Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beet Root Powder/ nitric oxide question...

Does anyone have any experience with taking beet root? If so:

1. When after surgery (RNY) can/did you start taking it?

2. Results you've seen/experienced: good and bad.

3. Did you start at maximum dose, or work your way up?

4. powder, pills or juice..or?

5. Did you take it before or start after your surgery?

I'm looking for decrease in BP, increased energy and more O2 to the brain..you?

Thanks in advance for your response!

Edited by BlondePatriotInCDA
Typo

As you lose weight your blood pressure will lower. Your energy levels will increase too. You’ll become more active & improve your cardiac health & therefore O2 levels. Your hormones are modified as a result of the surgery too. So … ?

All I know is there is a lot of talk about benefits but no real scientific evidence. My s-in-l’s uncle drank it every day for 18 months because it was supposed to cure his cancer & improve his health. It didn’t & it didn’t extend his life either.

I’d just eat beetroots. The root cooked or raw, pickled, roasted, grated in salads, etc. Leaves in salads. You’ll pee & maybe poop red if you eat enough but … Natural is always best vs processed into a powder or other supplement. And a lot of its goodness is in the pulp which is disposed of after juicing & not in the juice.

But your choice of course.

10 hours ago, Arabesque said:

You’ll pee & maybe poop red if you eat enough but …

Several years ago, I subscribed to a weekly produce box from a local farm. I was from a strictly frozen and canned veg family growing up, so this was the first time I really tried cooking and eating beets in any quantity. And they included a generous bunch of them along with recipes. I made myself a big beet salad, feeling so proud, and then forgot all about it, going about my daily routine. A few hours later, I had the scare of my life for about 5 seconds in the bathroom before realizing I was probably not suddenly dying of massive internal bleeding and that maybe beets were the culprit. Worth the fright. Beet salads are delicious, and I love to saute the greens with a little onion.

In response to the original question, I would mention it to your doctor if you plan to take it in powder or pill form as a regular supplement, just so they're aware. But adding beets to your diet in their natural form seems like a great idea for overall health.

15 hours ago, Arabesque said:

As you lose weight your blood pressure will lower. Your energy levels will increase too. You’ll become more active & improve your cardiac health & therefore O2 levels. Your hormones are modified as a result of the surgery too. So … ?

All I know is there is a lot of talk about benefits but no real scientific evidence. My s-in-l’s uncle drank it every day for 18 months because it was supposed to cure his cancer & improve his health. It didn’t & it didn’t extend his life either.

I’d just eat beetroots. The root cooked or raw, pickled, roasted, grated in salads, etc. Leaves in salads. You’ll pee & maybe poop red if you eat enough but … Natural is always best vs processed into a powder or other supplement. And a lot of its goodness is in the pulp which is disposed of after juicing & not in the juice.

But your choice of course.

I really appreciate the response! I was asking because my blood pressure hasn't lowered and my pre-diabetes has gotten worse since losing weight. Also, I'm looking to increase brain/blood O2 saturation levels. I've done my research on beet roots (only scientific research papers/studies) and they've found significant improvements in some of the reasons I'm looking at adding it to my Vitamin regimen.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4425174/ (from the library of medicine) one of numerous I've read.

I'm sorry about you son in laws uncle, I haven't seen any conclusive research studies on beet roots curing cancer. I was thinking the powder, only pure non GMO no additives only dehydrated then powdered put into my Water would be a good option because we have to drink water anyways. Plus, with stomach size and my need for more Proteins with very very low carbs (no fruit etc) due to my hypersensitivity to carbs (why they're looking at pre-diabetes hypersensitivity) it would be a good option for me.

I'll take your advise and just wait for my 6 month check up next month and ask them. I just thought I'd put it out here on the forums to ask those who've actually taken it for their input!

Thanks!

Edited by BlondePatriotInCDA
Typo's

I haven't read the research but in general terms if a food has proven health benefits then it might be better to just eat the whole food rather than add a powdered derivative to Water, or to take pills with bits of it contained, or to drink the juice. Totally understand we're volume restricted after surgery but I hope you can get back to whole beetroot really soon!

I took it before surgery. A powdered form mixed in Water. I didn't care for it which is funny because I LOVE beets, especially pickled or juiced with parsley and such. I worked my way up in dose. I tried to stick with it though since I bought the whole jar, might as well use it. It didn't help my blood pressure or my diabetes any unfortunately.

It gave me a bit of energy, but honestly, having the DS surgery has given me FAR more energy in 2 months than anything I ever tried for the chronic fatigue. Plus I have been off my diabetes meds and blood pressure meds since surgery, all my numbers are perfect now thanks to that intestinal rewiring. 😂

13 hours ago, ChunkCat said:

I took it before surgery. A powdered form mixed in Water. I didn't care for it which is funny because I LOVE beets, especially pickled or juiced with parsley and such. I worked my way up in dose. I tried to stick with it though since I bought the whole jar, might as well use it. It didn't help my blood pressure or my diabetes any unfortunately.

It gave me a bit of energy, but honestly, having the DS surgery has given me FAR more energy in 2 months than anything I ever tried for the chronic fatigue. Plus I have been off my diabetes meds and blood pressure meds since surgery, all my numbers are perfect now thanks to that intestinal rewiring. 😂

Thank you, this is what I was looking for...experience with it vs. outcome! Thank you everyone for your responses.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Depressed lately...
      Losing very slowly because I'm not doing anything I'm supposed to be doing. No motivation to eat properly or go to gym. Scared....
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • stanley_imarc

IMARC Group’s report titled “Alternative Sweeteners Market Report by Product Type (High Fructose Syrup, High-Intensity Sweeteners, Low-Intensity Sweeteners), Source (Natural, Synthetic), Application (Food, Beverages, and Others), and Region 2024-2032”. The global alternative sweeteners market size reached US$ 4.9 Billion in 2023. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 7.0 Billion by 2032, exhibiting a growth rate (CAGR) of 4.05% during 2024-2032.
      Grab a sample PDF of this report: https://www.imarcgroup.com/alternative-sweeteners-market/requestsample
      Factors Affecting the Growth of the Alternative Sweeteners Industry:
      Health Consciousness: The increasing awareness among individuals about the health issues linked to high sugar consumption, such as obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases, is supporting the market growth. Consumers are becoming more health-conscious and seeking products that can provide sweetness without the negative health effects associated with sugar. This shift in consumer preferences is leading to a greater demand for low-calorie and natural sweeteners like stevia, monk fruit, and erythritol. These sweeteners offer the added benefit of having minimal impact on blood glucose levels, making them suitable for diabetic and health-conscious individuals.
      Technological Advancements: Innovations in the production and formulation of alternative sweeteners are impelling the market growth. Advancements in biotechnology and food science are leading to the development of high-intensity sweeteners with improved taste profiles and functional properties. Innovations in fermentation processes enhance the production efficiency and quality of natural sweeteners like stevia and monk fruit. These technological improvements are making alternative sweeteners more appealing to both manufacturers and consumers. Enhanced stability, solubility, and sweetness intensity allow these sweeteners to be used in a wide range of products, ranging from beverages to baked goods.
      Consumer Trends and Preferences: Evolving consumer trends and preferences are playing a significant role in driving the alternative sweeteners market. The growing demand for clean-label products, which are healthier and free from artificial ingredients, is offering a favorable market outlook. Consumers are increasingly seeking natural and plant-based sweeteners, aligning with broader trends toward plant-based diets and veganism. Besides this, there is an increase in the demand for low-calorie and sugar-free alternatives that support weight management and overall wellness. Food and beverage companies are responding to these trends by innovating and expanding their product lines to include options sweetened with alternative sweeteners, thereby catering to changing tastes and health concerns of modern consumers.
      Alternative Sweeteners Market Report Segmentation:
      By Product Type:
      High Fructose Syrup High-Intensity Sweeteners Low-Intensity Sweeteners High-intensity sweeteners represent the largest segment as they require only a fraction of the quantity to achieve the desired sweetness.
      By Source:
      Natural Synthetic On the basis of the source, the market has been bifurcated into natural and synthetic.
      By Application:
      Food Beverages Others Food accounts for the largest market share due to the rising utilization of sweeteners in a wide variety of food products.  
      Regional Insights:
      North America (United States, Canada) Asia Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Others) Europe (Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, Others) Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, Others) Middle East and Africa Asia Pacific region enjoys a leading position in the alternative sweeteners market on account of changing lifestyles of individuals.    
      Global Alternative Sweeteners Market Trends:
      Governing agencies and health organizations of several countries are implementing policies to reduce sugar consumption as they recognize its detrimental health impacts. Various regulatory bodies are approving alternative sweeteners for use, ensuring their safety and efficacy. These approvals provide food and beverage manufacturers with the confidence to incorporate alternative sweeteners into their products. Additionally, initiatives like sugar taxes in several countries are pushing companies to seek healthier alternatives to traditional sugar.   
      Furthermore, advancements in production techniques are making some alternative sweeteners more cost-competitive than traditional sugar. Consumers are becoming more concerned about the environmental impact of traditional sugar production and preferring more sustainable alternative sweeteners.
      Note: If you need specific information that is not currently within the scope of the report, we will provide it to you as a part of the customization.
      About Us
      IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
      IMARC Group’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
      Contact US
      IMARC Group
      134 N 4th St. Brooklyn, NY 11249, USA
      Email: sales@imarcgroup.com
      Tel No:(D) +91 120 433 0800
      United States: +1–631–791–1145 | United Kingdom: +44–753–713–2163

· 0 replies
    • Luis E. Lara

Hi everyone, I'm nerw here ☺️
      · 1 reply
      1. Alisa_S

Welcome!

I've been a member since 2008, but just now decided to go ahead with surgery. Barely getting started 😁

• Liz R

Trying to update my ticker - I'm down 100 pounds!! 
      · 1 reply
      1. Alisa_S

I don't know how to update the ticker, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• Alisa_S

I joined BariatricPal in 2008 & I FINALLY made the descision to have WLS!! I'm so excited & not sure what I need to do to get the ball rolling, but I made an appointment with my PCP for 7/19. It's a start I guess.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches