Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best Vanilla Protein that isn’t Premier

Hello all. I am nearly 13 weeks post RNY. I am eating all kinds of modified regular foods, so overall I don’t have a problem meeting my Protein goals. I still have a Protein Shake daily - however it is because it’s the easiest way to get a huge dose of protein in with my morning coffee. I’ve never been one to eat solid foods so early in the morning.

I make proffees and while it was a bit of an adjustment to my regular cup of coffee, I am so used to it now. My preferred protein shake of choice to use is the Fairlife Core Power vanilla shake as I can use it both cold and heated depending on whether I want hot or iced coffee. I mix it up a bit and also have the Fairlife Nutrition plan chocolate shake as well for a mocha. I much prefer the vanilla, but they are so hard to come by these days. I either cannot find them anywhere locally and/or the online retailers and nearby stores have them at insane prices.

I do not like the taste of Premier Protein shakes at all. They taste much to chemical and box like. I have tried the Quest shakes and it’s ok in a pinch, but the aftertaste is more pronounced. Shakes are so expensive so the trial and error is a bit daunting. I have tried Ensure Max in their coffee flavor and again the chemical and box taste is just like premier.

My second favorite has been the Chike Protein Coffee powder, but I only have these iced and they have a bit less protein so I mix them with Fairlife Skim milk and a scoop of collagen.

I have tried Isopure unflavored Protein Powder and tried to incorporate it, but for something unflavored it reminds me of infant formula and is not pleasant.

I am considering trying the Unjury ready made vanilla shakes, but unsure if I’ll like them and because it’s only sold in larger packs, I’m stuck with it if I don’t like it.

What are Protein Shakes people are liking?

I am not a big morning Breakfast food person either, so I usually drink mine. I haven't tried mixing my Protein into my coffee yet though. Usually, will have my cup of caffeine then go workout. Try to drink my protein as soon as I can following. I use an unflavored powder so I can add to food or drink. I also buy in bulk.

New World 100% whey isolate Protein Powder, 26g Protein, Servings & Flavors Vary - Walmart.com

I really enjoy this brand and never tire of it since I'm always changing up my flavors using dark cocoa, Peanut Butter powder, crystal light flavors, Greek yogurt etc. Yesterday I mixed up a chocolate peanut butter shake that was really yum with skim milk. Sweeten with Stevia when needed. Not sure how this mixes with hot liquids though. But now I'm inspired to try it with a cold coffee brew. :)

1st Phorm. All their flavors are good.

AlaniNu's vanilla is pretty great and it's lower in calories than a lot of other popular shakes.

On 7/9/2023 at 2:12 PM, Shanna NYC said:

....What are Protein Shakes people are liking?

On 7/9/2023 at 2:12 PM, Shanna NYC said:

I have tried several powders and settled on Isopure (have not had the unflavored). I prefer dutch chocolate and strawberry, but vanilla is not bad. I believe the taste is better when it settles after being mixed. The vanilla and chocolate make great pancakes- I make them for my boys and they love them.

I am 4 days post-op. I've recently added raspberry Isopure Protein Water. It's nice to have options. They come in different flavors, at 20-40gm of protein per scoop/premade bottle. They taste like flavored water...love them.

3 hours ago, Amerime said:

I have tried several powders and settled on Isopure (have not had the unflavored). I prefer dutch chocolate and strawberry, but vanilla is not bad. I believe the taste is better when it settles after being mixed. The vanilla and chocolate make great pancakes- I make them for my boys and they love them.

I am 4 days post-op. I've recently added raspberry Isopure Protein Water. It's nice to have options. They come in different flavors, at 20-40gm of Protein per scoop/premade bottle. They taste like flavored water...love them.

I was mainly looking for another option to mix with my coffee as I don’t tend to drink Protein Shakes alone anymore. I get my morning coffee with my jumpstart of protein to start the day. I didn’t do this until 30 days post-op because I couldn’t have caffeine and Decaf was awful lol. So I find vanilla is little easier to mix. (Though I have also tried the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Chike protein coffee and it wasn’t so bad).

I am not opposed to other Protein Shake chocolate options if I wanted to blend it up even with ice for a treat, but I had gotten sick of chocolate ones for awhile since that flavor was and is the only one I can find in costco. I was drinking 2 a day pre-op and nearly everyday for a couple weeks post-op.

I do drink the Protein 2O protein waters. I don’t drink them as often now since I can make my protein goals mostly with my morning proffee and foods, but I will still throw them in on days I fall short. I agree it’s a nice way to mix it up without adding more heavy milky liquid.

8 hours ago, pintsizedmallrat said:

AlaniNu's vanilla is pretty great and it's lower in calories than a lot of other popular shakes.

Thanks. I like their energy drinks. They come in interesting flavors.

I might have to go into a GNC and just try a few bottles of different things.

8 minutes ago, Shanna NYC said:

I was mainly looking for another option to mix with my coffee as I don’t tend to drink Protein Shakes alone anymore. I get my morning coffee with my jumpstart of Protein to start the day. I didn’t do this until 30 days post-op because I couldn’t have caffeine and Decaf was awful lol. So I find vanilla is little easier to mix. (Though I have also tried the chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Chike protein coffee and it wasn’t so bad).

I am not opposed to other Protein Shake chocolate options if I wanted to blend it up even with ice for a treat, but I had gotten sick of chocolate ones for awhile since that flavor was and is the only one I can find in costco. I was drinking 2 a day pre-op and nearly everyday for a couple weeks post-op.

I do drink the Protein 2O protein waters. I don’t drink them as often now since I can make my protein goals mostly with my morning proffee and foods, but I will still throw them in on days I fall short. I agree it’s a nice way to mix it up without adding more heavy milky liquid.

I see. I've tried protein in my coffee in the past but it did not work for me. I'll be happy when I can have caffeine again, Decaf is just not the same!! Good luck on your search.

14 hours ago, Shanna NYC said:

Thanks. I like their energy drinks. They come in interesting flavors.

I might have to go into a GNC and just try a few bottles of different things.

I don't know how attached you are that it must be vanilla, but their Fruity Cereal flavor is by far my favorite. It tastes like Froot Loops and milk.

On 7/11/2023 at 1:12 PM, pintsizedmallrat said:

I don't know how attached you are that it must be vanilla, but their Fruity Cereal flavor is by far my favorite. It tastes like Froot Loops and milk.

I'm only looking for vanilla purely because I just like to get my Protein in with my coffee.

I'm not a fan of fruity cereals so I'm sure I wouldn't care to much for that flavor. I have a bunch of bottles of strawberry banana Core Power because the fruity creamy flavor is just not for me.

I appreciate the suggestion though!

On 7/12/2023 at 2:04 PM, Shanna NYC said:

I'm only looking for vanilla purely because I just like to get my Protein in with my coffee.

I'm not a fan of fruity cereals so I'm sure I wouldn't care to much for that flavor. I have a bunch of bottles of strawberry banana Core Power because the fruity creamy flavor is just not for me.

I appreciate the suggestion though!

I got french vanilla ENSURE MAX Protein 35 grams protein 1sugar 2carbs (something like that)..

The french vanilla mixed with dunkin donuts coffee in the morning for breakfast taste great.

Been my go to breakfast every morning. I make 10 cups of coffee, mix half of french vanilla in 5 cups then when i am ready I do the other 5 cups and mix the other half !!! have fun

I like the Body Fortress vanilla powder. That brand was on the recommended list from my dietician.