Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications 11 yrs after surgery

When was the last time you were checked for levels? You may need an infusion/iv.

I just had blood work and everything looked good. Iron was good. I also forgot to mention the non stop stomach pain. Gastroenterologist was confused as to why everything in my inside stomach area were in different spots??? I'm like...say what now? They now think I have a hiatal hernia. Fun times

I'm sorry you're going through all this. :(

I had pretty severe anxiety before surgery. But, it eventually got under control and then I was able to get off my meds (citalopram and buspar). A few months later, I had my surgery.

My surgery was on a Tuesday. The following Saturday, I had the worst panic attack that I'd had in years. Once again, I started taking the buspar. My anxiety is currently well controlled.

Have you tried changing your meds? It could be that the medication that you used to take, isn't working anymore.

It helps me to remember that anxiety is a lie. It's a false alarm. The anxiety comes from the stories that we tell ourselves, surrounding the trigger. My therapist and I have been working on me becoming an observer, rather than a judger. It's easier said than done, but it does seem to be helping.

Hi

Yes, I have tried many different meds. Right now my med provider tells me she doesn't know what to do because some meds we've tried raise my BP. I currently take busbar as well with 2 other psych meds. One being a sedative. My anxiety and panic seen to be non stop. I also see a therapist and he's does the EMDR and also teaching me about what you're be taught. It's not working. My brain is fighting against me and winning. I really hope everything works out for you. Everyone is different so I wish you much success on your surgery. Be sure to take your Vitamins and Protein ❤️☺️

I’m about 9 years out from RNY and I’ve also had a lot of issues with meds. I’ve found (1) I absolutely cannot do anything that’s an extended release med and (2) I have to be constantly on my doctors as an advocate for myself about things like this. No matter how many times I tell them, they forget about my specific med needs when prescribing things or I have to remind them that in medical care situations they might need to think outside the box because of my digestive system’s format. Currently dealing with this right now Re: a medical issue so I sympathize.

I am so sorry you're going through this as well. I'm just giving up. No one will listen. My med provider just keeps saying she doesn't know what to do. Specially any meds that can raise my blood pressure. To keep hearing that, it makes me worse. My anxiety is stronger then it's ever been. I hope we can get through this and someone wakes up and understands this. ❤️

52 minutes ago, Mia2515 said:

… My med provider just keeps saying she doesn't know what to do. Specially any meds that can raise my blood pressure…

My GP put me on fludrocortisone for my low blood pressure. Don’t know if it is slow release though. It didn’t help me though so stopped taking it. Just a suggestion.

I am 11 years out of Bypass surgery as well. And yes I have had many complications and struggles as well. My mind set going in was I would do exactly what my surgeon told me to the T. No if and are buts. I guess me being a retired Military Guy we tend to do those things. Well my 1st 8 months went perfect. I went from over 300lbs to 190. Feeling like a million bucks. Woke up one day with intense paid in my abdomen and off to the ER. Internal Hernia. My intestines poked thought the sac that holds them. Well 2 months later another. Im still losing weight following directions. Another 5 months had another repaired. Well in 2016 all heck breaks loose and I think here we go again. But this time it was way worse. All of our intestines ect float around in internal fat ect. Well when you lose a lot of weight you lose that as well. I was down to around 168 lbs in the best shape of my life but my intestines/colon had gotten twisted this time in a bad way. So by the grace of god the surgeon on call that night had seen this before with people that had weight loss surgery done laparoscopically. He went in and took 2 feet of my colon and was able to save them and re-attached. He basically said when a surgeon can get his hand on things and tighten them back up like they should be he see these things. He advice was to put weight on and get the internal fat back in so my intestines could float as they are supposed to. And he was right. I was so focused on hitting my goal and finishing 1st I guess I didnt understand or wasent told body physiology. I am back up to around 225 and all of my problems for the most part have gone away except post-op depression still after 11 years. I was fortunate he was on call that night and we have become friends and he had educated me so much from a surgeons point of view that corrects these things. He is a bariatric surgeon but fixes the problems associated with it as well. I hope that gives you a little incite that yes problems happen. You cant go back in time but if I could I would still have had the surgery but wouldnt have done it laparoscopically and let them cut me . But Im here and healthy and living life and try not to dwell on it. I hope this helps you even if for 5 minutes reading my story.

On 03/10/2023 at 14:12, Mia2515 said:

I just had blood work and everything looked good. Iron was good. I also forgot to mention the non stop stomach pain. Gastroenterologist was confused as to why everything in my inside stomach area were in different spots??? I'm like...say what now? They now think I have a hiatal hernia. Fun times

different spots 😳 this is so stressful to hear and when we ask questions they make us seem crazy for asking. I hope things get better for you soon. I think I need to see one as well since i'm not getting far with my surgeon for all the issues i'm having smh.

On 03/30/2023 at 10:48, Lawman said:

I am 11 years out of Bypass surgery as well. And yes I have had many complications and struggles as well. My mind set going in was I would do exactly what my surgeon told me to the T. No if and are buts. I guess me being a retired Military Guy we tend to do those things. Well my 1st 8 months went perfect. I went from over 300lbs to 190. Feeling like a million bucks. Woke up one day with intense paid in my abdomen and off to the ER. Internal Hernia. My intestines poked thought the sac that holds them. Well 2 months later another. Im still losing weight following directions. Another 5 months had another repaired. Well in 2016 all heck breaks loose and I think here we go again. But this time it was way worse. All of our intestines ect float around in internal fat ect. Well when you lose a lot of weight you lose that as well. I was down to around 168 lbs in the best shape of my life but my intestines/colon had gotten twisted this time in a bad way. So by the grace of god the surgeon on call that night had seen this before with people that had weight loss surgery done laparoscopically. He went in and took 2 feet of my colon and was able to save them and re-attached. He basically said when a surgeon can get his hand on things and tighten them back up like they should be he see these things. He advice was to put weight on and get the internal fat back in so my intestines could float as they are supposed to. And he was right. I was so focused on hitting my goal and finishing 1st I guess I didnt understand or wasent told body physiology. I am back up to around 225 and all of my problems for the most part have gone away except post-op depression still after 11 years. I was fortunate he was on call that night and we have become friends and he had educated me so much from a surgeons point of view that corrects these things. He is a bariatric surgeon but fixes the problems associated with it as well. I hope that gives you a little incite that yes problems happen. You cant go back in time but if I could I would still have had the surgery but wouldnt have done it laparoscopically and let them cut me . But Im here and healthy and living life and try not to dwell on it. I hope this helps you even if for 5 minutes reading my story.

Do you mind sharing the Dr name with me? That knew how to fix the issue you had in the Er. My messages are open. I'm having so many issues as well and only 9 weeks post op. Been having issues since week 1 po and it's mentally draining. You're the first person to mention about thing's twisting. I have this as well my stomach twisted after being sleeved. Along with vomiting acid reflux and two surgeries so far and counting smh. I don't want to keep getting cut. I want this issue fixed. I have been on a liquid diet for 2 months never advanced to any stage as of yet ☹️

Thank you for that information. I'm having nonstop stomach discomfort. Gastroenterologist prescribed me dicyclomine for stomach pain it helps a bit, not a lot. My last endoscopy he did he was confused to as why everything inside of me wasn't were it was supposed to be. My stomach has moved to the other side. I was very confused by this. I'm pretty sure that's because of the gastric bypass right?? I just don't know anymore but I can't handle these post complications with this surgery at all. It's running my life

On 03/30/2023 at 17:14, Mia2515 said:

Thank you for that information. I'm having nonstop stomach discomfort. Gastroenterologist prescribed me dicyclomine for stomach pain it helps a bit, not a lot. My last endoscopy he did he was confused to as why everything inside of me wasn't were it was supposed to be. My stomach has moved to the other side. I was very confused by this. I'm pretty sure that's because of the gastric bypass right?? I just don't know anymore but I can't handle these post complications with this surgery at all. It's running my life

So so sorry to hear 😢 I'm praying for you ♥️. Hoping it get better soon. 🫂 🫶

On 3/30/2023 at 3:14 PM, Mia2515 said:

Is your gastroenterologist and bariatric surgeon talking? They need to communicate. As someone who has had a LOT of post surgery complications, I do sympathise a lot. Hang in there, but get these people to talk to each other and get them to come up with some answers.