Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 week stall - Just a rant from a newbie

Newbie here, first post! That said I have done my fair share of reading and creeping and have come to understand the 3 week stall is pretty common. That said...

Tomorrow marks the 4th week post op and this entire week has had 0 loss. I have now lost 13 pounds post op bringing me to 17.4 in the last 30 days, and I feel like the surgery and the recovery was it worth 13 pounds? I feel stuck, I feel discouraged living like this during the holidays and not able to eat all the treats and food around.

Now with the rant done, I am looking for a good puree to soft solids daily menu with food ratios that anyone can point me too? I am good at following a plan but suck at just making something up in a pinch, I have been planning but you know how it goes, sometimes you just don't feel like the things you made previously.

I guess I just needed to vent, and in a space where others maybe have dealt with this themselves..

Here to give you hugs and a shoulder. I have dealt with the 3 week stall and I’m just here to say, before you know it it’ll be over.

Think about when was it the last time you even lost 13lbs in a month? Even in my best place with diet and exercise I can say that was a stretch. But also, this really isn’t a sprint, it’s a marathon. We are in it for the long haul though our brains feel like this “tool” is an instant fix.

It is probably harder around the holidays and I truly can’t say I’ve had to experience that end so early on, but just remember that the holidays are about so many other things. Hold on to the experiences outside of food. Remember that the food is truly not going anywhere and think of how you feel (and look) this time next year. Reach back to your whys. The greater reasons why we did this to begin with.

I can’t help too much with full on menus, but one thing that helped a lot with puréed to soft was the ricotta bake. It felt like pizza/lasagna after I was sick of all the sweeter liquids and broths.

It feels eternal now, but it will be such a small blip of time before you know it. Much love and wishing you a happy holiday and strength.

Puree can be tough. For some it’s a textural issue for others like me it’s a taste thing (everything tastes disgusting). You can puree a lot of things just add enough stock, milk, Water, mayo, gravy, etc. to keep it the right dollopy texture/consistency. A friend told me she survived on pureed chicken with gravy. I mashed eggs with Mayo, was allowed thin instant oats, thin scrambled eggs, yoghurt, Soups, etc. I tried pureeing tinned fish but blah!

During soft foods I ate a lot of minced meat based dishes. Just made sure there was enough sauce/gravy to keep the meal wet. Also soft white fish, omelettes & made a couple of casseroles/stews & meat & vegetable soups.

Yep, stalls can be frustrating & demoralising but remember an important step in your weight loss (when your body takes stock of your new needs & adjusts digestive hormones, metabolic rate, etc.). 17.5lbs in about 4 weeks is still pretty darn great. Even with the stall that’s an average of more than 4lbs a week. Can’t be upset with that.

I am currently on the pureed stage and it has been a struggle... I am living on yogurt, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, Soups, Protein lemonade, protein pudding and Protein Shakes. it has been hard but I am understanding the process. I did try to cheat the process and have something I thought I could handle and well.. that did not end well...

There is light at the end of the tunnel, a more food will become available to you.. I am finding the first 2 months are the hardest but you will soon find your groove and foods..

Also 13lbs is amazing.. your body has gone through to much in such a short amount of time.. give yourself grace and get excited about every little thing your body does.. Also I am sure that you are losing inches along with pounds.

Thank you all, you're all so kind!! I am coming to find that this journey is nice to have someone to relate to! I have been lucky and my best friend had his about a month prior to mine. Having him to compare and contrast and just vent to has been so crucial.

I just guess I had more steam to blow off, and thankful its brought me encouragement from kind people. Thank you!!!💛