6T2nbJ6hPrQT4cjccBJc3kbDGnNXGQ3wuSN1klYubiT2jVe3qUR5qmQ2XYpBGvIOL9iJQXcem-L96snZm7jSE._KgKbU2PA1ogwJ3vncdpxEFEDsXdAL0MfVmhXtWkCx8&dib_tag=se&keywords=kosher+chicken+bouillon&qid=1708370322&sprefix=Kosher+chicken+%2Caps%2C260&sr=8-5

image.thumb.png.112b373ccc19fa98270ed1b7975366bf.png

Edited by BlondePatriotInCDA