Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss before surgery

I am meeting with my surgeon in a week to hopefully talk about a surgery date. The surgeon wanted me to lose 10-15 pound prior to this appointment, and I haven't been able to! I have major anxiety about this and am worried he will choose to not move forward. Has anyone gone through something similar?

Some doctors require weight loss. Mine did. If I didn't loose it they would postpone the surgery. Every doctor is different though.

Have you tracked what you ate during this time to show your efforts to lose weight?

22 minutes ago, LindsayT said:

Have you tracked what you ate during this time to show your efforts to lose weight?

Off and on. I have tracked some on an app, but not ever day. It’s been a struggle, lose 5 gain 7, lose 3 gain 5. Yo-yo.

51 minutes ago, kla7403 said:

Some doctors require weight loss. Mine did. If I didn't loose it they would postpone the surgery. Every doctor is different though.

Did you have to lose weight and then do a liquid diet before?!

This is what I did to lose 30 lbs in 30 days before my surgery: I would have a Protein Shake for Breakfast, another for lunch, and a hearty (ultra low carb) dinner. I started May 11th while I was still working (teacher), and kept at it until my surgery on June 19th. Altogether, I'd lost 32 lbs by the day of the surgery. The first 3-4 days are rough as you detox from carbs. By day 4, you should start to feel really good. Your mind is clear, your joints don't hurt as much, and your energy is up. You even get better sleep!

A typical dinner while pre-op dieting would be 4-6 oz ribeye steak (cut up and dipped in A1)

Or I would cut up 4-6 oz of rotisserie chicken and throw it into some cream of chicken or chicken broth. (Like chicken Soup, if you will)

I'd even eat a cheeseburger (without the bun, or course). If you have the space, eat a double! I'd been sleeved 14 years ago, so I still had restriction.

My 16-year-old daughter was inspired and dieted a bit with me. She's doesn't have any type of bariatric surgery. She was losing up to 5 lbs a week just by cutting carbs. She would have bacon and eggs with cheese for brkfst, she'd have a shake for lunch cuz school, and she'd have hearty, no carb dinners as well. Detoxing from carbs REALLY helps. Drink 5-6 bottles of Water a day. Have all the sugar-free Jello and sugar-free popsicles you want. They're considered Clear Liquids. You can even start taking bariatric Vitamins before your surgery to make sure your getting everything you need. Wish you the best of luck! :)

Edited by CarmenG

Were you given a plan to follow? Have you started meeting with a dietician/ nutritionalist yet?

I know weight loss pre surgery (additionally to the specific pre surgical diet)is a requirement for many surgeons & insurances in the US. But the reality is we’re seeking weight loss surgery because we haven’t been able to lose the weight alone. If the surgeon isn’t happy ask for some help with an eating plan & referral to a dietician. This should show you really want to do something about your weight & are committed to the process. Start tracking everything every day too so you can show them what you have been doing.

Fingers crossed for you.

16 hours ago, jacquelynn22 said:

Did you have to lose weight and then do a liquid diet before?!

I did lose. My goal over the 6 month program was to lose 21 pounds before surgery. The day of my surgery I was down 49 pounds. I did not have to do a liquid diet before surgery.

12 hours ago, CarmenG said:

This is what I did to lose 30 lbs in 30 days before my surgery: I would have a Protein Shake for Breakfast, another for lunch, and a hearty (ultra low carb) dinner. I started May 11th while I was still working (teacher), and kept at it until my surgery on June 19th. Altogether, I'd lost 32 lbs by the day of the surgery. The first 3-4 days are rough as you detox from carbs. By day 4, you should start to feel really good. Your mind is clear, your joints don't hurt as much, and your energy is up. You even get better sleep!

A typical dinner while pre-op dieting would be 4-6 oz ribeye steak (cut up and dipped in A1)

Or I would cut up 4-6 oz of rotisserie chicken and throw it into some cream of chicken or chicken broth. (Like chicken Soup, if you will)

I'd even eat a cheeseburger (without the bun, or course). If you have the space, eat a double! I'd been sleeved 14 years ago, so I still had restriction.

My 16-year-old daughter was inspired and dieted a bit with me. She's doesn't have any type of bariatric surgery. She was losing up to 5 lbs a week just by cutting carbs. She would have bacon and eggs with cheese for brkfst, she'd have a shake for lunch cuz school, and she'd have hearty, no carb dinners as well. Detoxing from carbs REALLY helps. Drink 5-6 bottles of Water a day. Have all the sugar-free Jello and sugar-free popsicles you want. They're considered Clear Liquids. You can even start taking bariatric Vitamins before your surgery to make sure your getting everything you need. Wish you the best of luck! :)

Thank you SO much!

12 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Were you given a plan to follow? Have you started meeting with a dietician/ nutritionalist yet?

I know weight loss pre surgery (additionally to the specific pre surgical diet)is a requirement for many surgeons & insurances in the US. But the reality is we’re seeking weight loss surgery because we haven’t been able to lose the weight alone. If the surgeon isn’t happy ask for some help with an eating plan & referral to a dietician. This should show you really want to do something about your weight & are committed to the process. Start tracking everything every day too so you can show them what you have been doing.

Fingers crossed for you.

Thank you! I feel a less stressed after readying your reply. You are right, this is why I am seeking help, I haven't been able to do it on my own. I had a few sessions with a nutritionist, and have made changes to my diet. This processing has really opened my eyes to my eating habits, and Portion Control is an issue. Also I've realized that I binge eating. These are habits that I've been working on. Hoping the surgeon sees that I'm trying!

On 8/21/2023 at 4:05 PM, jacquelynn22 said:

Off and on. I have tracked some on an app, but not ever day. It’s been a struggle, lose 5 gain 7, lose 3 gain 5. Yo-yo.

I just started the process. I still have tests to finish. Baritastic is an app they suggested for me to use, use it and track everything. As I said I just started the journey 4 weeks ago. I've lost 27 pounds just by keeping track. My first dietician visit is in a few days. Track everything. You will be surprised on how much it helps. You can do it.

Here are a few tips:

1. Be Honest:

• Communicate openly about your challenges and efforts. Honesty is essential for building trust with your healthcare team.
  2. Explain Your Efforts:

• Describe the strategies you've been using to lose weight and any difficulties you've encountered. This might include changes to your diet, exercise routine, or other lifestyle adjustments.
  3. Express Your Commitment:

• Emphasize your commitment to the weight loss journey and your understanding of its importance in preparing for surgery.
  4. Ask for Guidance:

• Seek advice from your surgeon on how to address the weight loss goals moving forward. They may provide additional support, resources, or recommendations.

Remember that surgeons are there to help guide you through the process and ensure the best possible outcomes for your health. While meeting pre-surgery goals is essential, the overall goal is to support your well-being.

If you're experiencing significant anxiety, consider discussing this with your surgeon or a member of the healthcare team. They may be able to provide additional guidance, reassurance, or resources to help manage stress and anxiety.

On 11/23/2023 at 8:14 PM, akayfman said:

Here are a few tips:

1. Be Honest:

• Communicate openly about your challenges and efforts. Honesty is essential for building trust with your healthcare team.
  2. Explain Your Efforts:

• Describe the strategies you've been using to lose weight and any difficulties you've encountered. This might include changes to your diet, exercise routine, or other lifestyle adjustments.
  3. Express Your Commitment:

• Emphasize your commitment to the weight loss journey and your understanding of its importance in preparing for surgery.
  4. Ask for Guidance:

• Seek advice from your surgeon on how to address the weight loss goals moving forward. They may provide additional support, resources, or recommendations.

Remember that surgeons are there to help guide you through the process and ensure the best possible outcomes for your health. While meeting pre-surgery goals is essential, the overall goal is to support your well-being.

If you're experiencing significant anxiety, consider discussing this with your surgeon or a member of the healthcare team. They may be able to provide additional guidance, reassurance, or resources to help manage stress and anxiety.

In principle, additions are unnecessary

I was also instructed to lose 10 lbs before surgery. I did initially lose that so my surgery is scheduled for January 30. Now I have monthly appts and if I regain the weight they will postpone my surgery. I have an appt on January 2 and I have gained like eight lbs back!! I am so mad at myself because I really don’t want to postpone surgery. I still have 18 days before my appt and so I’m being super strict now. Similar to what CarmenG said earlier: two Protein Drinks and a Factor meal in between.

it’s so hard though and I totally relate! My post-op friend said it’s much easier right after surgery because you don’t feel like eating so this pre-op weight loss might be the toughest to get through! But we can do it. I’m just trying to look forward and remind myself how much I want this change in my life. I’m so close to getting surgery, and I don’t want to push the date back. I want the surgery more than I want that (unhealthy food). Hang in there!!

25 minutes ago, SkyeBlu99 said:

I was also instructed to lose 10 lbs before surgery. I did initially lose that so my surgery is scheduled for January 30. Now I have monthly appts and if I regain the weight they will postpone my surgery. I have an appt on January 2 and I have gained like eight lbs back!! I am so mad at myself because I really don’t want to postpone surgery. I still have 18 days before my appt and so I’m being super strict now. Similar to what CarmenG said earlier: two Protein Drinks and a Factor meal in between.

it’s so hard though and I totally relate! My post-op friend said it’s much easier right after surgery because you don’t feel like eating so this pre-op weight loss might be the toughest to get through! But we can do it. I’m just trying to look forward and remind myself how much I want this change in my life. I’m so close to getting surgery, and I don’t want to push the date back. I want the surgery more than I want that (unhealthy food). Hang in there!!

You got this. I had my surgery Oct 11th and successfully lost and kept off 15 pounds. It was a struggle but I did it, you can too! You got this. Best of luck!