Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Surgery Buddies!

@NickelChip I was the same way! Bought small bowls and plates (I love them!) these adorable snack boxes (love them too!) spoons that measure portions, toddler utensils, cookbooks, etc... The most useful item I bought besides those is a box of reusable baby food jars. They hold 4 oz which is perfect since I can only eat about 2-3oz at a time right now. I can prep meal servings in them and tuck them in the fridge and freezer for later. They are SO convenient and weren't that costly. I won't let myself buy clothes either so I had to direct my shopping gene somewhere! LOL

One thing I did not buy but believe is invaluable is a FOOD scale. It is so, so, SO much easier to use than trying to cram food into a 1/4 cup measuring cup. This applies even more strongly once you get to the soft foods stage and are eating a bite of this and a bite of that. They aren't very expensive, you can get a nice quality one on Amazon, mine has lasted for years, I used to use it for baking!

Also I found electrolyte powders invaluable for the cramps sometimes caused by going into ketosis. Make sure they are sugar free. And Water flavoring powders, I like the Jolly Rancher ones because they are sweet sour, which helps my nausea, but some people like lemonade or crystal light.

I also bought two double wall stainless steel 16 oz cups with lids. This proved to be brilliant because my post surgery stomach only likes really cold food or really hot food, not lukewarm. So I keep one filled with ice and pour drinks from my water bottle into it so I can keep track of how much I'm consuming. And I keep the other one filled with broth or Decaf tea or decaf coffee. Having a variety of fluids to alternate is my best trick for actually getting in your allotment each day.

6 hours ago, ChunkCat said:

I won't let myself buy clothes either so I had to direct my shopping gene somewhere! LOL

By far the craziest item I have purchased lately is a ZozoFit measuring suit. I have not yet used it, but I plan to put it on and do the measurement app the day before I start my pre-op diet and then once a month. I've heard the system can be glitchy, so we'll see how it goes. But I wanted an easy way to record my measurements over time, the same way my smart scale tracks things automatically for me. I would never presume to call this a must-have item, though.

Question: Any suggestions on good drinking broth? Or recipes for drinking broths?

I've started my pre-op liquid diet and with the weather getting colder I'm craving Soup or something warm in my belly. I have tea but I was trying to think of alternatives.

Scheduled for gastric sleeve 12/5. Nervous, excited, apprehensive. Keep rereading surgeon’s surgery/ post procedure diet book. Feel as prepared as I can get without actually experiencing it.

On 11/23/2023 at 2:30 AM, Sergeant said:

Question: Any suggestions on good drinking broth? Or recipes for drinking broths?

I've started my pre-op liquid diet and with the weather getting colder I'm craving Soup or something warm in my belly. I have tea but I was trying to think of alternatives.

For premade, I like the Kettle and Fire beef Bone Broth. But if you have the bones leftover from Thanksgiving, or from a rotisserie chicken, homemade broth is easy. Put the carcass in a Crockpot along with an onion cut into quarters and a sliced carrot and a celery stalk. You can throw in a sprig of thyme and a bayleaf if you want, but it's not necessary. Fill to 1/2 inch of the top with Water, turn on low, and let it cook all night while you sleep, 8-10 hours. Ladle the broth through a fine mesh strainer and skim off the extra fat. Add salt to taste.

Had my first consult October 13th. All my testing is complete as of last week. Was hoping to get a surgery date for late December but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. (Duodenal Switch)

I've been reading about others having 3 day up to a week liquid pre-op diets up to surgery. My surgeon said no less than two weeks. I guess all surgeons have their preferences. I've read a few books and listened to as many podcasts about Bariatric surgery per-op and post-op. I feel like a have a good hold on it.

I started a Keto/Carnivore diet back in June. Limiting carbs and Sugar wasn't a big deal starting a 100 Gram Protein & 100 Gram carb diet the dietician has recommended for me to be on now. I've lost 47 pounds since June and 27 since my October consult.

12 hours ago, NickelChip said:

For premade, I like the Kettle and Fire beef Bone Broth. But if you have the bones leftover from Thanksgiving, or from a rotisserie chicken, homemade broth is easy. Put the carcass in a Crockpot along with an onion cut into quarters and a sliced carrot and a celery stalk. You can throw in a sprig of thyme and a bayleaf if you want, but it's not necessary. Fill to 1/2 inch of the top with Water, turn on low, and let it cook all night while you sleep, 8-10 hours. Ladle the broth through a fine mesh strainer and skim off the extra fat. Add salt to taste.

I've been seeing a lot of Kettle & Fire suggestions... I think I'll have to grab some this weekend! Also, thank you for the quick tip on homemade broth! Sounds simple enough!

On 11/17/2023 at 20:01, Sergeant said:

Surgery scheduled for December 4th, 2023!! I've been fast tracked because I chose to go the self-pay route VS Insurance. Doc wants me on liquid diet 2 weeks prior to surgery... so no thanksgiving meal for me.

A little stressed & second guessing like a normal human would; am I making the right decision? Ultimately the answer is always YES. New things are always scary but there's no way to grow (mentally, physically, emotionally) if you never step outside of your comfort zone.

I’m December 7th and using self-pay because I didn’t want to wait 6 months for insurance. Good luck to you!

I did something today I wouldn't normally do. I was out and saw a dress on a clearance rack that really caught my eye. It was 70% off, but I was about to put it back because it's "not my size" when I realized it might fit me by the time the spring rolls around I would probably be about 4 months post-op by then. So I bought it! Of course, if I'm wrong, it was only $14. But it's exciting to have something in my closet to aspire to. Last time I lost a significant amount of weight was about 7 years ago, and not only did I regain it all, but I've moved since then and got rid of most of the smaller clothes. I think I have a few pairs of jeans and maybe a dress that I thought was too nice to give away "just in case." I think I'll mostly be living in oversized shirts and black leggings until the summer comes because I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff that I'll be out of quickly, especially since I work from home. Am I the only one thinking about this stuff, and a little afraid to jinx myself by buying clothing in a smaller size?

On 11/25/2023 at 3:58 PM, NickelChip said:

Am I the only one thinking about this stuff, and a little afraid to jinx myself by buying clothing in a smaller size?

Not in the least. I'm trying not to buy much at all lol. I have a box of smaller clothes when I lost over 100 lbs about 10 years ago (like size 13, 15, 19 juniors). I've bought a few pairs of my fav underwear in one size down from where I am now as the 3 pair I bought originally are already to large (guess thats a good thing). Other than that the only other things I've bought have been two pair of cute boots in a smaller size (where I was when I lost all my weight last time) and a workout set to aspire to. I figure the thrift shops will be my go to in between.

Hey everyone. I’m new here to the community. I am on my second journey to WLS. The first time life got in the way. I just hit my surgery date. December 27th!!

My friend that had surgery 7 years ago directed me to this community board

I’m happy to be here and so nervous about upcoming changes. The reality just set in.

Now I feel like I have to really buckle down. I’m worried I’m not prepared. Preop I’m good but my fears of unpreparedness is for after.

I have as much information as I think I need it is just getting organized.

1 hour ago, MLC3409 said:

Hey everyone. I’m new here to the community. I am on my second journey to WLS. The first time life got in the way. I just hit my surgery date. December 27th!!

Welcome! You're the same day as me!

One of the things I have done that I think has really helped me feel more prepared is watching YouTube videos. I started with every video available from both Dr. Matthew Weiner and Dr. John Pilcher, and I also watched all of the ones from Dr. Vuong, although I know he's a more controversial figure these days. But I did get a lot out of some of them when he was talking about your mindset and that type of thing. I also watched a ton of videos made by regular people talking about their experiences. I've done book research and such too, but I feel like the videos are just a way I can get a little bit of something to think about every day.

With 4 weeks to go, my plan is to try out a few recipes from the bariatric cookbooks I've bought and see if I can get some menu ideas for some of the earlier stages, figure out the groceries I will need, etc. Oh, and freezing some meals for my kids so I can avoid cooking the first few weeks. Other than that, I think we just have to take it one day at a time.

Yeah I haven’t done much pre- op like that wow! That is great. I have just been paying attention to my eating and drinking Water. This has always been an issue for me. I’m up to three 24 ounce cups a day now so that is an improvement.

I saw your post you did about your date but I don’t know how to reply or answer like you did. To be honest I’m finding the app rather clunky. I’m sure I will.

I actually live alone so I don’t have to worry about anyone else but great planning for the kids.

it seems like I have a bunch to catch up on. I will check out the videos thanks !
I wish you luck with your surgery. When we get to the “what have I done” stage at least we will have great supportive people to help.

Dec 19th DS. I'd gotten everything done right before the end of summer break but had to wait on the ok from insurance. Now I get to spend the holidays recovering. :)

I had my last consult with my surgeon yesterday, and I get to start the liver shrinking diet tomorrow. Last meal was pizza and hot wings tonight. I'm stocked up on Protein Drinks and Water and have my subscribe and save set from Amazon, but I guess it's time to start looking into other things once I get with my dietician. (She has COVID, so the meeting yesterday will now be a Zoom meeting Friday).

Excited and a touch nervous. 3 weeks!