Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 months post op will I get to goal ?

Start weight 92kg
Current weight 70.7kg
Goal weight 58kg

Hi all I’m 7 months post gastric sleeve op and wondering if my weightloss is slow ? My height is 5.4” my nutritionist is happy with my weightloss but losing 1lb per week is making me feel like I’m failing . Anyone else a slow loser like me ? I’m scared I won’t get to my goal weight . I have no regrets with the Surgury and not had any dumping ever . I’m also able to eat all foods . My only fear is not reaching goal as this was my last hope on getting slim 😢. Thank you for reading my post x

not everyone makes it to goal, although you still have a shot at it. I didn't stop losing until I was 20 months out - and I was definitely a slow loser!

how close are you to goal? the last 20 lbs or so can be a BEAR to lose. There were some months that I only lost a lb or two the entire month, despite following my program to a "T". (this was during year 2 for me - before that, I was losing It faster than that. But I started out at well over 300 lbs (I don't know how overweight you were, but people with higher starting BMIs tend to lose faster - at least at first)).

On 12/16/2023 at 22:48, catwoman7 said:

not everyone makes it to goal, although you still have a shot at it. I didn't stop losing until I was 20 months out - and I was definitely a slow loser!

how close are you to goal? the last 20 lbs or so can be a BEAR to lose. There were some months that I only lost a lb or two the entire month, despite following my program to a "T". (this was during year 2 for me - before that, I was losing It faster than that. But I started out at well over 300 lbs (I don't know how overweight you were, but people with higher starting BMIs tend to lose faster - at least at first)).

I would like to lose 12 more kg to get to goal . I was 92kg to start so my bmi was 34.8 which is classed as obese

1 minute ago, fifi0523 said:

I would like to lose 12 more kg to get to goal . I was 92kg to start so my bmi was 34.8 which is classed as obese

in this case, your rate of about a lb a week sounds pretty normal. I was a 60 BMI - so super morbidly obese. You're starting to get close to a normal BMI, so that explains why your loss has slowed down. Just keep at it - you may still lose more weight. Like I said, there were months after the first year post-op that I was only losing a lb or two a MONTH.

We all lose at our own rate. There isn’t a date by which you must lose your weight. I always felt if my dietician & surgeon were happy I should be happy too. As @catwoman7 said the last 20lbs (about 10kg) can be the hardest & take the longest to lose. While I reached my goal at about 6 months I kept losing for another 11 months & lost another 11kgs (which was the weight my body wanted me to be at - my new set point). The last months I was losing grams each week. So, yes not everyone reaches their goal, but it may not be over for you yet. You are still losing.

Remember a loss of 1-2lbs (0.5-1kg) a week is considered a healthy rate of loss. We just had a medically supervised kick start in the beginning.

Congrats on your weight loss so far.

People are losing excess weight at different speed, depending on many factors (tall, young guy or short, elderly woman?). It takes as long as it takes.

Oh - and absolutely don't believe that bull about "windows of opportunity"! Weight loss doesn't magically stop at the x-months-post-surgery mark just like this. As long as you're in a calorie deficit you're going to continue to lose weight.

On 12/17/2023 at 07:00, summerset said:

People are losing excess weight at different speed, depending on many factors (tall, young guy or short, elderly woman?). It takes as long as it takes.

Oh - and absolutely don't believe that bull about "windows of opportunity"! Weight loss doesn't magically stop at the x-months-post-surgery mark just like this. As long as you're in a calorie deficit you're going to continue to lose weight.

That was my worry , I was worried it may stop 1 year post op and I won’t reach goal . I would like to lose 12 more kg and I will be 1 year post op end of May

Fab. I lost most of my excess weight within the first year of my sleeve. Wasn't planning to lose much more in the second year but I did drop another stone. Sooooo slowly. Keep the faith OP, if you stick to your programme it will work and you will continue to lose weight.

On 12/17/2023 at 12:09 PM, fifi0523 said:

That was my worry , I was worried it may stop 1 year post op and I won’t reach goal . I would like to lose 12 more kg and I will be 1 year post op end of May

no, weight loss doesn't stop on x date. it stops when YOU stop.

it may take more effort as time goes on - because achieving calorie deficit is comparatively more challenging the smaller u get - but its not impossible.

good luck! ❤️

Posted (edited)

dupe

Edited by ms.sss

On 12/16/2023 at 11:36 PM, fifi0523 said:

Start weight 92kg
Current weight 70.7kg
Goal weight 58kg

Hi all I’m 7 months post gastric sleeve op and wondering if my weightloss is slow ? My height is 5.4” my nutritionist is happy with my weightloss but losing 1lb per week is making me feel like I’m failing . Anyone else a slow loser like me ? I’m scared I won’t get to my goal weight . I have no regrets with the Surgury and not had any dumping ever . I’m also able to eat all foods . My only fear is not reaching goal as this was my last hope on getting slim 😢. Thank you for reading my post x

Hi Fifi, from another Fifi :)

I now into my 7th month since sleeve surgery but I had a horrible experience afterwards and spent most of July to Nov in hospital with complications so I have no-one to compare myself against and finding it stressful.

I think we just have to remind ourselves that we lose what we need to and don't put pressure on yourself, you have already done great. If going by the BMI charts (which I don't believe in 100% as outdated and everyone is different) you are already almost out of the overweight category so well done. 70.7kg is already slim.

I am losing about 1kg a week. Started out at just over 120kg and now down to just under 87kg so still have some way to go to my target but I am already very happy with what I have lost but do hope to get down to within the 'normal' BMI category.