Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Curious About Post-Op Days

The first two weeks after my bypass I was a little sore. I do have a higher pain tolerance so all I needed was over the counter Tylenol. I think I was having a hard time not being able to lift and hold my 3-year-old. That lasted for about 6 weeks. The tenderness seemed to go away between the 6-8 weeks mark. By the 2nd week I was trying not to overdo it. By 3-4 weeks I got this burst of energy. I found that it was very helpful to wear the binder when I was up and moving around. I still from time to time use it and I am 4 months post op. The first big poo is a nightmare that no one at the drs office tells you about. I literally birthed a horse pellet 3 times in the first 8 weeks. I found taking a dose of Miralax daily and 2 Colace a day has helped with getting hard stools. This was told to me ok to do by the nurses from Weight Management as well as the Surgeon. But walk as much as you can as soon as the nursing staff let you get up. It helps a bunch.

It really depends on each individual and how good the surgeon is.

After surgery I had a slight sore throat, and I slept through day 2 for the most part. I asked for nausea meds before surgery cause I'm prone to nausea so since they were prepared, and because if that I had no nausea. I was pretty much normal on day 3 but very tired. Didn't need any pain meds because I really had no pain except for incision pain and that was more annoying.

Waking up I was in moderate pain, had nausea and needed to burp! Meds helped and I was able to get a burp out. I slept most of surgery day, I was extremely tired.

Gas pain was never bad for me. Didn't get it often and when I did it was only fleeting. Pain was never bad, meds manage discomfort well.

Drinking didn’t hurt, having to take small sips is annoying but it gets easier quickly. I preferred warm liquids so drank a lot of broth.

A body pillow helped me side sleep comfortably at home.

I was fatigued in the early does and again around 10 days, I slept a lot. Nausea also returned temporarily.

Recovery is a bit rough but not terrible. Just part of the process. Best of luck!

Oh and definitely be prepared to be constipated! The first month was not fun in that department. You may go 2 weeks without a bowel movement, it's quite common. I'm more regular now but previously I was resorting to stool softeners and even a home enema and suppositories. Suppositories worked best when I was really backed up.

First few days post op bypass were ROUGH for me. I had post op depression, I was in pain, my potassium dipped so low I was symptomatic and thought I was dying. Spent from 2pm -4am in two different ERs that day. I would cry in my kitchen because of regret and guilt with having the surgery. I didnt know how I was supposed to get my fluids in and Protein AND focus on healing. I was feeling very, very down. I started taking things moment by moment. I advocated for myself about the low potassium and low heart rate i was experiencing. I bought a 64oz water bottle and made sure it was finished by the end of the day. I got a pill organizer and organized all my meds and Vitamins so that I didnt feel like poop. I started walking around my house to ease the pain since it was so darn hot outside. I told myself that my body had just been though A LOT of trauma and that I have to treat it with love. I have a tattoo on my arm that says, “this too shall pass” and I reminded myself of that every day. I reminded myself of what a beautifully raw process getting WLS is. I made sure to seek support and help when I needed it most. You WILL feel like crap after surgery, thats a given, but IT WONT LAST. Just remember that even in your darkest moments. You got this.

The first two weeks I was achy, gassy, and slow moving. The binder helped a lot. I set a timer and sipped liquids slowly from small 1oz cups. The liquid goals seemed impossible to reach at first. I walked as much as I could several times a day albeit very slowly. Lived in fear of Constipation but miralax daily helped as did a 1oz swig of prune juice.
As I drifted off to sleep I would think of the non liquid foods I would have eventually like fish, meats, and eggs in a dreamy over the rainbow way which is humorous now as now much later I much prefer plant based Proteins.
Good luck take it one day at a day and be gentle with yourself.

I’m almost 3 weeks post op, and the most important thing I’ve learned is not to have back to back days of puréed beans! Lol the gas pain sat me down for a whole day. I’m in puréed tuna and ice cold Water has been my game changer. I had a hard time getting my liquids in, I guess it was all those flavored and zero sugar drinks, my tongue felt burned out and I got dehydrated. Once I just did straight ice cold water, I could sip easily and get my 64oz in pretty easily(took all day) but I got very hydrated. I think I’m over the hump, and soft foods start next week. Lookout Babybel cheese, I’m ready heheheh!

It's so different for everyone. For me, I had minimal pain, but was tired ALL THE TIME. I definitely got tired of liquids and Protein Drinks. I struggled with that part. I didn't want to cook either because I couldn't eat it. So if you have a family to take care of, maybe make some freezer meals ahead of time.
Weeks 3 and beyond weren't bad. The puree stage was tolerable. I made things I liked and just pureed them, so it wasn't awful.
To be honest, the first 6 weeks can be a challenge, but it's totally worth it. Keep with your program and continue to read posts on here to get an idea of what to expect. But keep in mind, for every bad experience, there are at least 20 good experiences.
I am looking forward to hearing more about your journey!

I feel very lucky. I am 6 days out from surgery and feeling pretty good (albeit I get tired easily). I still have some soreness in my belly (it really gets better each day). The advice to walk as soon as you can after surgery is spot on. I am convinced the walking I did prevented the gas pains so many people talk about (I passed gas during/after each little "lap" in the hospital...versus when lying in bed). My throat was sore from the intubation, but I forced myself to sip Protein Shakes and Water pretty consistently while awake, so I have avoided dehydration and the headaches that go with that. There is some itching around the incision sites, but it's not awful. I did set an alarm for the first day or two after surgery to wake up to drink. Also, my MD recommended Miralax in the evenings once a day. I have done that and avoided Constipation. Best wishes for a successful surgery (and when you are in that awful pre-op liquid diet phase, remember it is time limited. I found that harder than post-op!).

Edited by ToInfinityAndBeyond

I am now 4 days post op. No pain and no nausea. I walked a lot the night after the surgery and the morning before I left the hospital. I didn’t experience the gas pains I read a lot about. Two days out and I was able to walk a mile. I enjoy walking. I’m not hungry at all but I miss real food. Forcing myself to drink Water and these Protein drinks. They tasted better when I didn’t have to drink them. I bought chicken broth to use with the protein Soups, that seems to help a bit with the taste. Otherwise, already I’ve noticed a change in the way my clothes are fitting me. I have not gotten on the scale yet. My plan is to wait until my first phase change, which is 8/22.

I had my surgery on the 17th of July and I’m at my purée stage and I hate it! I think I’m at a stall! I did fantastic up until then! I lost 30 pounds. I walk a mile in the morning and a mile in the evening.

I’m 72 hours post op, definitely relying on the pain meds to get me through but they are also helping me rest a lot, I can feel the gas in my shoulder right now and hoping it dies off these next few days. Walking is great, I’ve only paced around in my home but today I hope to get outside a little bit. Made I through one small Gatorade zero over 12 hours, hoping I can do a Protein Shake today but they are harder to drink probably b/c they are thicker.

I’m day three post op, had sleeve Wed and came home next day. The anesthesia kicked my butt (1st surgery)! The hospital was a bit whack, but once the pain and nausea under control it was mostly soreness. Didn’t help that some of the nurses wore hideous perfume that would make want to puke! Day one home I was still real tired, constipated and gas in abdomen that was uncomfortable. The issue is stomach learning how to work again and not sure what your feeling. So today up and around fine, only doing light stuff like taking out garbage, watering yard plants, etc. Trying to keep up with fluids, Vitamins and protein!!