Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High Protein Alternatives - Cereal, Chips, etc.

My surgery is on March 8th so I'm a long way off from eating real/regular food but as I was in my nutrition course I really did feel healthier prioritizing Protein intake. Just felt like I always gravitated towards carbs naturally previous to my nutrition course. That being said, does anyone recommend higher protein alternatives to foods they used to eat? I'll start with some!

• I do like how crunchy and textural chips are so I stocked up on Quest Protein chips - usually b/w 17-20 g protein for a small bag. Definitely not the same but an interesting alternative.
  • Then I recently came across Magic Spoon - it's a 13 g protein bowl of Cereal. I have not tried this before and wondering if anyone else has?

Any other alternatives to recommend?

1. Premier Protein chocolate Almond Cereal (it is actually whey Protein isolate flakes), it contains 20g protein in one cup of it. I like to mix it with Failife Nutrition chocolate shake (30g of protein).
2. Premier Protein pancakes (I bought it in Sam's club) - I like it either with crunchy Peanut Butter or sugar-free raspberry jelly.
3. Oikos Pro yogurt (20g protein).

4. Daisy cottage cheese, single serve, plain - 17g Protein. Can be mixed with fruits of your choice or nuts.
5. Members Mark mesquite grilled chicken fillets from Sam's club - airfryed and eaten with salad, 21g protein for 3oz or more, depending on its size.

8 hours ago, BrigitteLM said:

My surgery is on March 8th so I'm a long way off from eating real/regular food but as I was in my nutrition course I really did feel healthier prioritizing Protein intake. Just felt like I always gravitated towards carbs naturally previous to my nutrition course. That being said, does anyone recommend higher Protein alternatives to foods they used to eat? I'll start with some!

• I do like how crunchy and textural chips are so I stocked up on Quest Protein chips - usually b/w 17-20 g protein for a small bag. Definitely not the same but an interesting alternative.
  • Then I recently came across Magic Spoon - it's a 13 g protein bowl of Cereal. I have not tried this before and wondering if anyone else has?

Any other alternatives to recommend?

Try not to focus on future eating. Take it a day at a time, follow your meal plan and get your fluids in. Getting your protein and Water in will be your focus for a while. Stick to your plan.

I second Travel RN! You can find those alternatives later on as you go. One of the biggest things my dietitian has focus on is whole food eating - so staying away from those alternatives as primary nutrition. Every office is different but the biggest thing is to stick to your plan!

I third it. It may be some time before you are allowed to eat some of those foods certainly while you are losing. The time while you are losing is a great opportunity to break old habits, cravings & food preferences & to find alternatives to your traditional food choices. Also many find their taste buds change too so don’t buy up big as you may find when you try them they taste disgusting.

Carefully read nutrition panels not just for Protein, carb, sugar content but also the specific ingredients. For example no sugar products usually mean no added sugar but rely on artificial sweeteners (some find they upset them after surgery especially the sugar alcohols) & fruit juices/purées which still feed your desire for sweet & you don’t know how much they use.

Look to low processed foods & raw ingredients. Try to prep more food yourself so you have better control over the ingredients & how you cook it. Look for & try other foods you can snack on & not just a high processed ‘healthier’ version of a something you always ate like chips. Not saying don’t have them but be very conscious of portions & frequency. They can be useful to have on hand & if travelling. I always have baked fava Beans or chick peas, hummus & rice crackers in my kitchen for when my young nieces & nephews or friends pop by.

When losing I got in 50-60g protein every day without any protein enriched processed foods (except yoghurt) or protein supplements/shakes. I get in 60-70g now.

In saying all that you will find your own way, what suits your body & it’s needs & your lifestyle.

Thanks all for the recommendations! I’m not really thinking of it for myself in the immediate, just generating some conversation - I’m sure this list might interest others who are many months post-Op!! Was just something on my mind as I love the idea of focusing on Protein in future, just feel it’s such a great life habit.

I did not know Premier did other items outside of their shakes, so that’s super cool.

Most of the "protein infused Keto friendly" alternatives to that sort of thing taste awful and have a weird texture. No joke I would rather slowly nibble on one regular Dorito than eat an entire bag of those Quest chips.

Hello, welcome to the Bari world!

You will learn very quickly that everyone has their opinion about foods/shakes. Not only how something taste but also their opinion on it's value to your diet. (Is it healthy? Should you eat it? Don''t eat carbs.. do eat carbs.. etc.)

I always say, follow YOUR teams/Dieticians plan! Period. You trusted them with your life (literally) so you should trust them in your recovery and your WL process. Every team is different, different rules, different guidelines, everything.

I tried a bunch of different "alternative" foods. Some are ok, most I didn't prefer. I find it easy to hit my Protein goals, so I don't need to make sure EVERY single item of food has protein. I still drink shakes every day for Breakfast but that is mainly because I am not a morning person and don't like to eat in the mornings. Otherwise most of my nutrition is from whole foods. My point is, if I feel like I really want "need" some chips, I just eat a few regular ones. I eat regular cereal (usually raisin bran) with fairlife milk. With that being said I reiterate ALL PLANS ARE DIFFERENT. I am "allowed" anything in moderation as long as I am hitting my protein/fluid/ WL goals. My Dietician says "you shouldn't feel like you are on a diet for the rest of your life, you should modify your eating habits to gain a healthy life and learn moderation".

Now, to actually answer your questions. My opinions:

Quest chips: They are ok, the taste is good but the texture is a little weird to me. They feel powdery to me and do not hold up to any type of dipping or even to use as nachos.

Protein cereal: I have not specifically tried the magic spoon brand but have tried a few others. I hated them ALL. haha Literally hated them, brought them to work and threw them on the "sharing" table in the lunch room and it all sat there till i threw it away. I have tried premier brand, they are SO HARD and taste like stale rocks. I ate 2 bites and tried to flush the rest down the toilet and they wouldn't even flush! haha I also tried the brand "wonderworks keto" and felt just about the same way although they were better than the premier. They were ok to eat dry as a snack but disgusting with milk.

To each their own, you may find like some other people that you love them.

I have also tried Quest protein pizza, it was actually good but not a big enough deal to me for the price. I will jsut eat regular pizza. Usually a few bites and then just the toppings. Or, make home made pizza on low carb/calorie wraps.

I don't know what else I have tried other than probably hundreds of Protein Bars, which I still randomly try and eat once in a while. Usually more of a Meal Replacement in a pinch than a snack.

Ok- I have rambled long enough!

best of luck on your journey!!

Now I have my eye on Protein I also don’t find it hard to hit 90g of protein in a day but I’m pre-op and nearly there to the other side.!!!!

@kcuster83 - love the mentality of not feeling like you’re on a forever diet! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the different alternative foods and love that many are seeking whole nutritious foods after or just other food in moderation vs targeting specifically these “synthetically” protein rich foods.

It’s definitely food for thought!! 😜