Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unable to get enough fluids or protein 5 weeks post-op

Hello all! Newbie here! I had gastric bypass surgery on August 8. Since then, I have not been able to meet my Fluid or Protein requirements, or even get close honestly. My Dr and dietitian just say "well, you have to." I'm still feeling weak and tired and just want to feel better!

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, recipes (I'm on stage 3) that might help?

Is there anything specific that you think is stopping you from reaching the goals? Would a clear Protein Drink help you kill two birds with one stone?

Ugh. It sounds like you would basically have to turn eating into your full-time job to reach the daily goals if you can only go a bite or two at a time.

If you are drinking your Protein this can count as your Fluid intake (this is what my nutritionist told me) for the 1st couple of months.
Try adding something like Drip Drops or liquid IV to your Water. Set a time for every 15 min to drink, even it’s a little sip.
I’m over 5 years out & I still have a time set with the Baritastic app yo remind me to drink.

If you are drinking your Protein this can count as your Fluid intake (this is what my nutritionist told me) for the 1st couple of months.
Try adding something like Drip Drops or Liquid IV to your Water. Set a time for every 15 min to drink, even it’s a little sip.
I’m over 5 years out & I still have a time set with the Baritastic app yo remind me to drink.

I'll have to try some Liquid IV. I'm so worried about getting dehydrated. On a really good day I may get 30-35 oz of fluids in.

It's frustrating because they tell you to listen to your body and don't eat if you're not hungry, but then you feel like garbage if you don't get your Protein and fluids in. I just don't know what to do.

It doesn’t matter if you take ages to drink or eat your Protein. I would sip my Protein Shake & then high protein yoghurt drink for hours. Just sip, sip, sip. I also ate some things very slowly too - just dipping in a teaspoon & not a full spoonful. In fact I still take an hour to eat my high protein yoghurt. I wasn’t interested I eating or hungry for almost a year but I knew I had to eat & drink to at least be close to my goals. It actually helped me change my relationship with food - that maxim of eating to live not living to eat. (My surgeon was okay if I wasn’t hitting those goals for the first month or so as long as I was close & getting closer.)

You can also boost your protein intake by adding Protein Powder to Soups, your own smoothies, yoghurts, etc.

I still can’t gulp down a glassful of liquid. One big mouthful or two swallows & that’s it & yes I still have to wait before I have another so I still sip all day long & I drink over night too. And I still take 39-45 minutes to eat what is about a recommended portion for a meal - like @sweetsmith78 about 8ozs of usually 3-4ozs protein & about 4oz steamed vegetables. In the beginning I was eating 1/4-1/3 a cup of food from purée for a meal & slowly increased to a cup at 6 months.

It does get easier. During the first couple of months you’re still healing & your tummy is sensitive & fussy with certain tastes, smells or textures literally turning your tummy & being impossible to eat.

All the best.

It took me for ever to reach my goals. Like 3 + months. They just told me to do my best. Protein yogurts were my saviour, 2 of these and a pint of milk a day and I had all my protein. Drinking seemed to take all day and all my waking night too. I had my surgery in coldest winter, so Hot Drinks were easiest for me to manage, although they did get cold before I drank it all. After meals if I found myself thirsty, I would suck a popsicle , its a Fluid. Once you can drink your ounces you will feel amazing. Its really worth while persevering, it does get easier soon

I had to keep going back a stage because eating 'normal' foods was so difficult for me

I had a relatively easy time after my surgery but it took me *months* before I met my Protein or fluid goals.

Keep the faith - if you're there or thereabouts then you'll be absolutely fine. 😍

Hey, @Jlw1403. I had my bypass + hiatal hernia repair on June 6th of this year. The operation went fine, and being on liquid, then pureed, all the various stages, wasn't hard, I just wanted more. I took the supplements (multi + Iron, and calcium) but as I progressed now more than 3 months out, I'm less hungry, find a lot of food or the thought of it, almost distasteful, and have to force myself to eat.

Drinking liquids is not a problem simply b/c I get dehydrated, especially in the Texas heat. You should talk to your surgeon/dietician and see if there is any physical reason why you are having a problem. I would not do it in an accusatory fashion- more in the "I need help here " vein.

I think, from what I've read here, that everyone's experience varies. It's like we all have different sensitivities to certain foods after the surgery, but-at least to me, you should be able to intake the basic minimum--

I was OK with the Max Protein Drinks for about 2.5 months- then I found them gag worthy and couldn't digest them. I'm told it's about sips, not guzzling, but still.

It is a pretty serious surgery- one that has a ton written about it in the med journals, and pretty safe in terms of outcomes. But tolerance for food and drink is probably very individualized. Get help. You don't have to suffer.

I didn't hit Protein goals until about 10 weeks probably. It's very hard in those early days and I just gave myself the grace knowing I'd get there. It was hard because of the small amounts your stomach could handle and it got so much easier once I settled into a good routine and started being able to eat more per meal. The biggest way I get huge amounts of protein daily is through yoghurt, buy high protein ones and add protein powder. I have a Ninja Creami and make frozen yoghurt that gives me heaps of protein. My current fave flavour is Malted Milk and a serve is 28 grams of protein.

My biggest suggestion is to really plan your days out and start eating as soon as you can otherwise time can get away from you. Focus on high protein foods, meats, dairy, legumes, low carb wraps are great. I have a wrap with cheese and salsa every day, it's about 15 grams of protein and delicious with a quick stint in the microwave.

I'm not great with fluids myself.

It will get easier, be kind to yourself and just try to do your best each day.

I'm down 72 pounds so my early struggles did not affect my progress. This is a marathon not a sprint.

Edited by CarolineLittle