Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for "shorties" that started around 200 lbs

I want to start by saying I know that "everyone is different," and "it's not a race, it's a journey", but I sometimes have a hard time relating because I had VSG at 199 lbs (I'm 5'2") and the weight loss just seems so much slower than most of what I see online. I'm 6 wks post-op and down 21 lbs since surgery and 33.5 lbs including pre-op diet. I've seen the charts saying how much I can expect to lose in what time-frames, but I would love to hear from others with similar starting stats. I get discouraged pretty easily and need some inspiration or similar stories.

How long did it take to reach your goal? How much had you lost at about 6 wks (or 1-2 months?) When did you see the biggest loss?

Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-S918U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had my surgery on January 25th, 2023, Im 5"1 and I weighed 210 lbs. Today I weigh 157 lbs. So it's almost been a little over three months and I feel better but still have some issues when it comes to eating. Some days I cannot eat a bite and on others, I can eat a small meal without difficulty. I am happy with my decision to make this lifestyle change overall.

13 minutes ago, Yahoo said:

I started at 198 and am 5’3. Lost 10 lbs pre surgery and am at 169 now. Surgery was March 20th

That's amazing! Would you mind sharing what you're doing food/exercise wise?

7 minutes ago, AprilTheGreatMystery said:

I had my surgery on January 25th, 2023, Im 5"1 and I weighed 210 lbs. Today I weigh 157 lbs. So it's almost been a little over three months and I feel better but still have some issues when it comes to eating. Some days I cannot eat a bite and on others, I can eat a small meal without difficulty. I am happy with my decision to make this lifestyle change overall.

That's great! Do you remember how much you'd lost closer to 2 months?

My hand is up. I’m 5’3” & weighed 200lbs when I started. I lost to my goal by 6 months (132lbs - so loss of 68lbs). I kept losing very slowly for another 10 or so months until I reached 108lbs - a total loss of 94lbs. I’ve been pretty much stable since then aside from little fluctuations & I’ll be 4 years out on the weekend.

There is no right or wrong rate of your weight loss. There are averages but like all averages (statistics) some will lose more than the average others less. And some will lose at a faster rate & others will lose at a slower rate. Averages only give you an idea of what might happen not what will happen. And all of this is okay. Remember it’s not a race.

There are some things you can pretty much rely on. If you weigh more at the beginning you tend to lose larger amounts at first (like you see on My 600lb Life). Your weight loss is always more in the beginning. Everyone’s rate of loss slows. If you follow your plan, you will lose at the rate that is right & best for you. Nothing wrong with 21lbs in 6 weeks. (I’d lost about 22lbs at 6 weeks.) That’s about 3lbs a week. Can’t complain about that. The only time you should be concerned is if your surgeon or team is.

Celebrate every pound you lose.

My hand is up. I’m 5’3” & weighed 200lbs when I started. I lost to my goal by 6 months (132lbs - so loss of 68lbs). I kept losing very slowly for another 10 or so months until I reached 108lbs - a total loss of 94lbs. I’ve been pretty much stable since then aside from little fluctuations & I’ll be 4 years out on the weekend.
There is no right or wrong rate of your weight loss. There are averages but like all averages (statistics) some will lose more than the average others less. And some will lose at a faster rate & others will lose at a slower rate. Averages only give you an idea of what might happen not what will happen. And all of this is okay. Remember it’s not a race.
There are some things you can pretty much rely on. If you weigh more at the beginning you tend to lose larger amounts at first (like you see on My 600lb Life). Your weight loss is always more in the beginning. Everyone’s rate of loss slows. If you follow your plan, you will lose at the rate that is right & best for you. Nothing wrong with 21lbs in 6 weeks. (I’d lost about 22lbs at 6 weeks.) That’s about 3lbs a week. Can’t complain about that. The only time you should be concerned is if your surgeon or team is.
Celebrate every pound you lose.

Thank you! This gives me so much hope. I feel like it's been a struggle to even get this far. What did your exercise look like in those first 6 months?

Hi- im 5’2’’ and started at 195. I lost 12lbs in the three weeks I had to surgery, then went into surgery at 183.6. I am currently 8 weeks and 3 days, and weigh 155.6 today. I agree- it will come and I’d prefer to lose more slowly so my skin has some chance of recovering too- even though i know that is a bit of a pipe dream. I try to keep in mind this is not a magic wand, it comes down to my choices with this tool I’ve acquired. I am still only eating 2-3 oz at a time, 2-3 small “meals” a day and a Protein Shake to make sure i hit my Protein goals. Im hitting fluid goals at about 68-70oz Fluid, so still working on that too.

Also, I think my body has some memory of these weights, and I tend to get “hung” around some that i stayed at before- ie, 165, current one 155, and coming up 145… so expecting some resistance on these numbers- and more slowly as i get closer to goal. I do FEEL tons better though- less joint pain and tiredness, so that is a WIN!

For me, the numbers on the scale mean less that how I feel- so im enjoying it!

On 5/8/2023 at 5:05 PM, greeneyedgirl79 said:

I want to start by saying I know that "everyone is different," and "it's not a race, it's a journey", but I sometimes have a hard time relating because I had VSG at 199 lbs (I'm 5'2") and the weight loss just seems so much slower than most of what I see online. I'm 6 wks post-op and down 21 lbs since surgery and 33.5 lbs including pre-op diet. I've seen the charts saying how much I can expect to lose in what time-frames, but I would love to hear from others with similar starting stats. I get discouraged pretty easily and need some inspiration or similar stories.

How long did it take to reach your goal? How much had you lost at about 6 wks (or 1-2 months?) When did you see the biggest loss?

Thanks!!

10 hours ago, greeneyedgirl79 said:

Thank you! This gives me so much hope. I feel like it's been a struggle to even get this far. What did your exercise look like in those first 6 months?

I didn’t exercise & still don’t. I do some stretches, use a resistance band & do some sit ups now but more to help with my back & to keep me a bit limber than for anything else. I wouldn’t burn 30 calories. (Ironically I would burn more calories if I weighed more LOL!) I really don’t enjoy structured exercise at all. It’s boring, I don’t like being forced to ‘perform’ & I hate being sweaty. I do my stretches, etc. in 5-10 minute blocks through out the day (it’s called exercise snacking & is just as beneficial as doing a single long block of exercise). I’m more willing to do it like this.

Exercise only accounts for about 10% of any weight you have to lose. Want to lose 60lbs? Exercise will only contribute to you losing about 6lbs. Of course there are many other benefits to exercising but don’t rely on it for boosting your weight loss.

I have never been this successful with sustained weight loss ever before & I’m almost 58 so have quite a few years of dieting experiences. 😉 I’ve changed so much about my relationship with food. I still enjoy food but know & accept I can’t just eat what I like, when I like & how much I like. I don’t consider I’m making sacrifices or missing out. It really is about changing your thinking about food & eating. It doesn’t happen over night but you’ll get there too. Day by day, week by week.

Heyyy! I'm 5'2, my highest weight was 295 but I was 200lbs the day of surgery. I'm 8 months post-op & I'm now 133lbs (I surpassed my goal weight, I'm now aiming for 130lbs)

At 2 months post-op I was also down 21lbs! Yeah it feels slow in comparison to others but sticking with it & being STRICT is what helped me get to my goal weight in under a year.

Seriously, take advantage of this honeymoon stage. You may think your journey is slow but every little ounce ads up FAST

1 hour ago, qtdoll said:

Heyyy! I'm 5'2, my highest weight was 295 but I was 200lbs the day of surgery. I'm 8 months post-op & I'm now 133lbs (I surpassed my goal weight, I'm now aiming for 130lbs)

At 2 months post-op I was also down 21lbs! Yeah it feels slow in comparison to others but sticking with it & being STRICT is what helped me get to my goal weight in under a year.

Seriously, take advantage of this honeymoon stage. You may think your journey is slow but every little ounce ads up FAST

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to hear!!

On 05/08/2023 at 22:21, greeneyedgirl79 said:

That's amazing! Would you mind sharing what you're doing food/exercise wise?

So weird hearing someone say that’s great - I feel like I hit a stall every couple of days. I have followed the program (though walking now that I have started work is hard). In addition to Water and Protein goals my team gave me a Fiber goal (though I have heard anyone talk about a fiber goal in this forum). Was told don’t worry about calories or carbs - but listen to your body

On 5/8/2023 at 5:05 PM, greeneyedgirl79 said:

i'm 5'2", started at 235 at beginning of 2wk pre-op diet.

was 223 on surgery day (12 lbs lost during 2wk pre-op diet)

lost 21 lbs month 1

lost 17 lbs month 2

then roughly 10 lbs a month after that until goal (127 lbs) at 7 months post op

im 4.5 years post op and clocked in at 121.1 lbs this morning (though i haven't pooped in like 6 days so im literally full of sh*t again lol) i know i actually weigh less but we'll have to wait till the poop fairy comes to know exactly what that is!)

Edited by ms.sss