Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else lose so much you ended up with Neck Waddle

3 years ago I had a RNY bypass, lost 126 lbs. I’m down to a size 8 some 6’s but I’ve always liked my clothes loose. I’m still trying to get use to the changes to my body, and I’m wondering what others have done to better these problem areas. Mine is my neck, I now have all this extra skin that hangs like a Turkey waddle and I’m very conscious of it. When the pandemic was happening and we had to wear masks I could hide it with the mask. Now that the pandemic is pretty much under control tho I feel like that’s what people look at when they look at me. Please help me, get rid of this, is there exercises that will get rid of it? I’ve been using collagen and retinol creams and putting collagen in my Soups even. Plastic surgery is my last resort if there even is a surgery to remove neck skin.
My other problem area is my arms - bat wings, I’ve been lifting 10 lb weights doing various exercises and I do see some change but not enough that completely satisfy me, again I use my lotions and take my collagen but could use some suggestions from someone that might have had the same issues and let me know what they did. Thank you😀

yes - plastic surgery will get rid of it. I hated they way my neck looked, too, so I had a face/neck lift. The turkey neck is no longer there!

Oh, yes--along with drooping jowls. I look so much older than I did before surgery. However, that's a small price to pay for the overall benefits of weight loss. As a man, I'm not so interested in plastic surgery on any other part of my body, but I've been looking into a lower face and neck lift. Perhaps later this year.

It’s all skin that has been over stretched much like an old well used hair band or old well worn knickers. Your skin will bounce back a little but factors like age (we stop producing elastin in our early 20s), how much weight you carried, how long you carried it, genetics, etc. impact how much loose skin you end up with.

There’s nothing you can do about except have it surgically removed. Exercising works on the muscles not the skin so the scaffolding underneath might be better but the skin will still be loose except for what you fill out with muscle. collagen & retinal creams won’t really help with the laxity (certainly not how much we can have). They will make your skin smoother, even out skin tone & texture. Same with collagen supplements.

Honestly I’ve tried a few things for various periods of time and I still have loose skin. I’d give it 4-6 months & if no change I gave up on it. My skin quality has improved & my arms are nicely shaped but I still have bat wings, marionette lines on my face & a little waddle. Initially after my loss I had a number of fine lines that ran from under my chin. They’ve reduced dramatically but whether it was RF, collagen serums, collagen supplements, UV lights, my remaining body fat resettling & a better diet I don’t know but there’s still loose skin. I had some filler put in the side of my face just in front of my ears - was sunken there as I had no fat left in those pockets at all. Thought we ‘d try it to see if I got a little lift too - not noticeable if it did give a lift but my face shape is better.

I’m trying dermal needling RF (Secret RF) at the moment. Predominately for acne scarring but if I get a little tightening that’s a bonus. I know it won’t get rid of it. I mean I am almost 58 & naturally should have some laxity & saggy skin. Aging & gravity are hard to beat … except with surgery.

The loose skin is way better than being obese.

Edited by Arabesque

9 hours ago, Arabesque said:

The loose skin is way better than being obese.

This is what I always try to tell myself; while less attractive than I'd like, the loose skin is not going to harm me. Those extra 130 pounds may have killed me.

I have about 25 pounds to go til I reach my goal. I'm already getting something going on with my neck. It looks like stretch marks or wrinkles, or something. I imagine it will become a wattle.

I figure that the people who matter don't care what my neck looks like. And the people who do care, don't matter.

My mother died at the age of 55. Her mother died at the age of 52. If I get to grow old, I reckon that I really ought to be grateful for all the wrinkles.

OMG me me me!!!!! I have turkey neck and I absolutely can't stand it. You can hide loose skin every where else, but not the neck. It's driving me nuts. Taking collagen doesn't help. Neck exercises don't help. Nothing but plastics will help, but I'm not at goal yet so that's still a ways off.

That’s me too, even tho it’s been 3 yrs I am still losing weight but it’s very very slowly. The biggest chunk is gone, Thank goodness 😀 My doctor is happy with my progress and tells me I look healthy and I feel so much better. I figured surgery is probably it for when it comes to Turkey waddle neck but was hoping someone had a secret trick. Lol I have noticed with time and more activity I’m getting toned and my other areas are looking better and I may not need anything done. My neck and my arms tho, Eeeeek

Yeah I got it. I dislike it but when I wear my hair down I've been enjoying hiding it with face-lift tape!

Yep. I have lots of loose skin... everywhere. And I wear it as a badge of my accomplishment of weight loss. No plastic surgery for me. I have had enough necessary surgeries. If my extra fat and skin in my stomach made movement difficult, I might have had that removed, but it doesn't, so insurance wouldn't pay for it, and I do not think I would put myself through anesthesia that is not needed. I don't worry about the extra skin, and the turkey neck thing is just there, and is part of who I am now. I recently was seeing a child in foster care ( I am a social worker ) and was doing some games with them as I was doing some play therapy. The 4 year old reached up and flapped the skin on my upper arms and was hysterical with glee. The foster mom was horrified. I laughed and redirected the child to more appropriate play. She asked why I had that, and I said because I am old. (Also true). No big deal !!!

I feel the same @Briar Rose about the loose skin on my body, arms & legs: badge of honour. I’m vain enough to want to try to improve my face but nothing invasive.

Snap. One of my nieces used to play with my upper arm batwings. She’d say it’s so soft & squishy & even squeeze her hand under sleeves to play with it. I’d laugh when she did it just like you. Sometimes I’d say you’ll have your own to play with when you get as old as me. 😁

Edited by Arabesque