Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello fellow Bari-people!

I have had a fear of anesthesia ever since I can remember (I think I got it from my mother, as she has the same fear). Of course I will have to face that fear come surgery day (06/21)... I know that's probably the last thing I should be worried about in this process, but I'd be lying if I said the thought of being put under doesn't keep me up at night LOL.

I was wondering if anyone is open to sharing their stories with anesthesia and what that was like (in regards to bariatric surgery OR any other kind of surgery). I'm hoping some strong people can help me feel a little bit stronger, too.

Thank you in advance!

Hi there, I’ve been under general anesthesia five times in my life so far and it’s no big deal. I always think well, if I’m gonna go, let it be this way! No pain, no dreams, nothing. Brain zzzzzz.

seriously though, you fall asleep and wake up. It feels like no time has passed. My biggest issue is feeling nauseous afterward, so my team made SURE I didn’t feel that way with special medicine and Valium. my anesthesiologist was also amazing… he explained everything and answered my questions too. You’re gonna be okay, friend!

6 minutes ago, mcipanda said:

Hi there, I’ve been under general anesthesia five times in my life so far and it’s no big deal. I always think well, if I’m gonna go, let it be this way! No pain, no dreams, nothing. Brain zzzzzz.

seriously though, you fall asleep and wake up. It feels like no time has passed. My biggest issue is feeling nauseous afterward, so my team made SURE I didn’t feel that way with special medicine and Valium. my anesthesiologist was also amazing… he explained everything and answered my questions too. You’re gonna be okay, friend!

Thanks so much :')

I've been out under anesthesia 5 or 6 times myself. I, too, let them know before hand that I get easily nauseated and they give me something beforehand. I personally love being under anesthesia because one minute you are looking around the room, usually at a smiling nurse or doctor, and before you know it, the surgery is all over. As if you closed your eyes for a second, and it's already done. Talk to your team about your fears so they will be prepared as well.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

I've been out under anesthesia 5 or 6 times myself. I, too, let them know before hand that I get easily nauseated and they give me something beforehand. I personally love being under anesthesia because one minute you are looking around the room, usually at a smiling nurse or doctor, and before you know it, the surgery is all over. As if you closed your eyes for a second, and it's already done. Talk to your team about your fears so they will be prepared as well.

Will do:) Thanks!

In my lifetime anaesthesia has come such a long way . In 1997 I was told I could never have it again because I had such a bad reaction to it. Yet things have moved on so far its really as safe as can be. In 2010 I was put in a induced coma for three weeks. It saved my life. I had zero effects from my sleeve surgery, it took 3 hours due to lots of scar tissue from former abdominal surgeries. I had no gas issues or pain.

Ask to speak with the anaesthetist. They will put you at ease. Ask for a pre med. You will be fine. My only issue is the socks they make you wear. Super sexy - not.

Like others said, communication with your team is important! I was super scared of the anesthesia too. I found that talking with the team about my asthma reactions to being under worried me. They were honestly unaware of my symptoms after, so we managed them. The thoughts that calmed me were;1 I’m not doing the surgery, I’ll essentially be asleep. 2. The anesthesiologist and my surgeon were clearly friends and joked happily with me and the nurses. 3. I pretended I was going on a flight to Hawaii. The sounds of the air, and beeping noises, conversation, and music were all part of a great flight to a new land. You can pretend it’s a bus or train ride, pick your adventure.

I've had four surgeries. I never had issues with anesthesia other than the very first time, when I was nauseated after waking up. For my following three surgeries, I always told them about the nausea, so they'd give me one of those anti-nausea Patches you put behind your ear before surgery.. Worked like a charm! And if you're really anxious before surgery, they can give you something for that, too (like Valium, as someone said)

it's no big deal. They'll hook up an IV bag when you get to the hospital, and then just before they roll you into the OR (or with some surgeons, they'll wait 'til you're IN the OR), they'll put the anesthesia in your IV line and you'll be out like a light. You won't be aware you're falling asleep and you won't remember any of it. In what seems like a split second later, you'll wake up in the recovery room and realize the surgery is done and that an hour or two has gone by, It seems a little weird to be talking to the surgeon or one of the nurses, and then the next thing you know it's two hours later and you're in the recovery room, but that's how it goes

anyway, it'll go off with a hitch. But if you're really nervous, let them know that. They'll give you something for it.

General anasthesia is rather miraculous. They have you count down from 10 to 1, and before you get to 1 you are completely knocked out. Next thing you know, they're wheeling you out of the operating room. You have absolutely no memory of what has happened for the past 90 minutes or so.

You're right. Among the things to worry about, the anesthesia is among the least of your worries.

I was like you- although I wasn’t worried about going under or the actual surgery/recovery later- I was instead more worried about the nausea/potential sickness waking up. About ten years back I had breast reduction and was just miserable waking up, got throw up sick and was just out of it. So every subsequent procedure i went to, I shared that experience and team took precautions to minimize it. Since then, I do fine- just be sure to be your own advocate- TALK to the team about it all the way up until they put you under. You will be fine, and they will take good care of you.

I've only had general anesthesia twice. Once as a young teen, and then for this surgery. Great experience both times. I chose some calming, empowering phrases like "I am making an amazing choice to take care of myself." "I am safe here." And fun ones like "see you in a minute!" to my spouse. The anesthesiologist team was great, friendly and calm. He put a little something in my iv before we left pre-op, and although I was aware of going down the hall, and seeing a couple familiar faces in the OR, talking to the nurse who was adjusting the board at my feet, and recognizing the country song that was playing (couldn't tell you what it was now though 😅), the next thing I knew I was in my room, and my spouse was coming in. I just felt very sleepy and although I kept trying to open my eyes to talk to the nurse and my husband, the nurse was like "just go back to sleep! Everything's great!" So I did ha. You've got this!!

I've been under a general now 4 times. Tell them you're nervous, though regardless they should give you drugs in your IV beforehand that send you off into fun-times give-no-f's la-la-land (seriously, it's a hoot). Then they'll tell you they're giving you the anesthetic, and you will experience a total time-jump. There's literally nothing, no sense of time passing. You will suddenly be in recovery like you've been teleported there. Coming out of anesthetic is woozy and dopey, and you will likely be feeling pain from the surgery. You'll be able to tell the nursing staff this, and they'll give you morphine or another strong opiate. The journey from recovery back to your ward bed will barely be remembered.

I completely get the nerves, though! My first time going under (a knee reconstruction decades ago), I felt so utterly vulnerable and afraid, I cried. The nurses were very kind, and helped me through it, so absolutely tell them how frightened you are! Every surgery since, I've been cool as a cucumber because knowing what to expect takes all the fear out of it.

Main thing to remember though: you have an entire team of incredibly smart, incredibly skilled anesthetists whose entire career and job is keeping people alive during surgery. They are amazing. I have a brother-in-law who is head of the department of anesthetics at a major Brisbane hospital, and he's extraordinary and so passionate. So try to keep that in mind! They're there for you.

I’ve had a few general anaesthetics over the years (three in the last four years) & it is like the others have said, like falling asleep at night & then waking up without the dreams. When I wake I feel a little off & a little doughy in the head until I fully wake. And yes it has come a long way since my first lot in 1985 when I had my wisdom teeth out - nausea, vomiting, disorientation but think some of that was from swallowing blood during the surgery & bring forced awake in recovery.

Let them know about your fear & hopefully they will give you sometime first to take the edge off. The Anaesthesiologists I’ve had have been pretty good about keeping me calm distracting me though I don’t have any concerns about it. One of my last ones was discussing gin & whisky with me as he put me under. Another was making jokes about how I’d managed to slice off part of my thumb so I needed the surgery.

Are you afraid that you won't wake up? I often look forward to the anesthesia. Silly, I know. I play this game with myself. I will myself while they are about to put me under that I refuse to "fall asleep." I always end up in the recovery room, diappointed that I lost. It is so instantaneous. You are out before you can even think about it. My issues are with being strapped down or my movement being restricted in any way. (A history of childhood sexual abuse.) I always request that I not be strapped to the table until AFTER I am unconscious. That's just my thing.

Perhaps your fear is with all the prep and questions asked of the nurse anesthetist or anesthesiologist. Admit to them that you are anxious. Sometimes they can give you something ahead of time to reduce that anxiety. Play a more active part in your experience. Be honest about your worries. I would never downplay or discount anyone else's fears. I have plenty of my own fears. Some of them are irrational, some less so.

I hope I have been helpful in some small way. I also hope that when you return you will let us know about how your experience turned out. The thing that brought me back to this site is the caring and understanding by people who've been where we've been and understand/empathsize with our struggles.

On 5/26/2023 at 11:48 PM, mcipanda said:

Try not to sweat it. My anesthesiologist had me out before I even knew. Next thing I remember was being rolled to recovery, and singing a tune. Literally.