Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Aversions After Surgery

Good morning everyone 🌞

My QOTD today is did anyone develop any food aversions after surgery? Any foods you used to like that now you can't stand? Seafood is already off limits for me so I'm hoping chicken or beef don't become one for me!

I couldn't tolerate sweet things for the first few months - like sweet Protein Shakes (I drank a lot of Unjury chicken broth shakes). And I couldn't eat bananas for like three years - too sweet.

So, I'm a coffee lover. I don't drink it fanatically like my siblings, but I've always enjoyed my morning coffee. Right now, I haven't started back on it. However, my 16-year-old drinks a cup in the morning and one in the evening. Used to be that every time she made coffee, I was mesmerized by the fragrance. It hardcore triggers the best memories of my mom (she drank coffee all day). Now, when my daughter makes her coffee, it smells like burnt meat to me. I'm hoping this passes because coffee is such a huge part of my memories, my morning routine when I'm working, and my family's socializing.:mellow:

So interesting! That would be cool if we started liking things we didn't like before haha (that were healthy) I actually really like the Protein Shakes right now and bought a ton of them so that's good to know so I stop buying for now 😅 hot chocolate for me has those warm memories you're talking about so I hope I can enjoy one for Christmas eventually but if not I'll take a chocolate Protein shake! I'm starting my semi liquid diet tomorrow! I ordered sugar free Jello, pudding, Gelatin, 100% fruit juice for Popsicles, Creamed Soups and Kettle and Fire Bone Broth (my favorite bone broth Soup brand, highly recommend!) I have some leftover rotisserie chicken so I'm going to make a crack chicken Casserole and do some fun recipes with ground beef!

I bought all of most of those things as well. I also added a flavorless Protein Powder to add to the chicken/beef broth. You can also add it to pudding, oatmeal, or other soft foods. The one thing I did learn was to slowly incorporate the Protein with a whisk and the broth can't be too hot. Otherwise, the protein powder becomes denatured. It gets clumpy and weird. But when I whisked it in slowly, the broth became almost creamy. I really love (still) the Premier Protein shakes. My favorite flavors are caramel and the cafe latte. The coffee one, though, actually has caffeine in it. It has the equivalent of 1 cup of coffee. I'm going to try one again today. I'm hoping that since it's a Protein Shake and not an actual hot cup of coffee, I'll be ok.

That's a good idea to add the Protein powder to broth since we need more protein, I'm going to order some today thank you 😊 do you have any brand recommendations? I haven't tried the coffee premiere protein because of the caffeine I am extremely sensitive to caffeine even before surgery I can't handle any caffeineted drinks because it gives me anxiety. I always see it at costco and want it but I am too scared 🤣🤣 but hopefully since you loved coffee before it will be okay!

I bought the Isopure whey isolate Protein. whey protein is more readily absorbed. I would also add it to a 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes after they cooled down a bit, so that it wouldn't be a completely valueless pureed food. 😁👍(For the 1/2 cup mash, just a half scoop which is 12.5g protein.)

P.S. the caffeine Protein Shake worked out great!

Oh yeah Isopure is a good brand i forgot about! I used it when I did Keto. Did your surgery team give you all this good advice or you learned on your own? I'm learning more from you guys and my book than them lol. So Mashed Potatoes is allowed in the pureed stage?? That will be a lifesaver. Glad to hear the shake worked out!

They did suggest that particular brand of Protein Shakes, but the unflavored Protein powder was my idea. They did give me literature to explain each eating stage that also had suggested menus. They did not give me explicit instructions on exact nutrition information such as calories, carbs, and Fiber. But I'm a 14-year veteran of a sleeve gastrectomy. There are a lot of things that I figured out by trial and error (like losing my gall bladder 2 years after getting sleeved due to TOO MUCH protein) that have really helped me this time around.

44 minutes ago, MasonMoonGirl said:

I just ordered the Isopure flavorless! Who needs a gall bladder anyways 🤣

You're crazy, lol. But seriously, though. Too much Protein will put a strain on you liver, gall bladder, and kidneys. According to what I've read, the amount of protein a person needs before surgery depends on your gender, age, and weight. After surgery, it will depend on if you're absorbing everything you eat, or if you have a malabsorptive surgery. Protein intake for bariatric patients, pre or post op is meant to replace the protein we lose with weight loss. ;-)

I should change my name to Cliff Claven. IDK if you're old enough to know who that character is. LOL!

So far my only aversion is beer. I can't stand the feeling of it on my tongue or the sour taste. I was an avid beer drinker and now, hard pass. I think is the hop because I can do champagne but I'm actually glad I can skip it and save those empty calories.