Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Exercising

I’m at 5 months post op & down 90lbs. But I’m finding it so hard to exercise or walk everyday or any day. I feel lazy or tired after a long day at work so I’m not doing anything!
Any ideas or suggestions that could help boost my weight loss and exercise?

Maybe buy some free hand weights to use at home. Strength training is supposed to help with weight loss since muscle burns more calories. You could do some basic arm, back , and chest exercises while relaxing in front of the tv at the end of the day. Much less tiring than cardio.

Are you eating well ? What is your daily average calories ? Are you getting your Protein quota and liquids in ? Are you taking your Vitamins ? Have you had any nutritional blood works done lately ? Sorry if this sounds intrusive but it does really matter if we are to give you a quality answer.

I am due my 3 monthly B12 shot and I really know its due because I feel incredibly worn out and old again. In 2 weeks I will be running around like the ever ready bunny on the battery advert.

Some good advice here.

What about setting your alarm an hour earlier and doing your workout then?

I had my stuff all laid out the night before, get up, dressed in workout clothes (helps my mindset) then workout.

I just do it, no time to talk myself out of it, just get up, get ready on autopilot, then do it.

Makes a giant difference in my energy for the day as well. More of a boost than coffee. Let me know if it gives you energy also.

4 hours ago, Viviana Mantilla said:

I’m at 5 months post op & down 90lbs. But I’m finding it so hard to exercise or walk everyday or any day. I feel lazy or tired after a long day at work so I’m not doing anything!
Any ideas or suggestions that could help boost my weight loss and exercise?

I would suggest contacting your doctor/surgeon and mentioning this issue. Never hurts to reach out to a professional. I'm 11 days post op. I still feel tired and weak.

Wishing you all the best.

2 hours ago, TheRealMeIsHere! said:

I had my stuff all laid out the night before, get up, dressed in workout clothes (helps my mindset) then workout.

I just do it, no time to talk myself out of it, just get up, get ready on autopilot, then do it.

I always did the same, for some reason it was easier when I started and wasn't quite awake yet, didn't even know what I was getting into🤣 And I did feel more energy or at least more steady energy for the rest of the day. That may have just been from reducing the pressure on myself to get it done, the rest of the day felt lighter.

You might try some of the walking videos on YouTube. They're only 15-20 minutes and you can do them in your living room. I also find wearing my Fitbit can be a motivation because it's a visual reminder of my goal. If you aren't doing any exercising right now, don't plan to suddenly do an hour a day at the gym. Add one thing that is small and feels easy to do and focus on that first. You can add something to it next month, and keep doing that little by little over time.

NickelChip that's a great point, any time I restart exercise I start with ten minutes at a time and slowly increase when I feel like I want to do more.

Try exercise snacking. Multiple short bursts of exercise throughout the day. Each burst adds to your total for the day. So say 3 x 10 min sessions = 30 mins of daily exercise. Much easier to slot in your busy day. This is what I do. Try to add things during your work day like going for a walk in the your lunch break, walk/jog up any stairs you have at work. Hand weights, resistance bands are handy things to use at home at night. Some stretches (yoga based) can help you relax after work too & are great for flexibility. I have a mat on my living room floor in front of the tv. Put on Great British Bake off & do a session of stretches & bands. I also like wall push ups. (I stand about 90cm - 3 feet - from the wall & do 60.)