Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Can I Drink More Water??

Does anyone have any tips on getting more water/fluids in? I use sugar-free drink mixes and sugar-free sports drinks all the time but I still can't get enough fluids. I have a Water tracking app and a 64oz water bottle but is there anything else that I can do or use?

Any help is appreciated :)

i started making myself drink 16 oz of Fluid (water or flavored water) first thing in the morning, as soon as I get out of bed. Then I've got 1/4 of my fluids knocked out before I even get dressed!

I have a timer from Bartastics sent for ever 15 minutes reminding me to drink. I have silly sayings like “Must drink coffee”, “It’s 5 o’clock somewhere “ , “It’s wine o’clock “, “Tequila because Water is boring “, & “Must go pee” as reminders.

Establish little habits so you drink when ever you do something specific. I keep Water by my bed so every time I get up to pee I drink (before & after). At work, read an email then sip. I sip every time I get in or out of the car & at every red light. You can do this with public transport too. Watching tv or a movie sip every scene change or ad break. Sip after every page or two you read. Keep liquids by your side always. Yes, setting a timer can help too but as you’re new out try every 3-5 minutes as you are only sipping. It does get easier and you will be able to do more than just sip.

Welcome! You just have to make yourself drink. Carry a Water bottle with you everywhere you go. Drink like it's your job - because it is.

I bought a HidrateSpark Water bottle. A bit pricey but worth it.

It pairs to your smart phone and tracks your water consumption by ounces in real time. It sends reminders and visually alerts you to drink.

https://hidratespark.com

How many are you getting in now? It took me 2-3 months to steadily hit that 64oz minimum. I was told by my team the 1st month to get at least 48oz since my body needed that at a minimum to function, but after month 2 I was told to prioritize fluids over Protein since I could always supplement with a shake. You can start drinking 2oz every 15min and see how it goes, and always track it.

I drink a cup of Water when I wake up and before my cup of coffee (with protein shake), then when I exercise about 45 minutes I drink 24 to 32oz during the session, that puts me at over half my daily intake which now I aim for 80oz min. I have a water bottle next to my bed, one in the bathroom and I always carry a 32oz bottle with me out and around the house. Also try different temperatures, I was always a room temperature person, but after the surgery I prefer cool water so I drop some ice cubes to make it cool but not cold. I also keep water flavor packets in my office, in case I'm tired of the water by mid afternoon.

It does get easier once you are able to drink more often, I can have 3 sips back to back and that helps tremendously.

I start off the morning with a full bottle of Water. My surgeon told me at my 2-week follow-up and looked at me pointedly and he said to sip water often throughout the day. He also said to keep a water bottle handy at all times. It took awhile but now I am drinking water all the time now at 14 weeks.

I think I’ve always linked drinking Water with successfully following my plan. It might be from WW? Early on I had a timer go off every 15 minutes. Also my Fitbit goes off every hour to remind me to move. I link up movements with drinking now. I have a container with hourly markings for 32 oz . I got the 32 or 900ml because I walk a lot at work and didn’t want a supper huge water container to lug. Just say to yourself “as long as I’m drinking water I’m following my plan.” (Later if you go back to snacking, that little mantra can keep you away from trouble too.”

I’m 5 weeks out and having a horrible time with Water. The drink mixes have been too sweet now so I try to do a little bit at a time and see when it’s flavorful but not too sweet. Even sugar free Gatorade is too sweet and I try to dilute it.

After my first bout with dehydration I started to pedialyte to my water. It has sugar, but all the true hydration drinks do. it’s hella sweet too, so I dilute that as well.

My problem is the doctor just told me I HAVE to up my calories to 800, as I only get between 550-650 a day. Now with all this extra food I have less time to drink because we have to wait 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after eating to drink. I just don’t have the hours in the day or the space in my stomach to drink all this water.

Do you think I might have a stricture?

Yes i am having the same issue i work overnight till 5am and then go to gym after work then sleep most of day to go back and do it again . but i know I'm not getting enough Protein and definitely Water in . It worries me .

Edited by lizz7449

On 5/4/2023 at 4:32 AM, Fred in Pa said:

I bought a HidrateSpark water bottle. A bit pricey but worth it.

It pairs to your smart phone and tracks your Water consumption by ounces in real time. It sends reminders and visually alerts you to drink.

https://hidratespark.com

Oh, I've never heard of this before! I am pre-op and even pre-op I can't seem to drink the required amount. Part of my problem is I can only drink Water ice cold and that makes it harder to track because of the ice, etc. I'll have to check this out.

I bought some plastic ice cubes and use those now - they won’t dilute your drinks but it won’t make us feel like we're drinking endless Water when the ice melts!

I also filled 8 mason jars with 8 ounces each and put them in the fridge. I numbered them and use the plastic ice cubes to keep it cold.

I have pretty much met my water goals since incorporating this method instead of trying to put it in a big tumbler. Although when I leave the house I do take a big tumbler and just deal

- question about the hydrate - how does that work with ice?