Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Surgery Buddies!

Hi December buddies! I had my surgery on 12/14/23 and I’m down 53lbs so far. It takes courage to post a body pic but I’m excited that I’ve made such strides. This is me just finishing a 2 mile run! (Never ran before, in fact I hated running! Haha) I’m far from my goal but I’m so proud of how far I’ve come and how strong I’ve gotten! Praying you all are experiencing self love in every chapter of this journey and that we continue to grow in strength AND confidence! ❤️ p.s. please ignore my stupid faces lol. I’m new to selfies and I don’t know how to act haha!

image-0.00095367431640625.jpg

image0.0.jpg

image0.0.jpg

PROGRESS UPDATE

I had my gastric sleeve surgery on December 18th, 2023. I was nervous going into the procedure as I had never had any surgical procedures before, but it went relatively smooth. I was in a lot of pain while in recovery, to the point where the team had to push oxy and fentanyl simultaneously to help with the pain. Once the team was able to help me manage the pain I was in pretty good shape.

It has certainly been an adjustment but it wasn't as daunting as I was expecting it to be. Its been about 2.5 months since the surgery and I've lost almost 60 pounds; I weighed in on at the hospital at 366 and yesterday weighed in at 308. My highest weight was 475lbs so all-in-all I've lost 167lbs utilizing diet, exercise and the sleeve. I found it fairly easy to comply with the post-op diet and have moved on to solid foods. I'm not hungry often but I make sure to eat at mealtimes to continue meeting my goals. I consume, on average, between 80g and 100g of Protein a day and consume less than 900 calories a day. I don't consume very many carbs as a) they tend to contain more sugars and b) they tend to make me not feel very good. I do still have a bit of a sweet tooth but that has been easy to manage with the occasional chocolate chip. I've also completely kicked sugar and have switched to Monk Fruit sweetener with erythritol. I also dabble with Keto recipes, mainly deserts as I find that some "entree" recipes contain way too much fat for my liking.

My family, friends, and coworkers notice the weight loss more than I do. I'll see it a little bit here and there but not to the extent that others do. I still see myself as that 475lb guy that struggles with his weight and his health. I know that it isn't true, but that is still how I view myself. My clothes are fitting me much looser and I think I see some weight loss in my face and neck. I still have a lot of excess fat and tissue around my midsection and especially the "love handle" region. I definitely suffer from body dysmorphia as I only ever see the overweight me.

My overall goal weight is 250lbs, which is only 58 pounds away which sounds crazy. That said, I would throw a party if I reach 225lbs as that is my "best case scenario" goal. I genuinely believe I will achieve both goals but there's always that part of me that doubts it. This has been the best decision I've ever made for my health and I wish I had made this choice earlier.

I just found this website while surfing the internet to see if I was on target for where I should be. I had my surgery on 12/18. As of yesterday, I have lost 60 pounds, which is also halfway to my goal weight. I have no idea how much I should lose by this time. The strange thing is that nobody seems to notice! I have yet to receive a comment about my weight loss and I am literally around about 100 or so of the same people every day. I found recovery from the surgery very easy. I used none of the pain medications or digestion medicines I was prescribed. I have had no reflux or nausea. My biggest issue is struggling to get in enough fluids and nutrients each day. I am usually full by the time I finish my Protein, leaving no room for the veggies. Before this I ate few meat products. Now I feel like a carnivore! When will this change? Despite this I am barely meeting the protein goals. An odd thing I did not anticipate is that the health problems that should be getting better have all become considerably worse (sleep apnea, joint pain, allergies). I know this will change at some point, but it is frustrating in the meantime. The other odd thing I have noticed is that the fat is coming off in a completely different pattern than how it came on. At what point will the stubborn belly fat go away? Overall, I am super happy that I did this. I hope to get to my goal.

1 hour ago, im2bz said:

I just found this website while surfing the internet to see if I was on target for where I should be. I had my surgery on 12/18. As of yesterday, I have lost 60 pounds, which is also halfway to my goal weight. I have no idea how much I should lose by this time. The strange thing is that nobody seems to notice! I have yet to receive a comment about my weight loss and I am literally around about 100 or so of the same people every day. I found recovery from the surgery very easy. I used none of the pain medications or digestion medicines I was prescribed. I have had no reflux or nausea. My biggest issue is struggling to get in enough fluids and nutrients each day. I am usually full by the time I finish my Protein, leaving no room for the veggies. Before this I ate few meat products. Now I feel like a carnivore! When will this change? Despite this I am barely meeting the Protein goals. An odd thing I did not anticipate is that the health problems that should be getting better have all become considerably worse (sleep apnea, joint pain, allergies). I know this will change at some point, but it is frustrating in the meantime. The other odd thing I have noticed is that the fat is coming off in a completely different pattern than how it came on. At what point will the stubborn belly fat go away? Overall, I am super happy that I did this. I hope to get to my goal.

Yeah. I have some that haven’t noticed but you know what, I didn’t do this for them. At my weight (315) I still look fat to people. I however I’m down from 412 (43 since surgery and the rest preop). What they don’t see is I have to wear smaller clothes, can fit back into my bra, and I can move and sleep better.

I had my surgery about 10 days after you. I’m down 43 pounds over all. Sadly I am struggling to keep my losing on track. I tend to stall for a week or two and then drop like 5-7 pounds 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️.

60 pounds sounds like you’re right on track. the important thing is how you feel now. As far as how the weight comes off it varies person by person. It depends on if you work out or walk a lot. So however you “burn fat” will affect where you lose faster.

Posted (edited)

I had surgery on 12/4/23 and I’m currently down 58 lbs. I’ve hit a few stalls and it seems like I’m not losing much at all anymore BUT it’s the non scale victories for me honestly. Like clothes fitting loosely. Joints feeling wonderful. Energy levels finally returning. Stairs being easy!! Confidence levels rising!! I’m feeling happy and healthy. Honestly choosing to enjoy this whole journey to better myself and my habits has been the biggest key. You have to change your mindset.

I think the stubborn belly fat is the last to go for most all of us. I got a facia roller… I use it about every other day on my stomach, thighs, and batwings lol and I think it helps break up the tissue and my skin is appearing smoother.

As far as others not noticing… it sucks but sometimes when you see someone daily you don’t notice changes. It takes time away that creates the shock. Don’t let that deter you or make you feel like this whole process has been worthless. You’re doing this for you! No one else!

Also, my doctor seems to be the only one that would prefer me to fast and only eat once a day. He says to focus mainly on Protein, but never gave me a daily goal. I eat what fills me and then I put whatever’s left away. Feeling the need to always finish my plate is what got me in this mess in the first place. That’s why we are suppose to be taking our bariatric multi daily. To help assist with nutrients we can’t fit. You’re doing good. Keep up with your routine. You won’t be disappointed!

Edited by Sergeant

8 hours ago, Sergeant said:

I had surgery on 12/4/23 and I’m currently down 58 lbs. I’ve hit a few stalls and it seems like I’m not losing much at all anymore BUT it’s the non scale victories for me honestly. Like clothes fitting loosely. Joints feeling wonderful. Energy levels finally returning. Stairs being easy!! Confidence levels rising!! I’m feeling happy and healthy. Honestly choosing to enjoy this whole journey to better myself and my habits has been the biggest key. You have to change your mindset.

I think the stubborn belly fat is the last to go for most all of us. I got a facia roller… I use it about every other day on my stomach, thighs, and batwings lol and I think it helps break up the tissue and my skin is appearing smoother.

As far as others not noticing… it sucks but sometimes when you see someone daily you don’t notice changes. It takes time away that creates the shock. Don’t let that deter you or make you feel like this whole process has been worthless. You’re doing this for you! No one else!

Also, my doctor seems to be the only one that would prefer me to fast and only eat once a day. He says to focus mainly on Protein, but never gave me a daily goal. I eat what fills me and then I put whatever’s left away. Feeling the need to always finish my plate is what got me in this mess in the first place. That’s why we are suppose to be taking our bariatric multi daily. To help assist with nutrients we can’t fit. You’re doing good. Keep up with your routine. You won’t be disappointed!

I’m going through the same slow down. I don’t know. I think part of mine is I have not been to the gym in about a month. I am struggling with mentally not with it.

as far as your dr I’m sorry they are not better informing you of what to do. I know I am not in contact with my dr office except for follow up appointments but they gave me a whole packet of information to refer to for each faze. I am almost three months out now (it feels surreal I’m that far out already) but this is what my dr gave me for 6weeks and beyond. So it is a guide to what you should be eating. Each meal should only be about 1 cup. I do 1.5 if I am having salad but that is filling.

IMG_5264.jpeg

13 hours ago, Sergeant said:

My doctor recommended 60 grams per day of Protein, which seems low for my height. I probably need about 75 based on what I have read. It is all I can do to make it to 60. I feel like I am on a low fat Keto diet, lol. Thank goodness for the vitamins! I still have not had any labs ordered so who knows.

I received a packet from the dietitian recommending 5 small meals (1/4-1/2 cup each) each day. I have noticed that the recommendations differ vastly between different providers. I am supposed to be having regular appointments with my dietician but the appointments are always full so I have had no dietician contact post operatively. She doesn’t even respond to my emails (okay, she did once, two months after I asked a question).

In some ways I am relieved that no one has noticed the weight loss, but at the same time I want it to be noticeable, too. I guess 229 looks as huge to the average observer as 289. I look forward to passing from an obese BMI into just an overweight BMI. For my height that will be at 205. Maybe it will be noticeable at that point. But you’re right, you tend to overlook changes on someone you see on a daily basis.