Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I know when I'm full?? - 1 week post-op

Hey y'all! I'm currently one-week post op and I'm trying to interpret when I'm getting close to full. In the beginning, I was starting to consume 4 oz at one time every thirty minutes to get my goals in (I've stopped that since, I take it much slower).

I never experienced any real discomfort even then but I'm afraid of hurting my sleeve. What are some signals that are experienced at this stage or what I should look out for? Any help is appreciated!

You won’t feel a lot of your old signals & your new restriction for a while (solid food usually) because a lot of nerves are cut during surgery & they have to heal. Secondly, liquids go through your tummy much more quickly so you don’t get full especially as you’re sipping slowly.

When your signals do start to get through, they are often different to how they used to be to you. For example when your hunger returns, you’ll likely realise real hunger is not wanting/craving a specific food, flavour or texture (that’s head hunger). I feel restless as if something is wrong & there is a reason I am hungry & not because of emotions, boredom, habit, etc.

I was advised to eat 1/4 - 1/3 cup of food from purée slowly increasing to a cup by about my goal at 6 months. Initially because of the lack of signals so I wouldn’t strain my healing tummy, & then to guide appropriate portions. Check with your team for portion sizes if you’re unsure - weight alone doesn’t always work or is easy to measure. But never worry if you don’t eat all of your portion - it all balances out & it means you’re listening more closely to your body & it’s needs. And in the beginning, same with hitting all you goals - as long as your making an effort & are close & getting closer you’ll be okay. It’s always harder in the first weeks.

The goal is not to feel full or to feel your restriction, but to learn when you’ve eaten enough or what your body needs not what you want to eat. Of course you don’t learn this overnight. I found asking myself if I need the next bite or just want it very helpful. Still do this 4 years out.

And finally, another thing you don’t learn overnight. It takes time for your full message to get through when it fully come back. So when you feel full you’ve already eaten too much & more than you need.

Sorry long post.

Early in the recovery process the signals are microscopic. My early signals were a runny nose or sneezing

When you get onto real foods its like 'wham' Full as a stomach can be. Its at that point you realise you have eaten too much.

It IS funny how the signals change. Now as I'm getting full ,I start to burp . It's like the food is filling up the last of the air space in my stomach. I've been stopping before that happens ,but it's like my stomach is sending out an alarm that says "for God's sake -- STOP eating !!" LOL

everyone seems to have different full signals, but mine was an increasing pressure in my chest.

once i started to feel a teeny bit of that i would stop. i also ate verrrrrrrry slowly so i had time to notice the feeling before it was too late.

too late == pain and barfing, so it was in my best interest to stop before i reached to point of no return.

Good Luck! ❤️

As others have stated, in the early weeks there really is no signals so you must measure your portions. When I first started introducing solid food my full signal was a runny nose followed by silent air burps. At almost 6 months post-op, I have gotten better at visually measuring my portions and stopping before I am full; but I still get the air burbs if I eat until I'm full.

I get that weird runny nose as well. Instead of how I used to feel like full deep in my stomach, now my full feeling is like at the top of my chest and sternum, like I can feel the food filling up my throat. I generally eat like 3 oz and just stop now before I get the full feeling because I don't like walking around too full.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches