Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Doesn't Love a Good Report? Share Here :)

I went to see my GP this week to get some testing done. I actually looked forward to going, knowing things would to be better than the last time I saw her pre-op. She along with everyone in the office flipped out when they saw me. I'm down over 80 pounds in 5 months. The nurse said I lost a small person. LOL

I could fit comfortably in the chair when they drew my blood. You know that little table that folds down in from of you? I had room to spare. She asked if I was having fun buying new clothes. I told her yes. I love thrifting and now able to get around to do it.

The head nurse had to come in and take a gander at me. She called me yesterday and told me my bloodwork results were amazing. Everything is in normal range now. I am no longer pre-diabetic. Even my liver and kidney functions are normal. Those things scared me the most and my main reason to get the Gastric Bypass. Don't ever let anyone tell you those things aren't reversable.

My GP said she can't believe my numbers. Told me all her sleeve patients don't have these kinds of results in a year, even after prescribing them Ozempic. She sees patients from a local surgeon who only does the sleeve with no follow up support. I'm guessing most of those people aren't following any protocol because I see the good results on here, every day, of sleevers' success stories. I love reading them.

I went out of town to get my bypass in April that thankfully has a great Bariatric support team. I go back to see them for my 6-month checkup Oct 11. They did a Vitamin panel on me last time and all was well except my B12 was a bit high but nothing to worry about. And I go back in January for my annual physical with GP. Was told they can hopefully start taking me off my meds. I will be closer to goal weight by then. Something else to look forward to. :)

3 hours ago, BabySpoons said:

I went out of town to get my bypass in April that thankfully has a great Bariatric support team. I go back to see them for my 6-month checkup Oct 11. They did a Vitamin panel on me last time and all was well except my B12 was a bit high but nothing to worry about. And I go back in January for my annual physical with GP. Was told they can hopefully start taking me off my meds. I will be closer to goal weight by then. Something else to look forward to. :)

High B12 is rarely an issue with people who've had WLS. Mine is always above 1000, and they've never said anything. It went over 2000 once, and they just had me cut back a bit on my supplement. I know a lot of WLS patients who say they feel better when their B12 is around 1000-ish (which is high). They get fatigued when it's lower.

congrats on your success - you have done great!!

9 hours ago, BabySpoons said:

I went to see my GP this week to get some testing done. I actually looked forward to going, knowing things would to be better than the last time I saw her pre-op. She along with everyone in the office flipped out when they saw me. I'm down over 80 pounds in 5 months. The nurse said I lost a small person. LOL

I could fit comfortably in the chair when they drew my blood. You know that little table that folds down in from of you? I had room to spare. She asked if I was having fun buying new clothes. I told her yes. I love thrifting and now able to get around to do it.

The head nurse had to come in and take a gander at me. She called me yesterday and told me my bloodwork results were amazing. Everything is in normal range now. I am no longer pre-diabetic. Even my liver and kidney functions are normal. Those things scared me the most and my main reason to get the Gastric Bypass. Don't ever let anyone tell you those things aren't reversable.

My GP said she can't believe my numbers. Told me all her sleeve patients don't have these kinds of results in a year, even after prescribing them Ozempic. She sees patients from a local surgeon who only does the sleeve with no follow up support. I'm guessing most of those people aren't following any protocol because I see the good results on here, every day, of sleevers' success stories. I love reading them.

My B12 was also a bit high on my last bloodwork (I think it was like 1200 or something like that) and they just said to cut back a little but that it was nothing to worry about. Your visit sounds like it went really well!!! Congrats :)

I had an appointment with my PCP yesterday and got online to review my lab results today and my B12 was 1543. I’m freaking out! Is that normal after Bariatric surgery? I’m 2.5 mo out from DS SIPS/SADI.

On 11/2/2023 at 6:44 PM, apalm said:

I had an appointment with my PCP yesterday and got online to review my lab results today and my B12 was 1543. I’m freaking out! Is that normal after Bariatric surgery? I’m 2.5 mo out from DS SIPS/SADI.

yes - very common. Mine is always over 1000, and has always been met with a shrug. It was once over 2000, and I was just told to cut down on my supplement. I know several people who've had WLS who swear they feel better when their B12 is over 1000. So...don't freak out - it seems to be fairly normal. Your doctor will let you know if he/she thinks it's a problem, and at most they'll recommend cutting down on your supplement.

Thank you for easing my mind. I truly appreciate this community!

Babyspoons, what a fantastic visit! That is so exciting, I'm glad you are having such a great surgery outcome. Being able to see those numbers normalize and knowing you can start coming off of meds is just thrilling!! So many of these things CAN be reversed or reduced with surgery. It is just such a modern miracle to me.

They took me off my blood pressure meds when I was in the hospital and told me I likely wouldn't need them anymore. I've been checking my BP at home and sure enough, it is steady and normal. No pounding headaches like before. I feel really blessed. And my GP took me off Ozempic and decided not to put me back on anything because I had surgery and she said she expected my follow up in 3 months to show normal levels! My fasting blood sugar in the hospital was 87!! I'm just so happy over it all...

Edited by ChunkCat

On 11/13/2023 at 3:46 PM, ChunkCat said:

It is just such a modern miracle to me.

I totally agree. So glad to hear you had your surgery and doing well @ChunkCat. We truly are blessed and feel so fortunate to get a new lease on life. Actually seeing results when nothing seemed to work for years pre-op is like you said...a miracle. Continued success and thank you!!

On 11/4/2023 at 1:38 PM, catwoman7 said:

yes - very common. Mine is always over 1000, and has always been met with a shrug. It was once over 2000, and I was just told to cut down on my supplement. I know several people who've had WLS who swear they feel better when their B12 is over 1000. So...don't freak out - it seems to be fairly normal. Your doctor will let you know if he/she thinks it's a problem, and at most they'll recommend cutting down on your supplement.

My blood test last month showed both B12 and folate as too high. B12 was 981 (normal is 142-775) and folate was 205 (normal is 6-34). They told me to switch my supplements. and take normal Multivitamins instead of bariatric ones.

I've been taking this bariatric multivitamins since my surgery, and my blood test earlier this year was ok. The folate especially seems really high. According to the label, one capsule includes 200% of daily value for active folic acid, and 41,6% of the daily value for B12.

Since I'm cheap, I figured I would just finish the bariatric Vitamins by taking them every other day, but I wonder if that was the right choice. I also read that high B12 in blood may be because your body isn't absorbing or utilising them right.

Also, I was a bit low in monocytes, which may mean my body is more susceptible to infection. They didn't mention this, I just saw it in the report. Has anybody else gotten this result?

High B and Folate can be a sign of poor methylation. Your GP should check your homocysteine levels. This is especially true if you have the MTHFR gene mutation.

2 hours ago, Fred in Pa said:

High B and Folate can be a sign of poor methylation. Your GP should check your homocysteine levels. This is especially true if you have the MTHFR gene mutation.

Thanks, I hope I can get my GP to measure that. They're sometimes quite reluctant to run some tests, almost as if they were paying for them out of their own pocket, which they aren't.

2 hours ago, Fred in Pa said:

Thanks, I hope I can get my GP to measure that. They're sometimes quite reluctant to run some tests, almost as if they were paying for them out of their own pocket, which they aren't.

Saw my GP yesterday and happy to say I was taken off almost all my meds @10 1/2 months post-op. One of my biggest goals met along with 100+ weight loss.

I never imagined it possible a couple years ago. I thought I was destined to die from being morbidly obese and from kidney failure from all the meds I've been on for so many years.

My bloodwork was perfect with no red flags or abnormal readings. With my hiatal hernia repaired I can breathe again, and exercise is a pleasure instead of an I'm out of breath nightmare.

My next goal is to get my BMI into the 20's.

I wish much success for all of you. Keep at it. Don't give up. If you work the program it will work for you too!! {{hugs}}

20 minutes ago, BabySpoons said:

Saw my GP yesterday and happy to say I was taken off almost all my meds @10 1/2 months post-op. One of my biggest goals met along with 100+ weight loss.

Oh this is wonderful!! I know what a big goal this was for you and I can relate to feeling like it was impossible a few years ago and now it is here. I'm so excited for you!! I wish you much luck in getting your BMI into the 20's. I think a lot of people forget how big of a deal it is to feel better in our bodies and be able to move better and be off of medications and such. Not everyone had those issues pre-op, but for those of us that did, it is a very powerful metric of success. ❤️